RE: [rootsradicals] Re: Snapped Chain

  • Mighk Wilson
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 29, 2007
      Bruce wrote:

      >>I've been riding for most of my life and have NEVER had a chain break on me.  I had no idea it was so common.<<

      I agree Bruce. Broken chains while road riding are extremely rare in my experience; it's never happened to me (about 160,000 miles), and I've only encountered one case in person. In mountain biking on the other hand it is quite common: stuff gets into the chain itself ... sticks snap off your derailleur and/or chain ... chain tends to get dirtier ... more shifting under load or higher pressure.

      Many years ago three friends and I managed to get lost in the woods and one guy broke his chain. We all knew better, but for some reason none of us had chain tools. It sure was an adventure taking turns pushing our friend along on his chainless bike as we tried to figure out where we were. Fortunately we managed to get back to the car before sunset. :^)

      Mighk Wilson
    • Devian Gilbert
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 29, 2007
        what i used to especially dislike
        is when you shift and the chain would break
        typically shifting under power into an easier gear, i.e. MTB uphill grunt

        or the ever so fun
        bang the gears in a road bike sprint at speed, in a group
        when someone's chain lets loose
        oh...that is EXTRA fun!
        a bunch of guys givin their all, and a chain breaks in the group
        pile up

        these days, i dont seem to have chain problems
        i do like the SRAM Power Link or whatever its called
        and i have this silly habit of rotating my chain every so often
        that is...
        flip the chain around so it is now being used in the opposite manner

        if you stop to think about it
        silly as it may seem
        a chain gets used on one side of the pins
        until you reverse the chain, the wear on the pins in a chain are only on one side
        chains, and cogs, etc, all like to wear together in a strange relation to each other
        as you rotate your chain wear....
        well...
        uhh...
        it seems to me, that chains last longer, as does the drive train

        so now, instead of wearing the chain on one side
        now you get to use it on both sides
        so in a way, the chain is now double prone to breakage, or whatever

        at any rate...
        this is the silly kind of stuff that i do
        like rotating tyres
        i rotate my chains too.

        what a wacko i've become.
        Ooo!
        i should rotate my handle bar grips too!

        peace...d