Re: [rootsradicals] Anyone here use Yakima bike trays on their wide loader?

  • Pete.B
    Message 1 of 14 , May 2 9:53 PM
      If you've already got the Clamp, just mount it to a wooden board that is at least 2 inches longer than the distance between your front & rear dropouts.

      Then its just a matter of strapping the board securely to the Wideloader with some toe straps.

      I made my own "Tray Bien" from a second hand front axle and skewer (- hub).
      a 1.5"x1.5" wooden rod (similar to a tall garden stake) plus 3 Toe straps

      Drill a 10 mm hole through one end of the wooden rod, thread the axle through the hole, replace the inner bearing race and lock nut and refit the skewer.

      In use, remove the front wheel and put the axle & skewer end of the rod in it's place.
      Use one toe strap to *firmly* secure the rear rim to the other end of the rod.

      Now just put the bike on the Wideloader using another toe strap to secure the front axle end of the rod to the front bar of the Wideloader and the last strap one to secure to the rear.

      For stability, use the freeloader's straps to hold the frame upright.

      Pete

      ---- iam me <budhaboy@...> wrote:
      > Unlike a lot of you folks, I happen to be poor. I am not complaining
      > at all, I'm literate and healthy and have used that combination to
      > educate myself quite well over the years.
      >
      > This is relevant to my question because I can't afford Xtracycle's
      > Tray Bien, but I need to be able to carry several bikes. I have
      > become quite proficient at building computers with various OSs and
      > have used this skill to research other bike carrying options online.
      > The Yakima fork clamp is mentioned in the X's site forum as a bike
      > towing device, (not for towing passengers!!). I have also found
      > Yakima bike trays on ebay being sold within my budget.
      >
      > So I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the Yakima bike trays
      > mounted on their wideloaders. I am really curious about the lockjaw
      > system, this is the one where you don't have to remove the front wheel.
      >
      > I have purchased a wheel clamp so far, but would really like to hear
      > some other's experiences before I continue investing in more parts.
      >

      > Thanks
      >
      > Enjoy
      >
      > Peace
      >
      > iam me
      >
      > serlacausa.org

      > ride to believe.
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Michael Lemberger
      Message 2 of 14 , May 3 9:22 AM
        Yes. I have found a way to do this that works very well. You can't
        really see it in this photo, but it does work:

        <http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_photo.php?
        set_albumName=real_loads&id=Bikes>

        I'll try to make a couple pictures of it and post them on my blog.

        I did this with a few readily-available items: a Yakima Steelhead
        tray (garage sale, $10), a Yakima round loadbar (fished out of the
        trash), a wideloader, a hacksaw, and a round file or emery cloth.

        There is a happy accident that makes this work. The inside diameter
        of the Yakima loadbar is almost identical to the outside diameter of
        the wideloader tubing. So I cut sections off of the loadbar--about 6
        inches for the front clamp and 2 inches for the rear clamp. You might
        be able to slip these over the wideloader tubes as-is, but they don't
        fit quite as well as they could. I cut a slot lengthways in the
        loadbar sections so they can be expanded just a bit to fit over the
        wideloader tubing, and compress a bit when the tray clamps are
        tightened. Works very well.

        Just a couple of details:

        --Sounds like a lot of hacksawing, but the loadbar metal is pretty
        soft--use a new saw blade and a bit of oil and it's surprisingly easy.

        --Also, clean the cutting burrs off of the loadbar sections with a
        round file or some emery cloth. It will fit better and won't scratch
        up the wideloader tubing as much.

        --Finally, save the plastic covering on the loadbar, because you'll
        want it to make the diameter come out correctly.

        To use, remove the fabric from the wideloader, slip the loadbar
        sections onto the tubing fore and aft, and clamp the tray to the
        loadbar sections. Mount the wideloader on the Free Radical.

        Like I said, I'll try to post this to my blog with pics.

        Michael Lemberger
        Madison, WI
      • Steve Pepper
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3 10:12 AM
          I managed to take my Brompton Folder to be serviced on the wideloaders. Bike was a bit heavy on one side but still managed OK.

          Steve
          Harrogate
          UK

          Message 4 of 14 , May 3 10:27 AM
            I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
            am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
            foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.

            Anything less expensive?

            Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
            conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.

            -Rick
            Madison, WI

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Leifert, Jesse - BLS
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3 10:31 AM
              Message
              I've been looking for similar tubing...any chance you'll reveal your source? :)

              Message 6 of 14 , May 3 10:36 AM
                Rick White wrote:
                > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
                > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
                > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
                >
                > Anything less expensive?
                >
                > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
                > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
                >
                > -Rick
                > Madison, WI

                Bicycle handlebars are typically 7/8" outer diameter.
                Juergen
              • Rick White
                Message 7 of 14 , May 3 10:55 AM
                  West Marine sells six foot sections for ~$26.00.

                  Wiedenbeck Inc is a custom manufacturing outfit near
                  Madison. They are able to special order the aluminum
                  tubing.

                  Wiedenbeck Inc
                  (608) 221-5454
                  2451 Kilgust Rd
                  Monona, WI 53713

                  --- "Leifert, Jesse - BLS" <leifert.jesse@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I've been looking for similar tubing...any chance
                  > you'll reveal your
                  > source? :)

                  +blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+r
                  > oot&c=6&s=111&.sig=MJaxyW-oYEdEdNGtQru7hg> Roots
                  > blower

                  s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
                  > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=6jpPoMRkMhdKJcyXR4kCjQ>
                  > Ginseng root

                  s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
                  > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=9TCnBqdaB4UwhCe_wf5_uA>
                  > Root canal

                  blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+ro
                  > ot&c=6&s=111&.sig=GBW2EPPXB_kdxZGdsm2yIw> Root
                  > canal therapy

                  2=Roots+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Bu
                  > rdock+root&c=6&s=111&.sig=gst8ryiTdPs6RbyRUXzNEA>
                  > Burdock root

                  s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
                  > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=lskA0kn_AV8FXW933adcEg>

                  > the web.

                  > to:

                  > Yahoo!
                  > Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
                  > .

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Rick White
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 3 11:04 AM
                    Where can I get those? Kidding. I've thought about
                    handlebars but haven't been able to locate bars that
                    are straight and non-tapered near the stem. I need
                    approximately 17 inch lengths.

                    --- Juergen Weichert <juergen@...> wrote:

                    > Rick White wrote:
                    > > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders)
                    > and
                    > > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've
                    > found 12
                    > > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
                    > >
                    > > Anything less expensive?
                    > >
                    > > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the
                    > electrical
                    > > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
                    > >
                    > > -Rick
                    > > Madison, WI
                    > >

                    > Bicycle handlebars are typically 7/8" outer
                    > diameter.
                    > Juergen

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Joe Williams
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 4 12:13 PM
                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick White <richardcwhite@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
                      > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
                      > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
                      >
                      > Anything less expensive?
                      >
                      > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
                      > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
                      >
                      > -Rick
                      > Madison, WI

                      > http://mail.yahoo.com

                      Rick,

                      I made custom racks similar to the wideloaders from 0.875"
                      outer diameter (OD) 4130 steel tubing of 0.065" wall thickness. An
                      eight foot length is $28. I bought the tubing from onlinemetals.com
                      and bent it with a 1" conduit bender from the local hardware store.
                      You might ask an electrician in the neighborhood to bend the tubing
                      as getting the second bend in the right spot is a bit of a hassle,
                      but someone practiced at the task could whip it out in a jiffy. The
                      0.065 tubing is a bit thick for the conduit bender and one person
                      cranking on it, but it works
                      Instead of the xtracycle sling, I made the free ends of the
                      tube a bit long to fit deeper into the holes of the xtracycle and
                      bent two strips of aluminum diamond plate over the forward and aft
                      bars of the construction. I then drilled holes through the diamond
                      plate and tube, and riveted the two together. If you bend and rivet
                      one end at a time, you can use a hammer to bend the second half
                      over, then a vice grips to twist the aluminum around the steel tube
                      enough to bring the aluminum taut.
                      I only made one of these, so the extra distance that it inserts
                      into the xtracycle body was not critical. If you wanted to make
                      two, I would recommend making them a bit too long and cutting to
                      length.
                      Drop me a line if you would like a photo.

                      Cheers,

                      Joe
                    • Rick White
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 5 6:47 PM
                        Thanks for the description. I'm doing handyman work by
                        bike and have made a plywood tray that holds my 26"
                        long Plano tool boxes. I stack them two deep on each
                        side. The tubing runs through the tray and into the
                        horizontal tubes on the freeradical base frame. The
                        copper tubing is strong enough for the job. Just
                        heavy. The oxidized copper will look nice with the
                        flat black paint.

                        I'll post pictures in a few days.

                        -Rick

                        http://mail.yahoo.com