Re: brothers, dogs, and xtras

  • akyramoto
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
      i haven't trained my dog to run along the side of the bike yet, but
      she will ride in a tote. Here's some pics & a video

      video.........
      http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/Xtracycle/?action=view¤t=P8250227.flv
      pic....
      http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/Xtracycle/P8250230.jpg

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Forrest Halford" <fdh@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, Devian Gilbert wrote...
      >
      > >i once met a guy who's dog would run along side, up the climbs
      > >and hop back on at the top of the hills
      > >
      > >i keep envisioning some sort of rubbermaid container, cut into a
      > >"chariot" shape,
      > >hmmm....
      > >
      > >thoughts?
      > >
      > >peace...d
      > >

      > Chariots of Fur!
      >

      > woo

      > .......__o ....O
      > .......\<, .....\-/\-
      > ....( )/ ( ) ....(O)^(O)

    • tda0818
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
        Cute dog. I bet she appreciates the ventilation.

        --urbino

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "akyramoto" <akyramoto@...> wrote:

        > i haven't trained my dog to run along the side of the bike yet, but
        > she will ride in a tote. Here's some pics & a video
        >
        > video.........

        http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/Xtracycle/?action=view¤t=P8250227.flv
        > pic....
        > http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/Xtracycle/P8250230.jpg

      • Bruce Alan Wilson
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
          Re: brothers, dogs, and xtras

          What about:

          http://carryfreedom.com/bArk.html

          How large a dog is it?  If it is a small one:

          http://www.basil.nl/gb/assortment/

          Bruce Alan Wilson

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
            Over time, my snapdeck has started sliding forward (into the looser
            position) until it could sometimes pop out on a bumpy road. I had
            some Gorilla Tape (extra-sturdy duct tape), and ripped it into little
            strips, and put them on the inside of the aluminum rails. When the
            snap pieces slide behind the tape, they don't slide forward anymore,
            and seem not to pop out nearly so easily.

            That is all.

            David
          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
              Interesting statement in the 'bARK trailer' website. They said it is
              'perfectly balanced.' Without the dog, I'm sure. Dogs, however, move
              around a lot...

              CL

              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007

                Devian,

                            I do not have a dog to hop on and off my Xtracycle, but you mentioned you thought having the dog on the drive side would be best to avoid the dog being closer to traffic. While I totally agree the dog should be as far away from moving cars as possible, I would imagine having 40 lbs hopping on and off you bike would totally unbalance your load. If you have a single kickstand on the left side of your bike and the dog jump on the drive-side, then your whole bike will likely tip over and fall onto the dog. L Of course, if you make sure to have a heavier load than the dog on the bike’s left side or some kind of center kick stand, then the dog should be fine on the drive-side.

                _TONE_

              • Devian Gilbert
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                  i mean, WHILE MOVING.
                  that is, you pedal
                  go up hill
                  dog jumps out, runs along side
                  and hops back in at the top of the hill

                  I've only seen it once
                  a guy touring thru Monterey
                  i was impressed

                  i think he had an Australian Cattle Dog

                  these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go on tour
                  leave LA and see something
                  breath fresh air, etc

                  he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
                  and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a bicycle
                  however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble

                  daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
                  but i keep concocting idears to liberate
                  as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.

                  peace...d

                  On Dec 2, 2007, at 10:43 AM, Tone wrote:

                  Devian,

                              I do not have a dog to hop on and off my Xtracycle, but you mentioned you thought having the dog on the drive side would be best to avoid the dog being closer to traffic. While I totally agree the dog should be as far away from moving cars as possible, I would imagine having 40 lbs hopping on and off you bike would totally unbalance your load. If you have a single kickstand on the left side of your bike and the dog jump on the drive-side, then your whole bike will likely tip over and fall onto the dog. L Of course, if you make sure to have a heavier load than the dog on the bike’s left side or some kind of center kick stand, then the dog should be fine on the drive-side.

                  _TONE_

                • Anne Littlebird
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                    Keep working on him Devian. I've tried for years with my little sister
                    but now with a 4 year old and another on the way it's not likely to happen.

                    Now I just get to work on the 4 year old so when he's ready we can do a
                    tour together! AT thei point he thinks I'm cool because I can tell the
                    difference between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari!

                    --
                    Anne Littlebird
                    Issumatuq Herbals
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                      I've also done this - when I need to haul ALL of my dogs. I have a
                      border collie mix ( 50lbs ) a rott mix ( 100lbs) and a pit/shepard
                      puppy that was about 20-30lbs at the time.

                      I was using an instep take2 kiddie trailer - with a large varikennel
                      tied to it ( using a ratcheting tie down of course).

                      the dogs rode really well. although you did have to stand with the
                      bike to make sure that when they move around it didn't knock the bike
                      over. or rather throw it into the air! lol since it's connected at the
                      back of the X.

                      it worked well - I will probably get a bikes at work trailer in the
                      future for the dogs.

                      http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/2080907503_1b92b93933.jpg

                      http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/2081693100_1421cccefa.jpg
                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Keep working on him Devian. I've tried for years with my little sister
                      > but now with a 4 year old and another on the way it's not likely to
                      happen.

                      > Now I just get to work on the 4 year old so when he's ready we can do a
                      > tour together! AT thei point he thinks I'm cool because I can tell the
                      > difference between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari!
                      >
                      > Devian Gilbert wrote:
                      > >
                      > > i mean, WHILE MOVING.
                      > >
                      > > that is, you pedal
                      > > go up hill
                      > > dog jumps out, runs along side
                      > > and hops back in at the top of the hill
                      > >
                      > > I've only seen it once
                      > > a guy touring thru Monterey
                      > > i was impressed
                      > >
                      > > i think he had an Australian Cattle Dog
                      > >
                      > > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go
                      on tour
                      > > leave LA and see something
                      > > breath fresh air, etc
                      > >
                      > > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
                      > > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
                      > > bicycle
                      > > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
                      > >
                      > > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
                      > > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
                      > > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
                      > >
                      > > peace...d
                      > >
                      > > On Dec 2, 2007, at 10:43 AM, Tone wrote:
                      > >

                      > >> Devian,
                      > >>
                      > >> I do not have a dog to hop on and off my Xtracycle, but
                      > >> you mentioned you thought having the dog on the drive side would be
                      > >> best to avoid the dog being closer to traffic. While I totally agree
                      > >> the dog should be as far away from moving cars as possible, I would
                      > >> imagine having 40 lbs hopping on and off you bike would totally
                      > >> unbalance your load. If you have a single kickstand on the left side
                      > >> of your bike and the dog jump on the drive-side, then your whole
                      bike
                      > >> will likely tip over and fall onto the dog. L Of course, if you make
                      > >> sure to have a heavier load than the dog on the bike's left side or
                      > >> some kind of center kick stand, then the dog should be fine on the
                      > >> drive-side.
                      > >>
                      > >> _/TONE/_
                      > >>

                      > --
                      > Anne Littlebird
                      > Issumatuq Herbals
                      > P.O. Box 5161
                      > Louisville, KY 40255
                      > 502-418-1023

                    • Devian Gilbert
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                        i like the bikes at work trailer

                        wrote:

                        > Keep working on him Devian. I've tried for years with my little sister
                        > but now with a 4 year old and another on the way it's not likely to
                        happen.

                        > Now I just get to work on the 4 year old so when he's ready we can do a
                        > tour together! AT thei point he thinks I'm cool because I can tell the
                        > difference between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari!
                        >
                        > Devian Gilbert wrote:
                        > >
                        > > i mean, WHILE MOVING.
                        > >
                        > > that is, you pedal
                        > > go up hill
                        > > dog jumps out, runs along side
                        > > and hops back in at the top of the hill
                        > >
                        > > I've only seen it once
                        > > a guy touring thru Monterey
                        > > i was impressed
                        > >
                        > > i think he had an Australian Cattle Dog
                        > >
                        > > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go
                        on tour
                        > > leave LA and see something
                        > > breath fresh air, etc
                        > >
                        > > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
                        > > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
                        > > bicycle
                        > > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
                        > >
                        > > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
                        > > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
                        > > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
                        > >
                        > > peace...d
                        > >
                        > > On Dec 2, 2007, at 10:43 AM, Tone wrote:
                        > >

                        > >> Devian,
                        > >>
                        > >> I do not have a dog to hop on and off my Xtracycle, but
                        > >> you mentioned you thought having the dog on the drive side would be
                        > >> best to avoid the dog being closer to traffic. While I totally agree
                        > >> the dog should be as far away from moving cars as possible, I would
                        > >> imagine having 40 lbs hopping on and off you bike would totally
                        > >> unbalance your load. If you have a single kickstand on the left side
                        > >> of your bike and the dog jump on the drive-side, then your whole
                        bike
                        > >> will likely tip over and fall onto the dog. L Of course, if you make
                        > >> sure to have a heavier load than the dog on the bike's left side or
                        > >> some kind of center kick stand, then the dog should be fine on the
                        > >> drive-side.
                        > >>
                        > >> _/TONE/_
                        > >>

                        > --
                        > Anne Littlebird
                        > Issumatuq Herbals
                        > P.O. Box 5161
                        > Louisville, KY 40255
                        > 502-418-1023

                      • murray
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                          I haul my dog in a custom made box which is the same size as the
                          wideloader. Maybe it's just my dog but she doesn't move around much at
                          all. If your going to carry a dog on a bike I recommend a small breed.
                          My girl is a fox terrier / basenji cross and only weighs about 7.5kg
                          which happens to balance with my camping gear just nicely. She can't
                          jump into the box easily which was a good thing when I was training
                          her. She can jump out if she 'really' wants to but the high sides make
                          it difficult for her... but she is happy to sit and wait in there
                          while I shop etc.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/84834610@N00/425711459/in/set-72157600058035927/

                          On Dec 3, 2007 8:43 AM, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...> wrote:

                          > i like the bikes at work trailer
                          >

                          > On Dec 2, 2007, at 11:34 AM, akyramoto wrote:
                          >

                          > I've also done this - when I need to haul ALL of my dogs. I have a
                          > border collie mix ( 50lbs ) a rott mix ( 100lbs) and a pit/shepard
                          > puppy that was about 20-30lbs at the time.
                          >
                          > I was using an instep take2 kiddie trailer - with a large varikennel
                          > tied to it ( using a ratcheting tie down of course).
                          >
                          > the dogs rode really well. although you did have to stand with the
                          > bike to make sure that when they move around it didn't knock the bike
                          > over. or rather throw it into the air! lol since it's connected at the
                          > back of the X.
                          >
                          > it worked well - I will probably get a bikes at work trailer in the
                          > future for the dogs.
                          >
                          > http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/2080907503_1b92b93933.jpg
                          >
                          > http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/2081693100_1421cccefa.jpg
                          > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Keep working on him Devian. I've tried for years with my little sister
                          > > but now with a 4 year old and another on the way it's not likely to
                          > happen.
                          > >
                          > > Now I just get to work on the 4 year old so when he's ready we can do a
                          > > tour together! AT thei point he thinks I'm cool because I can tell the
                          > > difference between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari!
                          > >
                          > > Devian Gilbert wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > i mean, WHILE MOVING.
                          > > >
                          > > > that is, you pedal
                          > > > go up hill
                          > > > dog jumps out, runs along side
                          > > > and hops back in at the top of the hill
                          > > >
                          > > > I've only seen it once
                          > > > a guy touring thru Monterey
                          > > > i was impressed
                          > > >
                          > > > i think he had an Australian Cattle Dog
                          > > >
                          > > > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go
                          > on tour
                          > > > leave LA and see something
                          > > > breath fresh air, etc
                          > > >
                          > > > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
                          > > > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
                          > > > bicycle
                          > > > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
                          > > >
                          > > > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
                          > > > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
                          > > > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
                          > > >
                          > > > peace...d

                          > bike

                          > > --
                          > > Anne Littlebird
                          > > Issumatuq Herbals
                          > > P.O. Box 5161
                          > > Louisville, KY 40255
                          > > 502-418-1023

                        • tda0818
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                            You sound like a good brother, Devian.

                            --urbino

                            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...>
                            wrote:

                            > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go on
                            > tour
                            > leave LA and see something
                            > breath fresh air, etc
                            >
                            > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
                            > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
                            > bicycle
                            > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
                            >
                            > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
                            > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
                            > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
                            >
                            > peace...d

                          • Devian Gilbert
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                              awesome!
                              that is exactly what i had in my head
                              probably some kind of stray photo-memory synaptic loop thought goin round and round in my noodle
                              and wow!
                              of course...just use coroplast
                              i use to use coroplast for R/C Glider stuff
                              i could go all out on it
                              make a nice box like that, and line it with carpet or something

                              my brother's dog, Ranger, i think is about 30lbs
                              i think i can make this work

                              as Surly has tugged at my heartstrings yet again
                              this time with the Big Dummy being in "military green" as i think it was stated in the Jenson USA website
                              i say, "OD Green" (olive drab)
                              i simply want to build up a new rig

                              perhaps cannibalize what i'd have left from my current rig
                              or maybe just give dylan my current rig
                              once the BD is done.

                              On Dec 3, 2007 8:43 AM, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@ mac.com> wrote:

                              > i like the bikes at work trailer
                              >

                              > On Dec 2, 2007, at 11:34 AM, akyramoto wrote:
                              >

                              > I've also done this - when I need to haul ALL of my dogs. I have a
                              > border collie mix ( 50lbs ) a rott mix ( 100lbs) and a pit/shepard
                              > puppy that was about 20-30lbs at the time.
                              >
                              > I was using an instep take2 kiddie trailer - with a large varikennel
                              > tied to it ( using a ratcheting tie down of course).
                              >
                              > the dogs rode really well. although you did have to stand with the
                              > bike to make sure that when they move around it didn't knock the bike
                              > over. or rather throw it into the air! lol since it's connected at the
                              > back of the X.
                              >
                              > it worked well - I will probably get a bikes at work trailer in the
                              > future for the dogs.
                              >
                              > http://i20.photobuc ket.com/albums/ b250/akyramoto/ 2080907503_ 1b92b93933. jpg
                              >
                              > http://i20.photobuc ket.com/albums/ b250/akyramoto/ 2081693100_ 1421cccefa. jpg
                              > --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@. ..>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Keep working on him Devian. I've tried for years with my little sister
                              > > but now with a 4 year old and another on the way it's not likely to
                              > happen.
                              > >
                              > > Now I just get to work on the 4 year old so when he's ready we can do a
                              > > tour together! AT thei point he thinks I'm cool because I can tell the
                              > > difference between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari!
                              > >
                              > > Devian Gilbert wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > i mean, WHILE MOVING.
                              > > >
                              > > > that is, you pedal
                              > > > go up hill
                              > > > dog jumps out, runs along side
                              > > > and hops back in at the top of the hill
                              > > >
                              > > > I've only seen it once
                              > > > a guy touring thru Monterey
                              > > > i was impressed
                              > > >
                              > > > i think he had an Australian Cattle Dog
                              > > >
                              > > > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go
                              > on tour
                              > > > leave LA and see something
                              > > > breath fresh air, etc
                              > > >
                              > > > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
                              > > > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
                              > > > bicycle
                              > > > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
                              > > >
                              > > > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
                              > > > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
                              > > > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
                              > > >
                              > > > peace...d

                              > bike

                              > > --
                              > > Anne Littlebird
                              > > Issumatuq Herbals
                              > > P.O. Box 5161
                              > > Louisville, KY 40255
                              > > 502-418-1023

                            • Devian Gilbert
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                                good brother or not
                                its up to the individual to use the resources
                                i can only simply provide a bike
                                its just a bike
                                but we all know...
                                its often times the simple things in life that count

                                someone once referred to me as "A Fat Tire Evangelist."
                                lol
                                i still get laffs from that
                                but i guess its pretty much true

                                peace...d
                                www.AsanaCycles.com

                                wrote:

                                > these things run thru my mind in effort to entice my brother to go on
                                > tour
                                > leave LA and see something
                                > breath fresh air, etc
                                >
                                > he rides a good solid 100miles/week commuting
                                > and has never had a drivers license, so his whole life he's been on a
                                > bicycle
                                > however, he has yet to experience life on the ramble
                                >
                                > daily obligations keep him tethered to the townie life
                                > but i keep concocting idears to liberate
                                > as his enthusiasm grows, i hope its just a mater of time.
                                >
                                > peace...d

                              • Jeff Youngstrom
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                                  On Dec 1, 2007 8:55 PM, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:
                                  > Over time, my snapdeck has started sliding forward (into the looser
                                  > position) until it could sometimes pop out on a bumpy road. I had
                                  > some Gorilla Tape (extra-sturdy duct tape), and ripped it into little
                                  > strips, and put them on the inside of the aluminum rails. When the
                                  > snap pieces slide behind the tape, they don't slide forward anymore,
                                  > and seem not to pop out nearly so easily.

                                  I was having a similar problem and solved it by positioning the deck
                                  with the clips overlapping the freeloader where it wraps around the
                                  v-racks. No motion since and it doesn't seem to be doing the
                                  freeloaders any harm. Your tape solution would give more flexibility
                                  of where to stick the deck, though. Nice.

                                  jeffy
                                • crazylven
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007

                                    > as Surly has tugged at my heartstrings yet again
                                    > this time with the Big Dummy being in "military green" as i think it
                                    > was stated in the Jenson USA website
                                    > i say, "OD Green" (olive drab)
                                    > i simply want to build up a new rig
                                    >
                                    > perhaps cannibalize what i'd have left from my current rig
                                    > or maybe just give dylan my current rig
                                    > once the BD is done.

                                    Devian,
                                    I  just looked at these pics the other day on Flickr
                                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/surlybikes/1553138531
                                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/surlybikes/1554004404
                                    There is your green - I like it too.

                                    -Crazy