Re: Car Free Month

  • alexbknight
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 2, 2007
      Congratulations Anne,
      A poncho / Cape is the ultimate cycling accessory. I toured a long
      time with all the "proper" Gore-tex equipment - and getting wet. A
      $2 cape in China solved all those issues.
      I carry a "slightly more expensive" version at all times in the
      pockets, the only thing you really need to think about then is
      possible wet feet if the rain is really bouncing back off the road.

      All the best!

      Alex

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...>
      wrote:

      > Gerry,
      >
      > Here are three different places that have capes/ponchos. I'll
      probably
      > get one myself soon.
      >
      > www.campmor.com
      > http://www.catoregon.org/catstore.htm
      > http://www.bicycleclothing.com/Rain-Capes.html
      >
      > Didn't have a choice but to ride. Besides we are so drought ridden
      here
      > that the rain was a real blessing. And it's been easier for the
      most
      > part than I thought it would be. I'm actually less tired.
      >
      > And I haven't done snow and ice yet. :) Better add different tires
      > the list before I quit the 2nd job.
      >
      > TheJonesgal@... wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks Anne, You're inspiring to me.
      > > I've slacked off lately on bike riding - too tired, too much
      rain,
      > > etc. And here you've ridden through it all!
      > > For everyone else, someone talked about a poncho for bike riding
      and I
      > > thought I saved the info but now can't find it. Could someone
      repost
      > > it. I'm coming up with a wish list for Christmas!
      > > Gerry outside Seattle

      women
      > > in other cars driving and using cell phones, 3. bunches of teens
      in a
      > > single car and 4. men in new pickup trucks never used for hauling
      > > anything and they don't intend to. And the game of 'let's see how
      close
      > > we can get to the handlebars' game. One of my personal favs.
      > >
      > > It took forever to get the insurance company to understand that
      the car
      > > was off the road and could not be driven legally. The
      underwriters tried
      > > to insist that I had to keep the insurance since it was the only
      car in
      > > the household and I would need it for emergencies. Huh?????? After
      > > threatening to cancel the policy completely they managed to
      understand.
      > > 34 years with the same company means nothing. I will say that the
      City
      > > of Louisville was very encouraging when I turned the plates in.
      > >
      > > I certainly didn't like the torrential downpours last week as I
      left for
      > > work at 6:30 am (this was overtime week) and I have a note to get
      better
      > > rain gear. Although on the second day I did my brilliant
      impression of
      > > the queen with my 20 old hunter wellies and waxed cotton jacket -
      both
      > > far better than the cheesy cycling rain gear I have - and a head
      scarf.

      > > 3 people at work thought the flashing velcro leg strap to keep
      the dress
      > > pants out the chain was a home incarceration device and proceeded
      to get
      > > upset about that. Some people watch FAR too much TV. Another
      reason I
      > > don't have one. I had a visit from HR - who left my office rather
      > > embarrassed.
      > >
      > > My supervisor got really testy when I hung my dripping wet jacket
      and
      > > boots in the bathroom so it wouldn't drip all over the carpet
      while they
      > > dried. She didn't want to look at them so the next day as it was
      still
      > > raining heavily I hung them in the closet so that the water
      seeped out
      > > under the door and into the hall. Wasn't that considerate of me?
      > >
      > > I've hauled groceries, tables, clothes for good will, large
      packages.
      > > I've been yelled at by little old ladies marching for peace about
      my
      > > helmet-less state, cheered on by homeless guys and aggravated my
      > > co-workers in some manner.
      > >
      > > It's been a great month and I'm loving every minute of it! The X
      is
      > > awesome. I am however giving up the second job. I need the money
      but the
      > > gentleman I care give for is getting difficult to manage and
      cycling
      > > back home after midnight is the pits. And it makes me way too
      tired on
      > > Monday morning. I'll figure out another way to make up that
      income.

      > > Now I just need new handlebars...Guess I'd better do that before
      I give
      > > up the second job. :-)
      > >
      > > --
      > > Anne Littlebird
      > > Issumatuq Herbals
      > > P.O. Box 5161
      > > Louisville, KY 40255
      > > 502-418-1023
      ------
      > > Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free AOL
      Mail
      > > <http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/mailtour/aol/en-
      us/index.htm?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000970>!