Re: Anyone here use Yakima bike trays on their wide loader?

  • Tom Ahearn
    Message 1 of 14 , May 2, 2006
      I use a Yakima wheel tray to transport my daughters 16" bike to and
      from the beach. It is small enough that I just run the FreeLoader
      strap across the frame rather than use the LockJaw. With my daughter
      in the Bobike seat and the heavy steel bike on the wide loader, the
      load probably weighs more than most road bikes you'd want to carry.

      check ou the photos here:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/rphlegm/139525077/
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/rphlegm/139525075/
    • John Speare
      Message 2 of 14 , May 2, 2006
        On 5/2/06, Jeff Youngstrom <jeffy@...> wrote:
        On 5/2/06, iam me <budhaboy@...> wrote:
        > I have purchased a wheel clamp so far,  but would really like to hear
        > some other's experiences before I continue investing in more parts.

        I've successfully towed a bike a couple miles by just strapping the
        front wheel in a side loader and letting the back wheel trail.

        I've done the same thing a couple times. works great.

        Picture here: http://www.johndogfood.com/john/reduced/04-09-06%20004.jpg

        and here: http://www.johndogfood.com/john/reduced/04-09-06%20002.jpg

        john

        --
        John Speare
        Spokane, WA USA
        Message 3 of 14 , May 2, 2006
          If you've already got the Clamp, just mount it to a wooden board that is at least 2 inches longer than the distance between your front & rear dropouts.

          Then its just a matter of strapping the board securely to the Wideloader with some toe straps.

          I made my own "Tray Bien" from a second hand front axle and skewer (- hub).
          a 1.5"x1.5" wooden rod (similar to a tall garden stake) plus 3 Toe straps

          Drill a 10 mm hole through one end of the wooden rod, thread the axle through the hole, replace the inner bearing race and lock nut and refit the skewer.

          In use, remove the front wheel and put the axle & skewer end of the rod in it's place.
          Use one toe strap to *firmly* secure the rear rim to the other end of the rod.

          Now just put the bike on the Wideloader using another toe strap to secure the front axle end of the rod to the front bar of the Wideloader and the last strap one to secure to the rear.

          For stability, use the freeloader's straps to hold the frame upright.

          Pete

          ---- iam me <budhaboy@...> wrote:
          > Unlike a lot of you folks, I happen to be poor. I am not complaining
          > at all, I'm literate and healthy and have used that combination to
          > educate myself quite well over the years.
          >
          > This is relevant to my question because I can't afford Xtracycle's
          > Tray Bien, but I need to be able to carry several bikes. I have
          > become quite proficient at building computers with various OSs and
          > have used this skill to research other bike carrying options online.
          > The Yakima fork clamp is mentioned in the X's site forum as a bike
          > towing device, (not for towing passengers!!). I have also found
          > Yakima bike trays on ebay being sold within my budget.
          >
          > So I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the Yakima bike trays
          > mounted on their wideloaders. I am really curious about the lockjaw
          > system, this is the one where you don't have to remove the front wheel.
          >
          > I have purchased a wheel clamp so far, but would really like to hear
          > some other's experiences before I continue investing in more parts.
          >

          > Thanks
          >
          > Enjoy
          >
          > Peace
          >
          > iam me
          >
          > serlacausa.org

          > ride to believe.
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Michael Lemberger
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2006
            Yes. I have found a way to do this that works very well. You can't
            really see it in this photo, but it does work:

            <http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_photo.php?
            set_albumName=real_loads&id=Bikes>

            I'll try to make a couple pictures of it and post them on my blog.

            I did this with a few readily-available items: a Yakima Steelhead
            tray (garage sale, $10), a Yakima round loadbar (fished out of the
            trash), a wideloader, a hacksaw, and a round file or emery cloth.

            There is a happy accident that makes this work. The inside diameter
            of the Yakima loadbar is almost identical to the outside diameter of
            the wideloader tubing. So I cut sections off of the loadbar--about 6
            inches for the front clamp and 2 inches for the rear clamp. You might
            be able to slip these over the wideloader tubes as-is, but they don't
            fit quite as well as they could. I cut a slot lengthways in the
            loadbar sections so they can be expanded just a bit to fit over the
            wideloader tubing, and compress a bit when the tray clamps are
            tightened. Works very well.

            Just a couple of details:

            --Sounds like a lot of hacksawing, but the loadbar metal is pretty
            soft--use a new saw blade and a bit of oil and it's surprisingly easy.

            --Also, clean the cutting burrs off of the loadbar sections with a
            round file or some emery cloth. It will fit better and won't scratch
            up the wideloader tubing as much.

            --Finally, save the plastic covering on the loadbar, because you'll
            want it to make the diameter come out correctly.

            To use, remove the fabric from the wideloader, slip the loadbar
            sections onto the tubing fore and aft, and clamp the tray to the
            loadbar sections. Mount the wideloader on the Free Radical.

            Like I said, I'll try to post this to my blog with pics.

            Michael Lemberger
            Madison, WI
          • Steve Pepper
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2006
              I managed to take my Brompton Folder to be serviced on the wideloaders. Bike was a bit heavy on one side but still managed OK.

              Steve
              Harrogate
              UK

              > I have purchased a wheel clamp so far,  but would really like to hear
              > some other's experiences before I continue investing in more parts.

              I've successfully towed a bike a couple miles by just strapping the
              front wheel in a side loader and letting the back wheel trail.

              I've done the same thing a couple times. works great.

              Picture here: http://www.johndogfood.com/john/reduced/04-09-06%20004.jpg

              and here: http://www.johndogfood.com/john/reduced/04-09-06%20002.jpg

              john

              --
              John Speare
              Spokane, WA USA
              http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html
            • Rick White
              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2006
                I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
                am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
                foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.

                Anything less expensive?

                Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
                conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.

                -Rick
                Madison, WI

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Leifert, Jesse - BLS

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 3, 2006
                    Rick White wrote:
                    > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
                    > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
                    > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
                    >
                    > Anything less expensive?
                    >
                    > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
                    > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
                    >
                    > -Rick
                    > Madison, WI

                    Bicycle handlebars are typically 7/8" outer diameter.
                    Juergen
                  • Rick White
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 3, 2006
                      West Marine sells six foot sections for ~$26.00.

                      Wiedenbeck Inc is a custom manufacturing outfit near
                      Madison. They are able to special order the aluminum
                      tubing.

                      Wiedenbeck Inc
                      (608) 221-5454
                      2451 Kilgust Rd
                      Monona, WI 53713

                      --- "Leifert, Jesse - BLS" <leifert.jesse@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I've been looking for similar tubing...any chance
                      > you'll reveal your
                      > source? :)

                      +blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+r
                      > oot&c=6&s=111&.sig=MJaxyW-oYEdEdNGtQru7hg> Roots
                      > blower

                      s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
                      > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=6jpPoMRkMhdKJcyXR4kCjQ>
                      > Ginseng root

                      s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
                      > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=9TCnBqdaB4UwhCe_wf5_uA>
                      > Root canal

                      blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+ro
                      > ot&c=6&s=111&.sig=GBW2EPPXB_kdxZGdsm2yIw> Root
                      > canal therapy

                      2=Roots+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Bu
                      > rdock+root&c=6&s=111&.sig=gst8ryiTdPs6RbyRUXzNEA>
                      > Burdock root

                      s+blower&w3=Ginseng+root&w4=Root+canal&w5=Root+canal+therapy&w6=Burdock+
                      > root&c=6&s=111&.sig=lskA0kn_AV8FXW933adcEg>

                      > the web.

                      > to:

                      > Yahoo!
                      > Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
                      > .

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Rick White
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 3, 2006
                        Where can I get those? Kidding. I've thought about
                        handlebars but haven't been able to locate bars that
                        are straight and non-tapered near the stem. I need
                        approximately 17 inch lengths.

                        --- Juergen Weichert <juergen@...> wrote:

                        > Rick White wrote:
                        > > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders)
                        > and
                        > > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've
                        > found 12
                        > > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
                        > >
                        > > Anything less expensive?
                        > >
                        > > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the
                        > electrical
                        > > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
                        > >
                        > > -Rick
                        > > Madison, WI
                        > >

                        > Bicycle handlebars are typically 7/8" outer
                        > diameter.
                        > Juergen

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Joe Williams
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 4, 2006
                          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick White <richardcwhite@...>
                          wrote:

                          > I'm making custom racks (similar to wide loaders) and
                          > am trying to source 7/8 inch od tubing. I've found 12
                          > foot lengths that sell for approximately $40.00.
                          >
                          > Anything less expensive?
                          >
                          > Copper tubing works but is heavy and the electrical
                          > conduit that I've found is just a tich too wide.
                          >
                          > -Rick
                          > Madison, WI

                          > http://mail.yahoo.com

                          Rick,

                          I made custom racks similar to the wideloaders from 0.875"
                          outer diameter (OD) 4130 steel tubing of 0.065" wall thickness. An
                          eight foot length is $28. I bought the tubing from onlinemetals.com
                          and bent it with a 1" conduit bender from the local hardware store.
                          You might ask an electrician in the neighborhood to bend the tubing
                          as getting the second bend in the right spot is a bit of a hassle,
                          but someone practiced at the task could whip it out in a jiffy. The
                          0.065 tubing is a bit thick for the conduit bender and one person
                          cranking on it, but it works
                          Instead of the xtracycle sling, I made the free ends of the
                          tube a bit long to fit deeper into the holes of the xtracycle and
                          bent two strips of aluminum diamond plate over the forward and aft
                          bars of the construction. I then drilled holes through the diamond
                          plate and tube, and riveted the two together. If you bend and rivet
                          one end at a time, you can use a hammer to bend the second half
                          over, then a vice grips to twist the aluminum around the steel tube
                          enough to bring the aluminum taut.
                          I only made one of these, so the extra distance that it inserts
                          into the xtracycle body was not critical. If you wanted to make
                          two, I would recommend making them a bit too long and cutting to
                          length.
                          Drop me a line if you would like a photo.

                          Cheers,

                          Joe
                        • Rick White
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 5, 2006
                            Thanks for the description. I'm doing handyman work by
                            bike and have made a plywood tray that holds my 26"
                            long Plano tool boxes. I stack them two deep on each
                            side. The tubing runs through the tray and into the
                            horizontal tubes on the freeradical base frame. The
                            copper tubing is strong enough for the job. Just
                            heavy. The oxidized copper will look nice with the
                            flat black paint.

                            I'll post pictures in a few days.

                            -Rick

                            http://mail.yahoo.com