The Eagle Has Landed!

  • tda0818
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 30, 2007
      You're looking at the semi-anonymous Yahoo profile of a proud new X owner!

      The good folks at X had the Townie 21 shipped directly to my mechanic,
      and when the Free Radical arrived at my apartment this afternoon, I
      loaded it up, drove out to the shop, and watched the guy assemble it.
      (Sorry, no birth video.)

      It was kind of an interesting experience. When he started building
      it, he was in kind of a bad mood about it, for reasons having to do
      with miscommunication between him and the shop manager. Anyway, once
      he got the real wheel off the Townie (which he'd already fully built),
      glanced at the instructions and held the FR frame up where it would
      fit, he got this big grin on his face and said, "This thing is a trip!"

      The longer he worked on it, the better his mood got. By the time he
      was done, he was more excited about it than I was. There are 3 bike
      shops closer than his, but he told me he'd love to work on it whenever
      I have anything done. Talking about the other shops, he said, "Yeah,
      when you roll this thing into any bike shop in town, they're gonna
      love it."

      My only problem now is: I can't figure out how to get it home! There
      isn't a safe route to ride it home from there, and it sure as hell
      won't fit in my car. I'm gonna have to rent a truck or something.
      The guy at the LBS was happy to keep it on their floor for a few days
      -- he said it'd be the talk of the shop. (And I left the little info
      cards with it and told him to hand them out to anybody who was
      interested.)

      One other thing. I'm going to search the archives on this, but the
      mechanic did think I should ask around about how people are keeping
      the chain from slapping around so much. He figured somebody had come
      up with something that would bolt on at the rear dropouts of the
      Townie frame and provide some tension on the chain. If anybody has,
      I'd love to hear about it.

      Woohoo!

      --urbino
    • David Morrison

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 30, 2007
          Yikes. Nothing like a little memento mori on your very first ride.
          The guy at the LBS mentioned he hears lots of hit-by-car and near-miss
          stories. I'm fortunate in that everything I really need is very close
          by, and, mostly, can be gotten to via residential streets.

          For future LBS purposes, I do have a good one that's maybe half a mile
          from me, and easily gotten to without riding any major roads. I went
          to this guy because a road cyclist friend who knows the local scene
          told me he was the best mechanic in town. I'm hoping to do most of my
          future mechanicking myself, though.

          Just talked to another friend who has done quite a bit of bike
          commuting here, and he said he thinks he knows a safe route from the
          shop where the X is, to my place. We're going to check into it tomorrow.

          BTW, David, I left a comment on your "I Have One!" thread a little
          while ago, but it doesn't seem to be showing up.

          --urbino

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, David Morrison
          <davidmorrison@...> wrote:

          > Yah, the LBS which put mine together is not really local to me either
          > and not a self-evident ride, though I think I can map a route and
          > call it an adventure :). Fortunately the bike shop had a pickup,
          > otherwise I was going to have call on a buddy with a pickup for a
          > favor. I was thinking of even taking on the Metro, which allows
          > bikes, until I was told ( in very no-nonsense and bureaucratic terms)
          > that bike on the metro could be no longer than 80 inches long.
          >
          > Used it for the first time to get groceries today. My first trip on
          > the bike when I would have used the car previously :). Without the
          > hassle of looking for a parking space and traffic etc, it took about
          > the same amount of time :). One negative thing though, when I passed
          > through one of the major intersections I had crossed just twenty or
          > twenty-five minutes before on the way to the grocery store there was a
          > ambulance and a several EMTs....working on a downed cyclist who
          > appeared to have been struck by an SUV. He or she was not sitting up
          > and the only way I knew it was a cyclist is from the mangled bike I
          > saw. I didn't stop to look or stare, but prayed a little for the
          > rider. I love my bike. I love the freedom, the speed, the utility if
          > the X, the boost it gives my heart, lungs and spirit.....everything
          > really. But its scenes like that which make me remember how much we
          > need to keep our wits when we ride.
          >
          > DCM

        • Mark Garvey
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
            The chain has not been a problem for me, but if it worries you you can make something out of a skateboard wheel  (E-mail me for directions if you want) to keep the return side from bouncing around or check a recumbent bike supplier for them.  heck, I may even have a couple of old WizWheelz idlers around.

            Transporting.  I lashed my e-assist X to a standard bike rack on the back of my Mitsubishi Mirage coupe and hauled it home from work one time due to complications in schedule.  Even with the 8 lbs of motor on the rear end (I put the battery inside the car) it traveled OK for the 7 mile trip. Be careful, but you can do it that way if you like.  And my rack is nothing fancy, picked it up ar a garage sale for $5.

            mark

            On Nov 30, 2007 8:09 PM, tda0818 <tda0818@...> wrote:
            You're looking at the semi-anonymous Yahoo profile of a proud new X owner!

            Mark  Garvey
            Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

            Post message: Iowaporkchoppers@yahoogroups.com
            Subscribe: Iowaporkchoppers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          • tda0818
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
              Thanks, Mark. I'll shoot you an email.

              As for the issue of getting my X home, I just rode it home! Three
              friends and I rode from the bike shop to my place. One of them is a
              competitive road cyclist, and he knew all kinds of backroads routes.
              Traffic was no problem.

              It was a semi-hilly, windy 10-mile ride, which I'm pretty proud of
              myself for completing, considering I'm nearly 40 and they're all,
              well, not, and they were all on megabuck road bikes and I, well,
              wasn't, and I haven't been on a bike in 10 years.

              They definitely took it easy on me, but, hey, I did all the pedaling
              myself. My daily commute and grocery-getting will be nothing compared
              to that ride.

              Pics on Flickr and Facebook, soon.

              Woohoo!

              --urbino

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...> wrote:

              > The chain has not been a problem for me, but if it worries you you
              can make
              > something out of a skateboard wheel (E-mail me for directions if
              you want)
              > to keep the return side from bouncing around or check a recumbent bike
              > supplier for them. heck, I may even have a couple of old WizWheelz
              idlers
              > around.
              >
              > Transporting. I lashed my e-assist X to a standard bike rack on the
              back of
              > my Mitsubishi Mirage coupe and hauled it home from work one time due to
              > complications in schedule. Even with the 8 lbs of motor on the rear
              end (I
              > put the battery inside the car) it traveled OK for the 7 mile trip. Be
              > careful, but you can do it that way if you like. And my rack is nothing
              > fancy, picked it up ar a garage sale for $5.
              >
              > mark

            • Devian Gilbert
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
                yee haw!
                you are well on your way

                congrats on the new rig!

                peace...d

                On Dec 1, 2007, at 2:23 PM, tda0818 wrote:

                Thanks, Mark. I'll shoot you an email.

                As for the issue of getting my X home, I just rode it home! Three
                friends and I rode from the bike shop to my place. One of them is a
                competitive road cyclist, and he knew all kinds of backroads routes.
                Traffic was no problem.

                It was a semi-hilly, windy 10-mile ride, which I'm pretty proud of
                myself for completing, considering I'm nearly 40 and they're all,
                well, not, and they were all on megabuck road bikes and I, well,
                wasn't, and I haven't been on a bike in 10 years.

                They definitely took it easy on me, but, hey, I did all the pedaling
                myself. My daily commute and grocery-getting will be nothing compared
                to that ride.

                Pics on Flickr and Facebook, soon.

                Woohoo!

                --urbino

                --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@. ..> wrote:

                > The chain has not been a problem for me, but if it worries you you
                can make
                > something out of a skateboard wheel (E-mail me for directions if
                you want)
                > to keep the return side from bouncing around or check a recumbent bike
                > supplier for them. heck, I may even have a couple of old WizWheelz
                idlers
                > around.
                >
                > Transporting. I lashed my e-assist X to a standard bike rack on the
                back of
                > my Mitsubishi Mirage coupe and hauled it home from work one time due to
                > complications in schedule. Even with the 8 lbs of motor on the rear
                end (I
                > put the battery inside the car) it traveled OK for the 7 mile trip. Be
                > careful, but you can do it that way if you like. And my rack is nothing
                > fancy, picked it up ar a garage sale for $5.
                >
                > mark

              • tda0818
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
                  Thanks, d!

                  It was pretty cool, all the way around. The guys at the bike shop had
                  been cruising the X website since last night, and they were STOKED.
                  They all wanted to have a turn riding it around the parking lot before
                  we left. They said customers had been admiring and asking about it
                  all morning.

                  Then, just before we got back to my place, we rode past the ballet
                  school, where some students were standing around outside after
                  practice, and one of them hollered, "Nice bike!" as I cruised past (at
                  the back of the pack and pretty well gassed, but still rolling).

                  If there are any X reps reading, your creation is an enthusiastic HIT
                  so far in Memphis.

                  --urbino

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...>
                  wrote:

                  > yee haw!
                  > you are well on your way
                  >
                  > congrats on the new rig!
                  >
                  > peace...d

                • Devian Gilbert
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
                    now you can offer rides!

                    :-)

                    wrote:

                    > yee haw!
                    > you are well on your way
                    >
                    > congrats on the new rig!
                    >
                    > peace...d

                  • Morgan Scherer
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
                      Speaking of bike accidents...

                      I got to provide worry and spectacle for folks yesterday when my front
                      fender stay came loose, got caught in my spokes and precipitously
                      stopped my bike as I was going 18 mph. I got flung over the handlebars
                      and landed on my head/shoulder in the road. Thank goodness for helmets!
                      My helmet is cracked through and thoroughly scuffed. I was unconscious
                      for a while, as when I came to I heard the sirens approaching (a
                      spectator had called 911). Luckily, I'm fine. Sprained shoulder and
                      wrist and bruised, but that's all! My bike's fork is all bent up
                      though. Luckily I wasn't on the X with the kids (although, no fenders
                      on Xena, so it couldn't have happened anyway, lol). The sunset that
                      night was particularly beautiful, coming home from the hospital after my
                      brief brush with mortality.

                      Moral of the story: I don't think I'll go on a ride anytime soon
                      without checking my fender and rack stays for adequate tightness!

                      Morgan Scherer

                    • tda0818
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 1, 2007
                        Ouch. Never a good thing to find oneself coming to, and hearing
                        sirens. Glad you're [mostly] alright, Morgan. Will the sprained wing
                        keep you from riding for a while?

                        --urbino

                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Morgan Scherer" <morganes@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Speaking of bike accidents...
                        >
                        > I got to provide worry and spectacle for folks yesterday when my front
                        > fender stay came loose, got caught in my spokes and precipitously
                        > stopped my bike as I was going 18 mph. I got flung over the handlebars
                        > and landed on my head/shoulder in the road. Thank goodness for helmets!
                        > My helmet is cracked through and thoroughly scuffed. I was unconscious
                        > for a while, as when I came to I heard the sirens approaching (a
                        > spectator had called 911). Luckily, I'm fine. Sprained shoulder and
                        > wrist and bruised, but that's all! My bike's fork is all bent up
                      • Cara Lin Bridgman
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                          Ouch! Glad you're all right!

                          I had a problem with my rear fender (aluminum at the time). The screw
                          holding it into place came loose and the fender swung around and under
                          the wheel. I'd heard the rattling, but blamed it on a loose snap-deck,
                          since I'd bumped over a few curbs. It happened about 2 years ago. I
                          was probably doing about 40 kph (24 mph) at the time. The 5 m skid mark
                          is still on the road. Everything is now reinforced with zip-ties.

                          CL

                          Morgan Scherer wrote:
                          > Speaking of bike accidents...
                          >
                          > I got to provide worry and spectacle for folks yesterday when my front
                          > fender stay came loose, got caught in my spokes and precipitously
                          > stopped my bike as I was going 18 mph. I got flung over the handlebars
                          > and landed on my head/shoulder in the road. Thank goodness for helmets!
                          > My helmet is cracked through and thoroughly scuffed. I was unconscious
                          > for a while, as when I came to I heard the sirens approaching (a
                          > spectator had called 911). Luckily, I'm fine. Sprained shoulder and
                          > wrist and bruised, but that's all! My bike's fork is all bent up
                          > though. Luckily I wasn't on the X with the kids (although, no fenders
                          > on Xena, so it couldn't have happened anyway, lol). The sunset that
                          > night was particularly beautiful, coming home from the hospital after my
                          > brief brush with mortality.
                          >
                          > Moral of the story: I don't think I'll go on a ride anytime soon
                          > without checking my fender and rack stays for adequate tightness!
                          >
                          > Morgan Scherer
                        • Morgan Giddings
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007

                            Morgan, I'm glad you're ok!

                            I had a similar thing happen on the X a while back, though it was a rear stay rather than front.  However, the fortunate thing with the X is that due to the long wheelbase, I did not go over the handlebars, instead, the tire just skidded the bike to a halt.

                            I wonder if these fender stays need more serious consideration as potential safety hazards?  Or maybe it is just people named Morgan that have these problems!

                            I wish you a quick recovery,
                            Morgan G

                            Posted by: "Morgan Scherer" morganes@...   morganelene

                            Sat Dec 1, 2007 9:35 pm (PST)

[...]

                          • Bruce Hallman
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                              On Dec 1, 2007 9:35 PM, Morgan Scherer <morganes@...> wrote:

                              > stopped my bike as I was going 18 mph. I got flung over the handlebars
                              > and landed on my head/shoulder in the road. Thank goodness for helmets!

                              Wow. Yes, thank goodness for helmets. They really work!
                            • Anne Littlebird
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                                I've had several near misses the last few days - people are more
                                distracted with the holidays I think. It's time to be more than extra
                                careful.

                                Anne

                                --
                                Anne Littlebird
                                Issumatuq Herbals
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                                  A nice solution to the attention is to always carry a pair of footsies
                                  along. When they cry out "nice bike!" you stop and smile and offer them
                                  a ride. Always a winner - once around the block and they will be hooked. :-)

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007

                                    Urbino,

                                                Chain tension can sometimes be a problem, especially when your gears and/or chain get slightly worn down and you are cranking hard up an incline. These days I no longer have a multiple gearing on my rear wheel, but instead have opted to go single-speed with a Surly Singleator. The chain tension was still a bit of a problem, but my old bike shop popped open the Singleator removed the spring and manually tightened it up before replacing it.

                                                The single speed set up of my bike is most likely NOT something most cargo-hauling Xtracyclists will want to do, but maybe there might be a way of tensing up the spring in a rear derailleur. Also, I have seen a photo of an Xtracycle with a much simpler solution to chain tension. Connect a short bungee cord between the rear derailleur and the rear-step of the FreeRadical frame. I have not tried this myself, but it seems to be pretty sensible.

                                    _TONE_

                                  • tda0818
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                                      Zip ties: is there anything they can't do?

                                      --urbino

                                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Ouch! Glad you're all right!
                                      >
                                      > I had a problem with my rear fender (aluminum at the time). The screw
                                      > holding it into place came loose and the fender swung around and under
                                      > the wheel. I'd heard the rattling, but blamed it on a loose snap-deck,
                                      > since I'd bumped over a few curbs. It happened about 2 years ago. I
                                      > was probably doing about 40 kph (24 mph) at the time. The 5 m skid
                                      mark
                                      > is still on the road. Everything is now reinforced with zip-ties.
                                      >
                                      > CL

                                    • tda0818
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 2, 2007
                                        Excellent info as usual, Tone. Thanks!

                                        My mechanic did mention that a better rear derailleur (than the stock
                                        low-end Shimano on the Townie) would provide better tension. I have
                                        some short bungies, so I think I'll give that approach a try.

                                        --urbino