Roads and Paths Needed for NBG Framework

  • Cycle America - Nat Bicycle Greenway
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2001
      (A copy of this message has been posted to:
      alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent, rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.rides):

      As we flesh out those roads and pathways that will form the National
      Bicycle Greenway network, and in time also feed the one main coast to
      coast bike highway we envision (see:
      http://www.bikeroute.com/nbghow.html), we need your help in
      identifying the larger ones so that we establish a needed framework.
      Candidates for existing arterials that we can build around should at
      least travel a worthy distance or help the cyclist get thru tough
      riding conditions. US highways that have been usurped by Interstates
      are prime examples of such roads. Scenic highways that slow cars down
      because of the geography they pass thru are also wanted for this.

      Please help us by adding what you have knowledge of to:

      Route 66
      Natchez Trace Parkway
      The Santa Ana River trail connecting Pasadena with the desert
      The California Aqueduct
      The Centennial Trail connecting Spokane with Idaho
      Katy Trail in Missouri
      McKenzie Pass connecting Eugene with the high desert
      Trailridge Pass connecting Steamboat Springs with Estes Park and Boulder
      C&O Canal trail that will ultimately connect DC with Pittsburgh and beyond
      Branch Trail network in the Washington DC area
      Cape Cod Rail trail
      Pacific Coast Hwy One (most parts)

      What is identifiable from the American Discovery Trail or the East
      Coast Greenway?

      Note that many of these trails are at present unworthy of a long
      distance or commuting cyclist's efforts but when these arterials
      become a part of a larger system, a pressure will be brought to bear
      that will see to it that they are beautified as well as upgraded to a
      consistent spec. As for roads such as Hwy One and Route 66, all we
      are asking is that bikes be made a favored and welcome visitor. How?
      A Class One bike lane that can easily run on both sides of their
      entire length can accomplish this as they also bring tourism back to
      a small town America which the Interstates have abandoned in their
      quest for speed.

      Come on folks. What have we missed? What's in your area that can be
      made part of a larger bike network as even the smaller roads and path
      that service them will also be brought up to spec (if they are not
      already)?

      M A R T I N K R I E G
      Bent Since '83, Car Free Since '89, Attacking with Love
      Coma, Paralysis, Clinical Death Survivor
      '79 & '86 TransAm Vet, "Awake Again" Author
      Demonstrate in DC with us: http://www.BikeRoute.com
      N A T I O N A L B I C Y C L E G R E E N W A Y