Re: New to rootsradicals from Melbourne, Australia

  • frangair
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2006
      Hi Pete, thanks for your reply!

      I sought to get an xtra in about 2002 or thereabouts but the
      importer was indeed asking about $700! That was cheeky monkey in
      sydney. Not worth it for me at that stage. However a few years
      later a friend of mine kept offering me $200 for an old shogun
      touring bike I had and I succumbed to the temptation of using
      this for the xtra purchase (now regretted). However, by this
      stage cheeky monkey was getting out of xtra's because they
      couldn't move them. I think this had a lot to do with the poorer
      exchange rate at that time.

      Anyway I could now purchase one from them for $450 because they
      just wanted to get rid of their remaining stock, and what with
      the $200 for my old bike it was now worth it. However they did
      not ever deliver the wide loaders or long loaders, these I have
      recently purchased from chainringtransitauthority, the guy there
      seems like a good bloke, replaced my broken sidestand for free
      and chucked in a tube of phil's grease as well. My sidestand had
      broken after I'd picked up a very heavy 6 foot pine bookshelf and
      lugged it home from a streetside chuckout.

      Pete are you saying that you just chuck ice and some cold ones
      straight in the Freeloaders and let the water drain out from
      there or that you purchased the SUB eskies and do it that way?
      Sounds like a good idea, I suppose it's not really gonna hurt the
      freeloaders with a bit of cold water I might try that...

      I have taken the xtra on a trip of the mundabiddi trail
      (http://www.mundabiddi.org.au/) with my 9 year old son in 2004.
      That was only 2 days, we seriously loaded up with chocolate and
      treats to keep up the morale for him, it was a fantastic trip he
      has asked to do it again. He was on his own bike, not on the
      back of the xtra by the way. So that track is single lane
      laterite "pea gravel" ie. very slippery, heaps of hills and
      erosion breakaways and bumps etc. the xtra handled it with
      absolutely no probs at all -- it was a dream. Apart from that
      trip no tours but of course I dream. Family commitments etc.

      When you say you bought it as a shop bike - did you have a cycle
      shop? I have only come across 1 bike shop that doesn't think i'm
      a complete loony with this bike, they just don't get it. However
      people respond very positively. One day I was doing the family
      shopping with the twins on the back - if you can picture it;
      heaps of shopping stuck out wide then the twins piling on outside
      Coles. A lady came up to me and said "Good on ya!" with great
      emphasis, I still remember feeling very chuffed.

      For quite a while we had no car and I had to pick up the twins
      on the back of the xtra from school and take them home (about
      5km).

      I have taken the bike to Rottnest island (no cars allowed over
      there) and it was fantastic. Piled up with camping chairs and
      picnic stuff and kids fun was had by all.

      I have put in a schmidt dynohub and some good lights, in my
      opinion a fantastic addition for winter commuting, very bright,
      always works, can't forget batteries/charging. I find the extra
      weight of the bike a bit tough after I've been on leave for a few
      weeks but after a few more weeks of riding it we're back to
      normal. YOur 27 km commute on the xtra is impressive, mine is 18
      km each way from Fremantle to south perth.

      The idea of a disk brake sounds like a good move. I think
      touring in hilly country would really push the limits of my
      brakes.

      by for now and thanks for making contact
      Shane
    • Pete B
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1 8:00 AM
        Shane,

        You read right, I chuck Beer & Ice directly in the Freeloader.

        I generally use the SUB Eskies for bringing home frozen goods or when I
        need to take items that have to keep cold for a while.

        I've also used the Eskies to bring Pizza home from the local shop.
        I lay the esky down on it's back and strap it to the top of the
        snapdek. It's then the perfect hot box for a couple of medium pizzas.

        The longest trip I've taken when fully loaded, was a 100 K round trip
        from Sale to Seaspray over the New Years break. It wasn't a full on
        camping trip (no tent, sleeping mat or cooking gear) but I did take
        clothes, a sleeping bag, fresh food & drinks for a comfortable 3 day
        stay in a holiday cabin down there.

        Pete.