Re: [rootsradicals] Re: How You Can Help Xtracycle Succeed

  • Dane Buson
    Message 1 of 46 , Nov 1, 2007
      On Nov 1, Nate Byerley tripped the electrons lexically so:

      > Hey all,
      >
      > Thanks for the rapid turnaround on the surveys. I've collected 21 responses
      > in 4 days -- a great start. Keep them coming. There's some truly amazing
      > stuff hidden away in these stories--the kind of stuff that affirms what we're
      > attempting to do, and helps us understand how to grow the movement. Now is a
      > critical time for Xtracycle's growth (through the traditionally slow winter)
      > and we need your help to keep stoking people on the power of everyday
      > adventure. We thank you, we salute you, we admire you and we challenge you to
      > spread the word. Keep those responses coming. Questions are reposted below:
      >
      > 1. When/where did you first learn about the Xtracycle?

      I do believe it was from one of Aaron Goss's cargo bike rides. I ended
      up riding with them and being impressed with the cargo and people
      capacity.

      > 2. How many months did it take for you to actively start learning about the
      > Xtracycle
      > (i.e. calling us, checking the website, asking friends, visiting a bike shop?

      It took me about two seconds to start looking at the website.

      > What prompted you to look into the product?

      My previous grocery bike had a broken frame, so I needed a new one. It
      was a logical (and much wanted) step up to the Xtracycle. Especially
      since I'd be able to take my daughter(s) with me.

      > 3. What obstacles stood in the way of you becoming an Xtracycle owner? Please
      > be as specific as you can here.

      Cash and time mainly. I spent six months or so getting parts: frames,
      wheels, brakes, bars, stems, etc.

      > What were your reservations, fears, > resistances. Details baby!

      I was worried about sufficient braking mostly. That's why I have a
      booster arch on the front and the disc on the rear.

      > 4. Did you purchase your Xtracycle from a bike shop? What was that experience
      > like? What shop did you use?a

      Yes. Just ducky, since they've done a lot of them. Aaron's bike
      repair in Seattle.

      > 5. How long did it take until you purchased an Xtracycle for yourself?

      About six months, mainly to get parts and get ready to build it up.

      > 6. How did you get over your reservations/fears (if you had any) about
      > owning and using an Xtracycle? Said another way: what fears that
      > you had were resolved or worked around, and how?

      > 7. Describe your experience of Xtracycle ownership?

      I've been very pleased with it. About the only downside was the bike is
      completely not ridable no-hands. I use it to go get groceries (with and
      without children in tow). I get lots of looks and dropped jaws when
      I'm cruising home with a kid on back, a kid on front (BoBike Mini), and
      four bags of groceries.

      > 8. Do any of your family/friends own an Xtracycle?

      Lots of my friends own them, but we're kind of the exception. I know at
      least a half dozen people. Currently I'm thinking about setting up a
      second one as a family cycle that would adjustable enough my wife could
      use it also.

      --
      Dane Buson - Buson@...
      Real Time, adj.:
      Message 46 of 46 , Mar 8, 2008
        Carl
        I just got my dual blue down low glow yesterday. It was supposed to
        be a birthday present, but it's a while past my birthday... Anyway,
        I'm excited to have the blue glow. I've also been using some blue
        spoke lights. I think i will be well seen!

        (that plus dual headlights, a flash flag, and the brightest rear
        blinkie avaialable!)

        Morgan