Re: [rootsradicals] sloppy shifts

  • Mark Garvey
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2007
      On Nov 1, 2007 3:29 PM, Todd Reed <tl_reed@...> wrote:
      . My chain is slipping from gear to gear in back and it's become a
      source of great angst for me.

      > More than anything on a bike I really appreciate having a solid drive-train that's predictable and trouble-free. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions how I can achieve this on my bike.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for any tips.
      >
      > Todd

      the chain tension thing is one point and one way to deal with it is to
      use a chain idler. I have been riding recumbent bikes and trikes for
      several years and most have from one to three chain idlers to help
      route the chain and keep it from dragging on the derailleur. You can
      rig one using a skateboard wheel and a suitably sized bolt if you like
      (that is what I plan to do myself) or you can find a piece of teflon
      tube and run it from just a bit behind the chainring to just ahead of
      teh tension wheels on the derailleur and support it at a couple of
      places with zip ties. I have used BOTH methods and both WORK!

      You could talk to Pat Franz at Terracycle to see if something they
      make would be suitable, I haven't, but then I purchased one of his
      idlers for my WizWheels Trike some years ago and they are very well
      made! I also purchased a flip stem for my Vision recumbent bike and
      I was absolutely pleased with the quality of his work. Possibly the
      folks at Xtracycle might want to explore the possibility of Pat coming
      up with a proper idler for the X. It would take the weight of the
      chain off the Derailleur and make shifting more positive I believe.

      I personally have not had this difficulty with my X, but then it could
      be in my future! My vision had really awful shifting until I upgraded
      the shift levers to Shimano bar Cons and went to friction shifters, so
      that MIGHT be a factor. I had index shifters on the Vision when I
      first acquired it and I could not throw them far enough!

      mark

      Mark Garvey
      Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

      Check out the web site at:
      http://www.vine-ave.com

      contact us to have Papa Balloon appear at your next program! Details
      at www.vine-ave.com

      I am a bicycling lifestylist!
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2007
        It is possible that your indexed shifter is out of whack.
        I am not 100% sure how to adjust a 7-speed shifter, but
        for an 8 or 9, the rule is to shift so that the derailleur should
        be on the second smallest cog, adjust the cable tension so
        that it is just jumping at #3 from #2, then back off a little so
        that it stays in #2 (but no more than necessary).

        I do this, and check it after big temperature swings, and
        I have had nothing but good shifts.

        On 2007-11-01, at 4:29 PM, Todd Reed wrote:

        > Howdy all,
        >
        > I don't know that this is a strictly Xtracycle related problem.
        > There's probably lots on the list who would know how to fix this
        > though. I've got a Bridgestone MB-1 frame with my Xtracycle on the
        > rear. It's a nice solid retro Cro-Mo mtb frame with classic
        > dimensions, or so I've been told. I've got a Shimano XT rear
        > derailleur and Deore XT thumbshifters. My chain is slipping from
        > gear to gear in back and it's become a source of great angst for me.
        >
        > I recently installed a new rear 7-speed cluster and Shimano chain
        > set since the chain had stretched and the cogset was pretty old.
        > The performance of this new setup leaves something to be desired.
        > Nothing like a chain slipping from gear to gear after a shift to
        > give you that uneasy feeling. I would guess the bike ship sold me
        > some knock-off rear cog, but perhaps it also has to do with the
        > long chain length with the Xtracycle.
        >
        > More than anything on a bike I really appreciate having a solid
        > drive-train that's predictable and trouble-free. I'm wondering if
        > anyone has any suggestions how I can achieve this on my bike.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any tips.
        >
        > Todd

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Mark Garvey
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2007
          Oh, another point, get friction shifters! I have NEVER had good luck
          with index shifters. which was part of the point I made in my last
          note. I love my friction shifters. yes, sometimes I have a little
          problem with the chain not quite in one gear or another, but when I
          have friction shifters, I can jiggle them to the right place. you can
          NOT do this with index shifters!

          mark

          On Nov 1, 2007 6:53 PM, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:
          > It is possible that your indexed shifter is out of whack.
          > I am not 100% sure how to adjust a 7-speed shifter, but
          > for an 8 or 9, the rule is to shift so that the derailleur should
          > be on the second smallest cog, adjust the cable tension so
          > that it is just jumping at #3 from #2, then back off a little so
          > that it stays in #2 (but no more than necessary).
          >
          > I do this, and check it after big temperature swings, and
          > I have had nothing but good shifts.
          >

          > On 2007-11-01, at 4:29 PM, Todd Reed wrote:
          >
          > > Howdy all,
          > >
          > > I don't know that this is a strictly Xtracycle related problem.
          > > There's probably lots on the list who would know how to fix this
          > > though. I've got a Bridgestone MB-1 frame with my Xtracycle on the
          > > rear. It's a nice solid retro Cro-Mo mtb frame with classic
          > > dimensions, or so I've been told. I've got a Shimano XT rear
          > > derailleur and Deore XT thumbshifters. My chain is slipping from
          > > gear to gear in back and it's become a source of great angst for me.
          > >
          > > I recently installed a new rear 7-speed cluster and Shimano chain
          > > set since the chain had stretched and the cogset was pretty old.
          > > The performance of this new setup leaves something to be desired.
          > > Nothing like a chain slipping from gear to gear after a shift to
          > > give you that uneasy feeling. I would guess the bike ship sold me
          > > some knock-off rear cog, but perhaps it also has to do with the
          > > long chain length with the Xtracycle.
          > >
          > > More than anything on a bike I really appreciate having a solid
          > > drive-train that's predictable and trouble-free. I'm wondering if
          > > anyone has any suggestions how I can achieve this on my bike.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance for any tips.
          > >
          > > Todd

          > > http://mail.yahoo.com

          > ride to believe.
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Mark Garvey
          Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

          Check out the web site at:
          http://www.vine-ave.com

          contact us to have Papa Balloon appear at your next program! Details
          at www.vine-ave.com

          I am a bicycling lifestylist!
        • liza mattana
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2007
            hey,

            so when you shift, it is exact and your chain stays in the right gear, but then it slips after riding for a little while? when you're carrying a heavy load? when you're bearing down on it and trying to crank up a hill?

            i'm just trying to get a better picture of when it's happening. we have our x attached to a 1990 MB-2 with friction thumbshifters . our chain only skipped around a bit when we carried heavy loads and especially when we really torqued on it. my husband attributed it to frame flex. just another theory.

            liza

            --
            liza mattana
            http://www.pedals2people.org
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2007
              Well, since you've got thumbshifters, I'd first try switching to
              friction mode (the little lever on the side of the right shifter),
              which lets you trim cable length continuously, rather than "clicking"
              into gear...

              Some other things to check would be:

              * tightness of rear cassette (or freewheel) -- sometimes you need to
              add a 1mm spacer to get the cassette to lock down tighly on the hub.
              If there is any play in the cassette, resolve that first. Especially
              since you just switched cassettes -- it's very common for them to
              have slightly different widths, so the locknut engages before the
              cassette is clamped down.

              * straightness of the derailleur hanger. On your steel bike (sweet
              frame, BTW!!!), it's integrated into the frame, but can still become
              bent slightly. Good shops will have a Park tool to check alignment,
              or you can roughly eyeball it.

              * make sure the chain doesn't have any protruding rivets along its
              length -- especially since you have two chains attached to each
              other. (and make sure they're the same type of chain, and that you
              don't have a length of old chain attached to some new chain with less
              wear!)

              * the Park tools site has pretty good tips for adjusting your rear
              derailleur -- I assume you've gone through and set the H and L screws
              and the B screw (to adjust the angle of the derailleur body), but it
              never hurts to start over and get everything dialled in properly.
              --

              -----
              Jeff Ong, Managing Partner, Leadcleaner (http://www.leadcleaner.com)