Re: [rootsradicals] 7/8 outer diameter aluminum tubing

  • Rick White
    Message 1 of 14 , May 3 11:04 AM
      Where can I get those? Kidding. I've thought about
      handlebars but haven't been able to locate bars that
      are straight and non-tapered near the stem. I need
      approximately 17 inch lengths.

      --- Juergen Weichert <juergen@...> wrote:

      > Rick White wrote:
      > > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders)
      > and
      > > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've
      > found 12
      > > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
      > >
      > > Anything less expensive?
      > >
      > > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the
      > electrical
      > > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
      > >
      > > -Rick
      > > Madison, WI
      > >

      > Bicycle handlebars are typically 7/8" outer
      > diameter.
      > Juergen

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Joe Williams
      Message 2 of 14 , May 4 12:13 PM
        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick White <richardcwhite@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
        > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
        > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
        >
        > Anything less expensive?
        >
        > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
        > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
        >
        > -Rick
        > Madison, WI

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

        Rick,

        I made custom racks similar to the wideloaders from 0.875"
        outer diameter (OD) 4130 steel tubing of 0.065" wall thickness. An
        eight foot length is $28. I bought the tubing from onlinemetals.com
        and bent it with a 1" conduit bender from the local hardware store.
        You might ask an electrician in the neighborhood to bend the tubing
        as getting the second bend in the right spot is a bit of a hassle,
        but someone practiced at the task could whip it out in a jiffy. The
        0.065 tubing is a bit thick for the conduit bender and one person
        cranking on it, but it works
        Instead of the xtracycle sling, I made the free ends of the
        tube a bit long to fit deeper into the holes of the xtracycle and
        bent two strips of aluminum diamond plate over the forward and aft
        bars of the construction. I then drilled holes through the diamond
        plate and tube, and riveted the two together. If you bend and rivet
        one end at a time, you can use a hammer to bend the second half
        over, then a vice grips to twist the aluminum around the steel tube
        enough to bring the aluminum taut.
        I only made one of these, so the extra distance that it inserts
        into the xtracycle body was not critical. If you wanted to make
        two, I would recommend making them a bit too long and cutting to
        length.
        Drop me a line if you would like a photo.

        Cheers,

        Joe
      • Rick White
        Message 3 of 14 , May 5 6:47 PM
          Thanks for the description. I'm doing handyman work by
          bike and have made a plywood tray that holds my 26"
          long Plano tool boxes. I stack them two deep on each
          side. The tubing runs through the tray and into the
          horizontal tubes on the freeradical base frame. The
          copper tubing is strong enough for the job. Just
          heavy. The oxidized copper will look nice with the
          flat black paint.

          I'll post pictures in a few days.

          -Rick

          http://mail.yahoo.com