more on speed

  • Devian Gilbert
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 20, 2007
      ok...
      so this will blow your mind

      once upon a time when i was living in Monterey, not long ago

      i started riding bikes daily, around 1990(ish) and pursuing cycling
      in an athletic endeavor
      i have motorbike skills, experience, etc
      you know, the 2 gear wheelie, straight shift, pour on the throttle
      out of the turns, throttle steer, trail brake, all that stuff

      post Army tour of Duty, Air Assault Light Artillery
      there i am all of 23yrs old, and i start the bicycle thing
      never really acknowledging the potential for injury from a bike
      after all i was accustomed to firing howitzers, repelling out of
      blackhawks, etc
      motor bikes, and 455ci hot rods @ 135mph

      at some point i meet
      Gordon McCall thru Velo Club Monterey
      along with others whom mellowed me out
      mentors of sorts

      Gordon was one of those guys on a road bike with a 60t chainring, and
      he used it
      thursday evenings took a group of us roadies thru San Benancio canyon
      off of HWY 68
      at the top, i'd stick to his wheel, as i was one who could bunny hop
      a road bike, and make up for lost ground
      57mph on an old Concord road bike with 8spd downtube shifters. 53x13
      straight block was my then choice

      later in those days, i'd push 67mph on my Colnago Bititan with
      Shamals in certain places.

      so check out where Gordon is today!
      http://www.teammccallusa.com/press.html

      and to think once upon a time, i pushed 53mph in the dirt on my Ibis
      xtra mojo, coming off of Mt. Toro in Toro Park, a then wide open fire
      road, places had ruts, compression bumps. the key was to simply keep
      off of the ground, as if giant slalom.

      break neck speeds

      i'd say i've slown down
      but question that
      as today i ran a solid 20mph on the pug right ontop of the red curb
      between traffic and pedestrians, bar bell dinging away, Light and
      Motion Vega on strobe mode.

      peace...d
    • Anne Littlebird
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 21, 2007
        Ah to be young....

        :)

        Anne

        --
        Anne Littlebird
        Issumatuq Herbals
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 21, 2007
          One of the advantages of being older is that I've more patience with the
          1-2 hours it takes to bike home. When I was 15 years younger, it was
          only once that I biked up the hill on which I live, now I do it several
          times a week.

          CL