7/8 outer diameter aluminum tubing

  • Rick White
    Message 1 of 14 , May 3, 2006
      I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
      am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
      foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.

      Anything less expensive?

      Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
      conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.

      -Rick
      Madison, WI

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Leifert, Jesse - BLS
      Message 2 of 14 , May 3, 2006
        Message
        I've been looking for similar tubing...any chance you'll reveal your source? :)

        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2006
          Rick White wrote:
          > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
          > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
          > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
          >
          > Anything less expensive?
          >
          > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
          > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
          >
          > -Rick
          > Madison, WI

          Bicycle handlebars are typically 7/8" outer diameter.
          Juergen
        • Rick White
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2006
            West Marine sells six foot sections for ~$26.00.

            Wiedenbeck Inc is a custom manufacturing outfit near
            Madison. They are able to special order the aluminum
            tubing.

            Wiedenbeck Inc
            (608) 221-5454
            2451 Kilgust Rd
            Monona, WI 53713

            --- "Leifert, Jesse - BLS" <leifert.jesse@...>
            wrote:

            > I've been looking for similar tubing...any chance
            > you'll reveal your
            > source? :)

            +blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+r
            > oot&c=6&s=111&.sig=MJaxyW-oYEdEdNGtQru7hg> Roots
            > blower

            s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
            > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=6jpPoMRkMhdKJcyXR4kCjQ>
            > Ginseng root

            s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
            > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=9TCnBqdaB4UwhCe_wf5_uA>
            > Root canal

            blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+ro
            > ot&c=6&s=111&.sig=GBW2EPPXB_kdxZGdsm2yIw> Root
            > canal therapy

            2=Roots+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Bu
            > rdock+root&c=6&s=111&.sig=gst8ryiTdPs6RbyRUXzNEA>
            > Burdock root

            s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
            > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=lskA0kn_AV8FXW933adcEg>

            > the web.

            > to:

            > Yahoo!
            > Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
            > .

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Rick White
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2006
              Where can I get those? Kidding. I've thought about
              handlebars but haven't been able to locate bars that
              are straight and non-tapered near the stem. I need
              approximately 17 inch lengths.

              --- Juergen Weichert <juergen@...> wrote:

              > Rick White wrote:
              > > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders)
              > and
              > > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've
              > found 12
              > > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
              > >
              > > Anything less expensive?
              > >
              > > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the
              > electrical
              > > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
              > >
              > > -Rick
              > > Madison, WI
              > >

              > Bicycle handlebars are typically 7/8" outer
              > diameter.
              > Juergen

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Joe Williams
              Message 6 of 14 , May 4, 2006
                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick White <richardcwhite@...>
                wrote:

                > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
                > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
                > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
                >
                > Anything less expensive?
                >
                > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
                > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
                >
                > -Rick
                > Madison, WI

                > http://mail.yahoo.com

                Rick,

                I made custom racks similar to the wideloaders from 0.875"
                outer diameter (OD) 4130 steel tubing of 0.065" wall thickness. An
                eight foot length is $28. I bought the tubing from onlinemetals.com
                and bent it with a 1" conduit bender from the local hardware store.
                You might ask an electrician in the neighborhood to bend the tubing
                as getting the second bend in the right spot is a bit of a hassle,
                but someone practiced at the task could whip it out in a jiffy. The
                0.065 tubing is a bit thick for the conduit bender and one person
                cranking on it, but it works
                Instead of the xtracycle sling, I made the free ends of the
                tube a bit long to fit deeper into the holes of the xtracycle and
                bent two strips of aluminum diamond plate over the forward and aft
                bars of the construction. I then drilled holes through the diamond
                plate and tube, and riveted the two together. If you bend and rivet
                one end at a time, you can use a hammer to bend the second half
                over, then a vice grips to twist the aluminum around the steel tube
                enough to bring the aluminum taut.
                I only made one of these, so the extra distance that it inserts
                into the xtracycle body was not critical. If you wanted to make
                two, I would recommend making them a bit too long and cutting to
                length.
                Drop me a line if you would like a photo.

                Cheers,

                Joe
              • Rick White
                Message 7 of 14 , May 5, 2006
                  Thanks for the description. I'm doing handyman work by
                  bike and have made a plywood tray that holds my 26"
                  long Plano tool boxes. I stack them two deep on each
                  side. The tubing runs through the tray and into the
                  horizontal tubes on the freeradical base frame. The
                  copper tubing is strong enough for the job. Just
                  heavy. The oxidized copper will look nice with the
                  flat black paint.

                  I'll post pictures in a few days.

                  -Rick

                  http://mail.yahoo.com