Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [rootsradicals] Anyone here use Yakima bike trays on their wide loader?

Expand Messages
  • Steve Pepper
    I managed to take my Brompton Folder to be serviced on the wideloaders. Bike was a bit heavy on one side but still managed OK. Steve Harrogate UK ... From:
    Message 1 of 14 , May 3, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      I managed to take my Brompton Folder to be serviced on the wideloaders. Bike was a bit heavy on one side but still managed OK.
       
      Steve
      Harrogate
      UK
       
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 5:14 AM
      Subject: Re: [rootsradicals] Anyone here use Yakima bike trays on their wide loader?



      On 5/2/06, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...> wrote:
      On 5/2/06, iam me <budhaboy@...> wrote:
      > I have purchased a wheel clamp so far,  but would really like to hear
      > some other's experiences before I continue investing in more parts.

      I've successfully towed a bike a couple miles by just strapping the
      front wheel in a side loader and letting the back wheel trail.


      I've done the same thing a couple times. works great.

      Picture here: http://www.johndogfood.com/john/reduced/04-09-06%20004.jpg

      and here: http://www.johndogfood.com/john/reduced/04-09-06%20002.jpg

      john


      --
      John Speare
      Spokane, WA USA
      http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html
    • Rick White
      I m making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I ve found 12 foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
      Message 2 of 14 , May 3, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
        am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
        foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.

        Anything less expensive?

        Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
        conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.

        -Rick
        Madison, WI

        __________________________________________________
        Do You Yahoo!?
        Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Leifert, Jesse - BLS
        I ve been looking for similar tubing...any chance you ll reveal your source? :) ... From: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com [mailto:rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com]
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          Message
          I've been looking for similar tubing...any chance you'll reveal your source? :)
          -----Original Message-----
          From: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com [mailto:rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Rick White
          Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 1:27 PM
          To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [rootsradicals] 7/8 outer diameter aluminum tubing

          I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
          am trying to source 7/8  inch od tubing. I've found 12
          foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.

          Anything less expensive?

          Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
          conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.

          -Rick
          Madison, WI

          __________________________________________________
          Do You Yahoo!?
          Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Juergen Weichert
          ... Bicycle handlebars are typically 7/8 outer diameter. Juergen
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            Rick White wrote:
            > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
            > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
            > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
            >
            > Anything less expensive?
            >
            > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
            > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
            >
            > -Rick
            > Madison, WI
            >

            Bicycle handlebars are typically 7/8" outer diameter.
            Juergen
          • Rick White
            West Marine sells six foot sections for ~$26.00. Wiedenbeck Inc is a custom manufacturing outfit near Madison. They are able to special order the aluminum
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              West Marine sells six foot sections for ~$26.00.

              Wiedenbeck Inc is a custom manufacturing outfit near
              Madison. They are able to special order the aluminum
              tubing.

              Wiedenbeck Inc
              (608) 221-5454
              2451 Kilgust Rd
              Monona, WI 53713

              --- "Leifert, Jesse - BLS" <leifert.jesse@...>
              wrote:

              > I've been looking for similar tubing...any chance
              > you'll reveal your
              > source? :)
              >
              > -----Original Message-----
              > From: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
              > [mailto:rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
              > Rick White
              > Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 1:27 PM
              > To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [rootsradicals] 7/8 outer diameter
              > aluminum tubing
              >
              >
              > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders)
              > and
              > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found
              > 12
              > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
              >
              > Anything less expensive?
              >
              > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
              > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
              >
              > -Rick
              > Madison, WI
              >
              > __________________________________________________
              > Do You Yahoo!?
              > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
              > protection around
              > http://mail.yahoo.com
              >
              >
              > You're getting this message because you signed up
              > to be an
              > Xtracycle roots radical.
              >
              > To Post a message, send it to:
              > rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
              >
              >
              > ride to believe.
              >
              >
              >
              >
              > SPONSORED LINKS
              > Konjac root
              >
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Konjac+root&w1=Konjac+root&w2=Roots
              >
              +blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+r
              > oot&c=6&s=111&.sig=MJaxyW-oYEdEdNGtQru7hg> Roots
              > blower
              >
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Roots+blower&w1=Konjac+root&w2=Root
              >
              s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
              > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=6jpPoMRkMhdKJcyXR4kCjQ>
              > Ginseng root
              >
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ginseng+root&w1=Konjac+root&w2=Root
              >
              s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
              > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=9TCnBqdaB4UwhCe_wf5_uA>
              > Root canal
              >
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Root+canal&w1=Konjac+root&w2=Roots+
              >
              blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+ro
              > ot&c=6&s=111&.sig=GBW2EPPXB_kdxZGdsm2yIw> Root
              > canal therapy
              >
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Root+canal+therapy&w1=Konjac+root&w
              >
              2=Roots+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Bu
              > rdock+root&c=6&s=111&.sig=gst8ryiTdPs6RbyRUXzNEA>
              > Burdock root
              >
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Burdock+root&w1=Konjac+root&w2=Root
              >
              s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
              > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=lskA0kn_AV8FXW933adcEg>
              >
              > ________________________________
              >
              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              >
              >
              > * Visit your group "rootsradicals
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rootsradicals> " on
              > the web.
              >
              > * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
              > to:
              > rootsradicals-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
              >
              <mailto:rootsradicals-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
              >
              >
              > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
              > Yahoo!
              > Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
              > .
              >
              >
              > ________________________________
              >
              >
              >


              __________________________________________________
              Do You Yahoo!?
              Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Rick White
              Where can I get those? Kidding. I ve thought about handlebars but haven t been able to locate bars that are straight and non-tapered near the stem. I need
              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                Where can I get those? Kidding. I've thought about
                handlebars but haven't been able to locate bars that
                are straight and non-tapered near the stem. I need
                approximately 17 inch lengths.

                --- Juergen Weichert <juergen@...> wrote:

                > Rick White wrote:
                > > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders)
                > and
                > > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've
                > found 12
                > > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
                > >
                > > Anything less expensive?
                > >
                > > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the
                > electrical
                > > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
                > >
                > > -Rick
                > > Madison, WI
                > >
                >
                > Bicycle handlebars are typically 7/8" outer
                > diameter.
                > Juergen
                >
                >
                >


                __________________________________________________
                Do You Yahoo!?
                Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Joe Williams
                ... Rick, I made custom racks similar to the wideloaders from 0.875 outer diameter (OD) 4130 steel tubing of 0.065 wall thickness. An eight foot length is
                Message 7 of 14 , May 4, 2006
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick White <richardcwhite@...>
                  wrote:
                  >
                  > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
                  > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
                  > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
                  >
                  > Anything less expensive?
                  >
                  > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
                  > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
                  >
                  > -Rick
                  > Madison, WI
                  >
                  > __________________________________________________
                  > Do You Yahoo!?
                  > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                  > http://mail.yahoo.com
                  >
                  Rick,

                  I made custom racks similar to the wideloaders from 0.875"
                  outer diameter (OD) 4130 steel tubing of 0.065" wall thickness. An
                  eight foot length is $28. I bought the tubing from onlinemetals.com
                  and bent it with a 1" conduit bender from the local hardware store.
                  You might ask an electrician in the neighborhood to bend the tubing
                  as getting the second bend in the right spot is a bit of a hassle,
                  but someone practiced at the task could whip it out in a jiffy. The
                  0.065 tubing is a bit thick for the conduit bender and one person
                  cranking on it, but it works
                  Instead of the xtracycle sling, I made the free ends of the
                  tube a bit long to fit deeper into the holes of the xtracycle and
                  bent two strips of aluminum diamond plate over the forward and aft
                  bars of the construction. I then drilled holes through the diamond
                  plate and tube, and riveted the two together. If you bend and rivet
                  one end at a time, you can use a hammer to bend the second half
                  over, then a vice grips to twist the aluminum around the steel tube
                  enough to bring the aluminum taut.
                  I only made one of these, so the extra distance that it inserts
                  into the xtracycle body was not critical. If you wanted to make
                  two, I would recommend making them a bit too long and cutting to
                  length.
                  Drop me a line if you would like a photo.

                  Cheers,

                  Joe
                • Rick White
                  Thanks for the description. I m doing handyman work by bike and have made a plywood tray that holds my 26 long Plano tool boxes. I stack them two deep on each
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 5, 2006
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Thanks for the description. I'm doing handyman work by
                    bike and have made a plywood tray that holds my 26"
                    long Plano tool boxes. I stack them two deep on each
                    side. The tubing runs through the tray and into the
                    horizontal tubes on the freeradical base frame. The
                    copper tubing is strong enough for the job. Just
                    heavy. The oxidized copper will look nice with the
                    flat black paint.

                    I'll post pictures in a few days.

                    -Rick

                    --- Joe Williams <joeflagstaff@...> wrote:

                    > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick White
                    > <richardcwhite@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders)
                    > and
                    > > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've
                    > found 12
                    > > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
                    > >
                    > > Anything less expensive?
                    > >
                    > > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the
                    > electrical
                    > > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
                    > >
                    > > -Rick
                    > > Madison, WI
                    > >
                    > > __________________________________________________
                    > > Do You Yahoo!?
                    > > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
                    > protection around
                    > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                    > >
                    > Rick,
                    >
                    > I made custom racks similar to the wideloaders
                    > from 0.875"
                    > outer diameter (OD) 4130 steel tubing of 0.065" wall
                    > thickness. An
                    > eight foot length is $28. I bought the tubing from
                    > onlinemetals.com
                    > and bent it with a 1" conduit bender from the local
                    > hardware store.
                    > You might ask an electrician in the neighborhood to
                    > bend the tubing
                    > as getting the second bend in the right spot is a
                    > bit of a hassle,
                    > but someone practiced at the task could whip it out
                    > in a jiffy. The
                    > 0.065 tubing is a bit thick for the conduit bender
                    > and one person
                    > cranking on it, but it works
                    > Instead of the xtracycle sling, I made the free
                    > ends of the
                    > tube a bit long to fit deeper into the holes of the
                    > xtracycle and
                    > bent two strips of aluminum diamond plate over the
                    > forward and aft
                    > bars of the construction. I then drilled holes
                    > through the diamond
                    > plate and tube, and riveted the two together. If you
                    > bend and rivet
                    > one end at a time, you can use a hammer to bend the
                    > second half
                    > over, then a vice grips to twist the aluminum around
                    > the steel tube
                    > enough to bring the aluminum taut.
                    > I only made one of these, so the extra distance
                    > that it inserts
                    > into the xtracycle body was not critical. If you
                    > wanted to make
                    > two, I would recommend making them a bit too long
                    > and cutting to
                    > length.
                    > Drop me a line if you would like a photo.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    >
                    > Joe
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >


                    __________________________________________________
                    Do You Yahoo!?
                    Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.