Re: [rootsradicals] 7/8 outer diameter aluminum tubing

  • Juergen Weichert
    Message 1 of 14 , May 3, 2006
      Rick White wrote:
      > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
      > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
      > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
      >
      > Anything less expensive?
      >
      > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
      > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
      >
      > -Rick
      > Madison, WI

      Bicycle handlebars are typically 7/8" outer diameter.
      Juergen
    • Rick White
      Message 2 of 14 , May 3, 2006
        West Marine sells six foot sections for ~$26.00.

        Wiedenbeck Inc is a custom manufacturing outfit near
        Madison. They are able to special order the aluminum
        tubing.

        Wiedenbeck Inc
        (608) 221-5454
        2451 Kilgust Rd
        Monona, WI 53713

        --- "Leifert, Jesse - BLS" <leifert.jesse@...>
        wrote:

        > I've been looking for similar tubing...any chance
        > you'll reveal your
        > source? :)

        +blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+r
        > oot&c=6&s=111&.sig=MJaxyW-oYEdEdNGtQru7hg> Roots
        > blower

        s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
        > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=6jpPoMRkMhdKJcyXR4kCjQ>
        > Ginseng root

        s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
        > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=9TCnBqdaB4UwhCe_wf5_uA>
        > Root canal

        blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+ro
        > ot&c=6&s=111&.sig=GBW2EPPXB_kdxZGdsm2yIw> Root
        > canal therapy

        2=Roots+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Bu
        > rdock+root&c=6&s=111&.sig=gst8ryiTdPs6RbyRUXzNEA>
        > Burdock root

        s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
        > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=lskA0kn_AV8FXW933adcEg>

        > the web.

        > to:

        > Yahoo!
        > Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
        > .

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Rick White
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2006
          Where can I get those? Kidding. I've thought about
          handlebars but haven't been able to locate bars that
          are straight and non-tapered near the stem. I need
          approximately 17 inch lengths.

          --- Juergen Weichert <juergen@...> wrote:

          > Rick White wrote:
          > > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders)
          > and
          > > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've
          > found 12
          > > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
          > >
          > > Anything less expensive?
          > >
          > > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the
          > electrical
          > > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
          > >
          > > -Rick
          > > Madison, WI
          > >

          > Bicycle handlebars are typically 7/8" outer
          > diameter.
          > Juergen

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Joe Williams
          Message 4 of 14 , May 4, 2006
            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick White <richardcwhite@...>
            wrote:

            > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
            > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
            > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
            >
            > Anything less expensive?
            >
            > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
            > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
            >
            > -Rick
            > Madison, WI

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

            Rick,

            I made custom racks similar to the wideloaders from 0.875"
            outer diameter (OD) 4130 steel tubing of 0.065" wall thickness. An
            eight foot length is $28. I bought the tubing from onlinemetals.com
            and bent it with a 1" conduit bender from the local hardware store.
            You might ask an electrician in the neighborhood to bend the tubing
            as getting the second bend in the right spot is a bit of a hassle,
            but someone practiced at the task could whip it out in a jiffy. The
            0.065 tubing is a bit thick for the conduit bender and one person
            cranking on it, but it works
            Instead of the xtracycle sling, I made the free ends of the
            tube a bit long to fit deeper into the holes of the xtracycle and
            bent two strips of aluminum diamond plate over the forward and aft
            bars of the construction. I then drilled holes through the diamond
            plate and tube, and riveted the two together. If you bend and rivet
            one end at a time, you can use a hammer to bend the second half
            over, then a vice grips to twist the aluminum around the steel tube
            enough to bring the aluminum taut.
            I only made one of these, so the extra distance that it inserts
            into the xtracycle body was not critical. If you wanted to make
            two, I would recommend making them a bit too long and cutting to
            length.
            Drop me a line if you would like a photo.

            Cheers,

            Joe
          • Rick White
            Message 5 of 14 , May 5, 2006
              Thanks for the description. I'm doing handyman work by
              bike and have made a plywood tray that holds my 26"
              long Plano tool boxes. I stack them two deep on each
              side. The tubing runs through the tray and into the
              horizontal tubes on the freeradical base frame. The
              copper tubing is strong enough for the job. Just
              heavy. The oxidized copper will look nice with the
              flat black paint.

              I'll post pictures in a few days.

              -Rick

              http://mail.yahoo.com