Re: [rootsradicals]turning radius

  • David Morrison
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22, 2007
      Since I am not necessarily great on eyeballing these things, I will probably dismount at the hairpin the first time to make sure I can make the turn as it is "really tight" (at least in my memory).

      DCM

      On Nov 22, 2007, at 8:53 AM, Mark Garvey wrote:

      On Nov 22, 2007 7:16 AM, David Morrison <davidmorrison@ mindspring. com> wrote:
      ,.with the extra length does anyone find
      > the turning radius made a whole lot bigger? I ask because there is a major
      > highway near my home which has a bike bridge over it.....on the one side of
      > the bridge there is a long ramp which will be easy....on the other side
      > thought there is a hairpin turn in the ramp that I am wondering if the new
      > bike will be able to negotiate... ..

      I wouldn't worry about it much. You will notice a difference when you
      are pushing the bike and making really TIGHT turns, like rolling
      through doorways and making a cut into a hallway or something.
      ESPECIALLY (as Anne said!) with the wideloaders on. IF you have
      wideloaders really really watch your clearance to each side at first!
      it will soon become second nature, but catching one on a pole, or tree
      stump (like I have next to my driveway! guess how I discovered THIS
      little factoid!) will wake you up pretty fast!

      YES, you will be a little longer, but the wheelbase is what counts and
      it is only about 15 inches longer than stock. a standard bicycle is
      about 6 ft long (72 inches, or about 2 meters, about the size of a
      Whomp rat, I'm Told) If you are riding you will not notice the extra
      length at all and will often forget that it is back there! We have a
      couple of hairpin turns on local bike paths as well and I have NEVER
      had any difficulties with the Xtracycle on any of them.

      mark

      Mark Garvey
      Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

      Post message: Iowaporkchoppers@ yahoogroups. com