cold weather riding

  • akyramoto
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2007
      Hellooo! I just was curious what everyone wears when it gets cold. I
      rode with my old snowboard gloves last night & it was great!! I was
      also wearing jeans & a sweatchirt. Jeans got a little chilly, not bad
      - but it's still not really cold here yet.

      so if ya have any suggestions or would like to share what you wear to
      battle the elements please share!

      for rainy weather i carry a poncho - i keep my hand under it ( not
      stuck our the side holes) and drape the front half over my handlebars
      like a rain cape. it works great so far. & it actually keeps you quite
      toasty underneath. I use another poncho on my snapdeck - i put the
      snapdeck IN the poncho ( like the front of the snapdeck is pointing
      towards the hood) then i snap the whole thing back on. The sides of
      the poncho drape over each free loader - i then take the 'tails' of
      each corner & tighten them into the little draw cord on the mesh part
      of the free loader. so far it's worked great. I'll have to post a pic.
    • Eric Paul
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 30, 2007
        19 Degree F (brrrr) on the ride in this morning:

        Merrell Day Hikers
        Just plain ol cotton socks
        Long john thermal underwear
        Addidas style warm ups
        Thermal long sleeve shirt
        Marmot outer shell jacket
        EMS insulated gloves
        Balaclava
        Stocking cap
        Helmet

        I was still a little cold, I need to add another layer between my shirt and the jacket . . . the jacket isn't insulated at all, just a rain/wind blocker. This is the same get-up I wear when it snows . . . I'm new to the Xtracycle (just about 6 weeks now I guess) . . . so I hadn't really though about covering the snap deck in the elements. I'll have to come up with something for that.

        ~Eric

        On Nov 30, 2007 9:57 AM, akyramoto < akyramoto@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Nathan Klatt
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 30, 2007
          Hopefully this comes across okay (if not, try looking at it with a fixed-width font) and y'all can make sense of it but here's how I roll at various temperatures, in degrees Fahrenheit:

              head    face    neck    torso      legs     feet
           +    -       -       -     tee        shorts   shoes
          50  headband  -       -       "          "        "
          40    "     lotion    -    +windbreaker  "        "
          30    "       "     gaiter    "        jeans      "
          20  +hat   +goggles   "       "          "      +wool socks
          10    "       "       "       "          "      +plastic bags
           -    "       "       +lng-sleev shirt +lng und +overbooties

          Adjust for wind, humidity, and/or precipitation as necessary.  Minor adjustments can be made by simply pedaling harder or easier.

          Nathan
        • Mighk Wilson
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 30, 2007
            Jeans sound like trouble to me, being cotton.

            (Of course I live in Florida, so I may not be the best judge of
            effective cold weather gear, but I grew up in Ohio (commuted in
            Cleveland when the temps were in the low 20s) and have done enough cold
            weather riding in the past 25 years to still have the hang of it,
            including mountain biking in the snow over Osha Pass in New Mexico.)

            While in NM I got a pair of tights from REI with windproof and slightly
            waterproof nylon on the front, and breathable Lycra in the back. A pair
            like that seems to work well down to the 20s.

            Basic principles: focus on feet, hands and ears first; the rest needs
            venting so you don't overheat.

            Mighk
          • abneycat
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 30, 2007
              I use an MEC soft shell commuter jacket, which is very warm on its
              own, and with nothing but an extra thermal layer underneath is
              probably good to about -30c.

              Canadian forces cold weather pants with another thermal layer
              underneath, water repellant and wind proof.

              Jungle boots with wicking socks (important!), and carbide studs for
              standing on ice: nice for putting your foot down at stops when you're
              on ice, and nice for walking around icy regions in general. Other
              kinds of boots probably do better, jungle is fairly non-water
              repellant. It'll keep the stuff that flies up out, but if you step in
              slush, it'll seep in a little. These boots are synthetic and
              completely windproof though.

              There are also these cold weather neck/faceguards that are usually
              sold as military surplus, they seem to be wool. Very good stuff, and
              if you have a helmet with a back of the head strap or a system like a
              Giro with a rocloc, you can trap it underneath there and have it cover
              your ears and your whole face except the eyes. Pairs well with some
              ski goggles for total coverage.

              Lastly, lobster claw gloves are the best! There are many versions, the
              ones that MEC makes called the Nanu are totally toasty.

              This setup is good to about -30c, thats around -22f I think. Past that
              point, I just don't cycle anymore. Plastic parts start breaking, and
              the grease starts freezing, so riding just becomes impossible.
            • liza mattana
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 30, 2007
                i live on a hill and have to blast straight down it for my commute, so i need clothing that will block the wind. that's the biggest concern for me.

                pants are REI headwind pants ( http://www.rei.com/product/724367), and i love them! they are the only cycling-specific clothing item i wear in the winter, and they are definitely worth it for the comfort and little extras like reflective material and ankle zips.

                upper is usually three layers: a cotton tshirt or thin wool longsleeve shirt when it's under 20, wool turtleneck and my marmot precip jacket. i pull the turtleneck up if my chin and nose start to freeze

                helmet and a hind skull cap (synthetic)

                leather hiking boots, one pair of thick wool sox

                REI ski mittens, but these don't block the wind enough, so i need to find something else.

                this combo has been great so far. last year i wore lots of wool--pants, thin layers on top, but the wind always cut through and didn't do enough for the type of riding i do.

                liza

                --
                liza mattana
                http://www.pedals2people.org
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 30, 2007
                  I'm just getting started with the bike-commuting thing, but here's
                  what I plan to wear.

                  When it's wet, I've got a Sessions Gore-Tex snowboarding jacket that's
                  waterproof and windproof and has both a drawcord waist and a storm
                  flap (and pockets for days). Under that will be a midweight wool
                  pullover I bought at an outdoor sports shop years ago in Iowa. What's
                  under that will depend on how cold it is. It might be just a wicking
                  undershirt, or it might be that plus some kind of shirt.

                  If it's not raining (or not raining that hard), I've got this weird,
                  heavy sweater-of-a-thing that has a wicking inner layer, a Gore-Tex
                  mid layer, and a thick wool outer layer, a standup collar and zipper,
                  2 pockets, and, like the jacket, both a drawcord hem and a storm flap.
                  If it's absolutely wicked cold, I'd wear that under the Sessions jacket.

                  Below the waist (cue the stripper music), I've got some wool
                  semi-stretch tights that I got from Rivendell, and a pair of
                  lightweight waterproof rain pants. Add some Dahlgren thick wool
                  hiking socks (alpaca is triff) and a pair of waterproof Keen ankle
                  boots. (These have the fringe benefit of not having any laces -- just
                  compression straps. There are no loose ends to get caught in a chain.)

                  When necessary, I also have a wool balaclava (also from Rivendell).
                  And I second the recommendation of lobster gloves. I have a pair of
                  waterproof, insulated Pearl Izumi's with gauntlet cuffs and whatnot.

                  If you're looking for sources, I nearly always buy this kind of stuff
                  on closeout from Sierra Trading Post or the REI outlet. If you buy it
                  off the rack, the prices are insane.

                  --urbino

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "liza mattana" <lizamattana@...>
                  wrote:

                  > i live on a hill and have to blast straight down it for my commute, so i
                  > need clothing that will block the wind. that's the biggest concern
                  for me.

                  > pants are REI headwind pants (http://www.rei.com/product/724367),
                  and i love
                  > them! they are the only cycling-specific clothing item i wear in the
                  winter,
                  > and they are definitely worth it for the comfort and little extras like
                  > reflective material and ankle zips.
                  >
                  > upper is usually three layers: a cotton tshirt or thin wool
                  longsleeve shirt
                  > when it's under 20, wool turtleneck and my marmot precip jacket. i
                  pull the
                  > turtleneck up if my chin and nose start to freeze
                  >
                  > helmet and a hind skull cap (synthetic)
                  >
                  > leather hiking boots, one pair of thick wool sox
                  >
                  > REI ski mittens, but these don't block the wind enough, so i need to
                  find
                  > something else.
                  >
                  > this combo has been great so far. last year i wore lots of
                  wool--pants, thin
                  > layers on top, but the wind always cut through and didn't do enough
                  for the
                  > type of riding i do.
                  >
                  > liza

                • Anne Littlebird
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
                    Well I'll be the odd one odd on this: but remember my ex was Inuit.

                    feet - real sheepskin boots - Uggs knockoffs but not the fake stuff.
                    Deliciously toasty warm even at 24 degree windchill. Also wool socks. If
                    it's really wet then I wear my old wellies form my archaeology days with
                    wool socks.

                    I knit so I have wool sweaters. Nothing better.

                    I have a short fur Inuit parka that is a hand me down that had to have a
                    new zipper - raccoon with fox - way too warm for anything over 35. I
                    also have a long felted wool Inuit coat with fur edging - also a hand me
                    down that comes to my knees. Very warm and really breaks the wind. With
                    the boots that only leaves about 3 inches uncovered.

                    Head covering - I have a knitted natchag - I think you call them smoke
                    ring/cowl - it keeps my neck warm or I can pull it up so it becomes a
                    hood as well. Really good idea. On top of that a fur hat. A neat thing
                    about the natchags is that they also work extremely well for those of
                    you that wear helmets - the helmets goes on top and you have your ears
                    and neck completely covered. Better than a separate scarf and ear muffs
                    or headband. One things serves any event.

                    Gloves are in layers - fleece or wool for chilly days with a pair of
                    large sheepskin and felted wool mitts courtesy of an Ojibwe Elder.

                    Ok so I said I was the odd one out but I have used these for years in
                    various incarnations from 35 degrees on down to -40 and no problems. If
                    it's in the 10 degree range I do add a wool balaclava to cover the lower
                    part of my face rather than the natchag.

                    Anne

                    akyramoto wrote:

                    > Hellooo! I just was curious what everyone wears when it gets cold. I
                    > rode with my old snowboard gloves last night & it was great!! I was
                    > also wearing jeans & a sweatchirt. Jeans got a little chilly, not bad
                    > - but it's still not really cold here yet.
                    >
                    > so if ya have any suggestions or would like to share what you wear to
                    > battle the elements please share!
                    >
                    > for rainy weather i carry a poncho - i keep my hand under it ( not
                    > stuck our the side holes) and drape the front half over my handlebars
                    > like a rain cape. it works great so far. & it actually keeps you quite
                    > toasty underneath. I use another poncho on my snapdeck - i put the
                    > snapdeck IN the poncho ( like the front of the snapdeck is pointing
                    > towards the hood) then i snap the whole thing back on. The sides of
                    > the poncho drape over each free loader - i then take the 'tails' of
                    > each corner & tighten them into the little draw cord on the mesh part
                    > of the free loader. so far it's worked great. I'll have to post a pic.

                    --
                    Anne Littlebird
                    Issumatuq Herbals
                    P.O. Box 5161
                    Louisville, KY 40255
                    502-418-1023
                  • Morgan Giddings
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
                      Hi
                      I've commuted in all sorts of bad weather, including Wisconsin winters.  One thing I have never been very happy with is keeping my head & face warm while helmeted.  Well, recently I found a solution.

                      I have a snowboard/ski helmet lying around (doesn't get much use here in NC).  It is meant for cold weather use, and meant to work with googles and face-mask or scarf.  I tried this last winter with my ski googles, and it worked great, though we only have a few days per year cold enough to need that here!  But I would be using this option everyday if I still lived in Wisconsin.

                      The other thing I've found is key is to wear long underwear under jeans or other slacks.  And, recently I removed my toe clips (actually, they were power grips) so that I can ride with big winter boots (I have cheap Sorrel copies).  That works great too.  Much to my surprise, I don't really miss the toe clips on this bike!

                      Morgan