Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Snapped Chain

  • Devian Gilbert
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 29, 2007
      what i used to especially dislike
      is when you shift and the chain would break
      typically shifting under power into an easier gear, i.e. MTB uphill grunt

      or the ever so fun
      bang the gears in a road bike sprint at speed, in a group
      when someone's chain lets loose
      oh...that is EXTRA fun!
      a bunch of guys givin their all, and a chain breaks in the group
      pile up

      these days, i dont seem to have chain problems
      i do like the SRAM Power Link or whatever its called
      and i have this silly habit of rotating my chain every so often
      that is...
      flip the chain around so it is now being used in the opposite manner

      if you stop to think about it
      silly as it may seem
      a chain gets used on one side of the pins
      until you reverse the chain, the wear on the pins in a chain are only on one side
      chains, and cogs, etc, all like to wear together in a strange relation to each other
      as you rotate your chain wear....
      well...
      uhh...
      it seems to me, that chains last longer, as does the drive train

      so now, instead of wearing the chain on one side
      now you get to use it on both sides
      so in a way, the chain is now double prone to breakage, or whatever

      at any rate...
      this is the silly kind of stuff that i do
      like rotating tyres
      i rotate my chains too.

      what a wacko i've become.
      Ooo!
      i should rotate my handle bar grips too!

      peace...d

      On Nov 29, 2007, at 12:05 PM, Mighk Wilson wrote:

      Bruce wrote:

      >>I've been riding for most of my life and have NEVER had a chain break on me.  I had no idea it was so common.<<

      I agree Bruce. Broken chains while road riding are extremely rare in my experience; it's never happened to me (about 160,000 miles), and I've only encountered one case in person. In mountain biking on the other hand it is quite common: stuff gets into the chain itself ... sticks snap off your derailleur and/or chain ... chain tends to get dirtier ... more shifting under load or higher pressure.

      Many years ago three friends and I managed to get lost in the woods and one guy broke his chain. We all knew better, but for some reason none of us had chain tools. It sure was an adventure taking turns pushing our friend along on his chainless bike as we tried to figure out where we were. Fortunately we managed to get back to the car before sunset. :^)

      Mighk Wilson