Re: Anyone here use Yakima bike trays on their wide loader?

  • Michael Lemberger
    Message 1 of 14 , May 3, 2006
      Yes. I have found a way to do this that works very well. You can't
      really see it in this photo, but it does work:

      <http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_photo.php?
      set_albumName=real_loads&id=Bikes>

      I'll try to make a couple pictures of it and post them on my blog.

      I did this with a few readily-available items: a Yakima Steelhead
      tray (garage sale, $10), a Yakima round loadbar (fished out of the
      trash), a wideloader, a hacksaw, and a round file or emery cloth.

      There is a happy accident that makes this work. The inside diameter
      of the Yakima loadbar is almost identical to the outside diameter of
      the wideloader tubing. So I cut sections off of the loadbar--about 6
      inches for the front clamp and 2 inches for the rear clamp. You might
      be able to slip these over the wideloader tubes as-is, but they don't
      fit quite as well as they could. I cut a slot lengthways in the
      loadbar sections so they can be expanded just a bit to fit over the
      wideloader tubing, and compress a bit when the tray clamps are
      tightened. Works very well.

      Just a couple of details:

      --Sounds like a lot of hacksawing, but the loadbar metal is pretty
      soft--use a new saw blade and a bit of oil and it's surprisingly easy.

      --Also, clean the cutting burrs off of the loadbar sections with a
      round file or some emery cloth. It will fit better and won't scratch
      up the wideloader tubing as much.

      --Finally, save the plastic covering on the loadbar, because you'll
      want it to make the diameter come out correctly.

      To use, remove the fabric from the wideloader, slip the loadbar
      sections onto the tubing fore and aft, and clamp the tray to the
      loadbar sections. Mount the wideloader on the Free Radical.

      Like I said, I'll try to post this to my blog with pics.

      Michael Lemberger
      Madison, WI
    • Steve Pepper
      Message 2 of 14 , May 3, 2006
        I managed to take my Brompton Folder to be serviced on the wideloaders. Bike was a bit heavy on one side but still managed OK.

        Steve
        Harrogate
        UK

        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2006
          I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
          am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
          foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.

          Anything less expensive?

          Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
          conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.

          -Rick
          Madison, WI

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Leifert, Jesse - BLS
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2006
            Message
            I've been looking for similar tubing...any chance you'll reveal your source? :)

            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2006
              Rick White wrote:
              > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
              > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
              > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
              >
              > Anything less expensive?
              >
              > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
              > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
              >
              > -Rick
              > Madison, WI

              Bicycle handlebars are typically 7/8" outer diameter.
              Juergen
            • Rick White
              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2006
                West Marine sells six foot sections for ~$26.00.

                Wiedenbeck Inc is a custom manufacturing outfit near
                Madison. They are able to special order the aluminum
                tubing.

                Wiedenbeck Inc
                (608) 221-5454
                2451 Kilgust Rd
                Monona, WI 53713

                --- "Leifert, Jesse - BLS" <leifert.jesse@...>
                wrote:

                > I've been looking for similar tubing...any chance
                > you'll reveal your
                > source? :)

                +blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+r
                > oot&c=6&s=111&.sig=MJaxyW-oYEdEdNGtQru7hg> Roots
                > blower

                s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
                > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=6jpPoMRkMhdKJcyXR4kCjQ>
                > Ginseng root

                s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
                > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=9TCnBqdaB4UwhCe_wf5_uA>
                > Root canal

                blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+ro
                > ot&c=6&s=111&.sig=GBW2EPPXB_kdxZGdsm2yIw> Root
                > canal therapy

                2=Roots+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Bu
                > rdock+root&c=6&s=111&.sig=gst8ryiTdPs6RbyRUXzNEA>
                > Burdock root

                s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
                > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=lskA0kn_AV8FXW933adcEg>

                > the web.

                > to:

                > Yahoo!
                > Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
                > .

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Rick White
                Message 7 of 14 , May 3, 2006
                  Where can I get those? Kidding. I've thought about
                  handlebars but haven't been able to locate bars that
                  are straight and non-tapered near the stem. I need
                  approximately 17 inch lengths.

                  --- Juergen Weichert <juergen@...> wrote:

                  > Rick White wrote:
                  > > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders)
                  > and
                  > > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've
                  > found 12
                  > > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
                  > >
                  > > Anything less expensive?
                  > >
                  > > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the
                  > electrical
                  > > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
                  > >
                  > > -Rick
                  > > Madison, WI
                  > >

                  > Bicycle handlebars are typically 7/8" outer
                  > diameter.
                  > Juergen

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Joe Williams
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 4, 2006
                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick White <richardcwhite@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
                    > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
                    > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
                    >
                    > Anything less expensive?
                    >
                    > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
                    > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
                    >
                    > -Rick
                    > Madison, WI

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                    Rick,

                    I made custom racks similar to the wideloaders from 0.875"
                    outer diameter (OD) 4130 steel tubing of 0.065" wall thickness. An
                    eight foot length is $28. I bought the tubing from onlinemetals.com
                    and bent it with a 1" conduit bender from the local hardware store.
                    You might ask an electrician in the neighborhood to bend the tubing
                    as getting the second bend in the right spot is a bit of a hassle,
                    but someone practiced at the task could whip it out in a jiffy. The
                    0.065 tubing is a bit thick for the conduit bender and one person
                    cranking on it, but it works
                    Instead of the xtracycle sling, I made the free ends of the
                    tube a bit long to fit deeper into the holes of the xtracycle and
                    bent two strips of aluminum diamond plate over the forward and aft
                    bars of the construction. I then drilled holes through the diamond
                    plate and tube, and riveted the two together. If you bend and rivet
                    one end at a time, you can use a hammer to bend the second half
                    over, then a vice grips to twist the aluminum around the steel tube
                    enough to bring the aluminum taut.
                    I only made one of these, so the extra distance that it inserts
                    into the xtracycle body was not critical. If you wanted to make
                    two, I would recommend making them a bit too long and cutting to
                    length.
                    Drop me a line if you would like a photo.

                    Cheers,

                    Joe
                  • Rick White
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 5, 2006
                      Thanks for the description. I'm doing handyman work by
                      bike and have made a plywood tray that holds my 26"
                      long Plano tool boxes. I stack them two deep on each
                      side. The tubing runs through the tray and into the
                      horizontal tubes on the freeradical base frame. The
                      copper tubing is strong enough for the job. Just
                      heavy. The oxidized copper will look nice with the
                      flat black paint.

                      I'll post pictures in a few days.

                      -Rick

                      http://mail.yahoo.com