Re: [rootsradicals] Anyone here use Yakima bike trays on their wide loader?

  • John Speare
    Message 1 of 14 , May 2, 2006
      On 5/2/06, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...> wrote:
      On 5/2/06, iam me <budhaboy@...> wrote:
      > I have purchased a wheel clamp so far,  but would really like to hear
      > some other's experiences before I continue investing in more parts.

      I've successfully towed a bike a couple miles by just strapping the
      front wheel in a side loader and letting the back wheel trail.

      I've done the same thing a couple times. works great.

      Picture here: http://www.johndogfood.com/john/reduced/04-09-06%20004.jpg

      and here: http://www.johndogfood.com/john/reduced/04-09-06%20002.jpg

      john

      --
      John Speare
      Spokane, WA USA
      Message 2 of 14 , May 2, 2006
        If you've already got the Clamp, just mount it to a wooden board that is at least 2 inches longer than the distance between your front & rear dropouts.

        Then its just a matter of strapping the board securely to the Wideloader with some toe straps.

        I made my own "Tray Bien" from a second hand front axle and skewer (- hub).
        a 1.5"x1.5" wooden rod (similar to a tall garden stake) plus 3 Toe straps

        Drill a 10 mm hole through one end of the wooden rod, thread the axle through the hole, replace the inner bearing race and lock nut and refit the skewer.

        In use, remove the front wheel and put the axle & skewer end of the rod in it's place.
        Use one toe strap to *firmly* secure the rear rim to the other end of the rod.

        Now just put the bike on the Wideloader using another toe strap to secure the front axle end of the rod to the front bar of the Wideloader and the last strap one to secure to the rear.

        For stability, use the freeloader's straps to hold the frame upright.

        Pete

        ---- iam me <budhaboy@...> wrote:
        > Unlike a lot of you folks, I happen to be poor. I am not complaining
        > at all, I'm literate and healthy and have used that combination to
        > educate myself quite well over the years.
        >
        > This is relevant to my question because I can't afford Xtracycle's
        > Tray Bien, but I need to be able to carry several bikes. I have
        > become quite proficient at building computers with various OSs and
        > have used this skill to research other bike carrying options online.
        > The Yakima fork clamp is mentioned in the X's site forum as a bike
        > towing device, (not for towing passengers!!). I have also found
        > Yakima bike trays on ebay being sold within my budget.
        >
        > So I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the Yakima bike trays
        > mounted on their wideloaders. I am really curious about the lockjaw
        > system, this is the one where you don't have to remove the front wheel.
        >
        > I have purchased a wheel clamp so far, but would really like to hear
        > some other's experiences before I continue investing in more parts.
        >

        > Thanks
        >
        > Enjoy
        >
        > Peace
        >
        > iam me
        >
        > serlacausa.org

        > ride to believe.
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Michael Lemberger
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2006
          Yes. I have found a way to do this that works very well. You can't
          really see it in this photo, but it does work:

          <http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_photo.php?
          set_albumName=real_loads&id=Bikes>

          I'll try to make a couple pictures of it and post them on my blog.

          I did this with a few readily-available items: a Yakima Steelhead
          tray (garage sale, $10), a Yakima round loadbar (fished out of the
          trash), a wideloader, a hacksaw, and a round file or emery cloth.

          There is a happy accident that makes this work. The inside diameter
          of the Yakima loadbar is almost identical to the outside diameter of
          the wideloader tubing. So I cut sections off of the loadbar--about 6
          inches for the front clamp and 2 inches for the rear clamp. You might
          be able to slip these over the wideloader tubes as-is, but they don't
          fit quite as well as they could. I cut a slot lengthways in the
          loadbar sections so they can be expanded just a bit to fit over the
          wideloader tubing, and compress a bit when the tray clamps are
          tightened. Works very well.

          Just a couple of details:

          --Sounds like a lot of hacksawing, but the loadbar metal is pretty
          soft--use a new saw blade and a bit of oil and it's surprisingly easy.

          --Also, clean the cutting burrs off of the loadbar sections with a
          round file or some emery cloth. It will fit better and won't scratch
          up the wideloader tubing as much.

          --Finally, save the plastic covering on the loadbar, because you'll
          want it to make the diameter come out correctly.

          To use, remove the fabric from the wideloader, slip the loadbar
          sections onto the tubing fore and aft, and clamp the tray to the
          loadbar sections. Mount the wideloader on the Free Radical.

          Like I said, I'll try to post this to my blog with pics.

          Michael Lemberger
          Madison, WI
        • Steve Pepper
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2006
            I managed to take my Brompton Folder to be serviced on the wideloaders. Bike was a bit heavy on one side but still managed OK.

            Steve
            Harrogate
            UK

            > I have purchased a wheel clamp so far,  but would really like to hear
            > some other's experiences before I continue investing in more parts.

            I've successfully towed a bike a couple miles by just strapping the
            front wheel in a side loader and letting the back wheel trail.

            I've done the same thing a couple times. works great.

            Picture here: http://www.johndogfood.com/john/reduced/04-09-06%20004.jpg

            and here: http://www.johndogfood.com/john/reduced/04-09-06%20002.jpg

            john

            --
            John Speare
            Spokane, WA USA
            http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html
          • Rick White
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2006
              I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
              am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
              foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.

              Anything less expensive?

              Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
              conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.

              -Rick
              Madison, WI

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Leifert, Jesse - BLS

                Message 7 of 14 , May 3, 2006
                  Rick White wrote:
                  > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
                  > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
                  > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
                  >
                  > Anything less expensive?
                  >
                  > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
                  > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
                  >
                  > -Rick
                  > Madison, WI

                  Bicycle handlebars are typically 7/8" outer diameter.
                  Juergen
                • Rick White
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 3, 2006
                    West Marine sells six foot sections for ~$26.00.

                    Wiedenbeck Inc is a custom manufacturing outfit near
                    Madison. They are able to special order the aluminum
                    tubing.

                    Wiedenbeck Inc
                    (608) 221-5454
                    2451 Kilgust Rd
                    Monona, WI 53713

                    --- "Leifert, Jesse - BLS" <leifert.jesse@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I've been looking for similar tubing...any chance
                    > you'll reveal your
                    > source? :)

                    +blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+r
                    > oot&c=6&s=111&.sig=MJaxyW-oYEdEdNGtQru7hg> Roots
                    > blower

                    s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
                    > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=6jpPoMRkMhdKJcyXR4kCjQ>
                    > Ginseng root

                    s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
                    > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=9TCnBqdaB4UwhCe_wf5_uA>
                    > Root canal

                    blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+ro
                    > ot&c=6&s=111&.sig=GBW2EPPXB_kdxZGdsm2yIw> Root
                    > canal therapy

                    2=Roots+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Bu
                    > rdock+root&c=6&s=111&.sig=gst8ryiTdPs6RbyRUXzNEA>
                    > Burdock root

                    s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
                    > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=lskA0kn_AV8FXW933adcEg>

                    > the web.

                    > to:

                    > Yahoo!
                    > Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
                    > .

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Rick White
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 3, 2006
                      Where can I get those? Kidding. I've thought about
                      handlebars but haven't been able to locate bars that
                      are straight and non-tapered near the stem. I need
                      approximately 17 inch lengths.

                      --- Juergen Weichert <juergen@...> wrote:

                      > Rick White wrote:
                      > > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders)
                      > and
                      > > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've
                      > found 12
                      > > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
                      > >
                      > > Anything less expensive?
                      > >
                      > > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the
                      > electrical
                      > > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
                      > >
                      > > -Rick
                      > > Madison, WI
                      > >

                      > Bicycle handlebars are typically 7/8" outer
                      > diameter.
                      > Juergen

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Joe Williams
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 4, 2006
                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick White <richardcwhite@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
                        > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
                        > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
                        >
                        > Anything less expensive?
                        >
                        > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
                        > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
                        >
                        > -Rick
                        > Madison, WI

                        > http://mail.yahoo.com

                        Rick,

                        I made custom racks similar to the wideloaders from 0.875"
                        outer diameter (OD) 4130 steel tubing of 0.065" wall thickness. An
                        eight foot length is $28. I bought the tubing from onlinemetals.com
                        and bent it with a 1" conduit bender from the local hardware store.
                        You might ask an electrician in the neighborhood to bend the tubing
                        as getting the second bend in the right spot is a bit of a hassle,
                        but someone practiced at the task could whip it out in a jiffy. The
                        0.065 tubing is a bit thick for the conduit bender and one person
                        cranking on it, but it works
                        Instead of the xtracycle sling, I made the free ends of the
                        tube a bit long to fit deeper into the holes of the xtracycle and
                        bent two strips of aluminum diamond plate over the forward and aft
                        bars of the construction. I then drilled holes through the diamond
                        plate and tube, and riveted the two together. If you bend and rivet
                        one end at a time, you can use a hammer to bend the second half
                        over, then a vice grips to twist the aluminum around the steel tube
                        enough to bring the aluminum taut.
                        I only made one of these, so the extra distance that it inserts
                        into the xtracycle body was not critical. If you wanted to make
                        two, I would recommend making them a bit too long and cutting to
                        length.
                        Drop me a line if you would like a photo.

                        Cheers,

                        Joe
                      • Rick White
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 5, 2006
                          Thanks for the description. I'm doing handyman work by
                          bike and have made a plywood tray that holds my 26"
                          long Plano tool boxes. I stack them two deep on each
                          side. The tubing runs through the tray and into the
                          horizontal tubes on the freeradical base frame. The
                          copper tubing is strong enough for the job. Just
                          heavy. The oxidized copper will look nice with the
                          flat black paint.

                          I'll post pictures in a few days.

                          -Rick

                          http://mail.yahoo.com