sloppy shifts

  • Todd Reed
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2007
      Howdy all,

      I don't know that this is a strictly Xtracycle related problem. There's probably lots on the list who would know how to fix this though. I've got a Bridgestone MB-1 frame with my Xtracycle on the rear. It's a nice solid retro Cro-Mo mtb frame with classic dimensions, or so I've been told. I've got a Shimano XT rear derailleur and Deore XT thumbshifters. My chain is slipping from gear to gear in back and it's become a source of great angst for me.

      I recently installed a new rear 7-speed cluster and Shimano chain set since the chain had stretched and the cogset was pretty old. The performance of this new setup leaves something to be desired. Nothing like a chain slipping from gear to gear after a shift to give you that uneasy feeling. I would guess the bike ship sold me some knock-off rear cog, but perhaps it also has to do with the long chain length with the Xtracycle.

      More than anything on a bike I really appreciate having a solid drive-train that's predictable and trouble-free. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions how I can achieve this on my bike.

      Thanks in advance for any tips.

      Todd

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2007

        Todd,

                    Over the years I have noticed more chain slippage on my Xtracycled bike than in the past. I believe it to be a result of the longer chain. What I think happens is the length of the chain pulls on the derailleur and alters the spring tension more than on a normal bike. When shifting gears or hitting a bump, I believe the weighted strain on the derailleur arm sometimes causes the chain to “bounce”, which causes the chain to skip/slip on the gears due to the brief reduction in tension.

                    It may be possible to increase the tension on the spring in your derailleur. I have actually converted my bike to a single speed using Surly’s Tensionator (I forget if that is what they actually call it). This way I could get a slightly thicker gear, chain-ring, and chain for longer duration, to avoid extra wear from shifting, and to simplify things for maintenance purposes. Unfortunately I encountered about the same amount of chain skipping as before. Fortunately however, my old bike shop popped open the Tensionator and physically increased the spring’s tension. Now I infrequently notice chain skipping, except on the Tensionator itself if I unnecessarily slam into a major bump at a high speed, but the Tensionator has its own rails, so I have never experienced completely chain slippage since the adjustment.

                    While reading your post I was going to mention chain stretching and gear/chain-ring wear definitely contribute to the potential for chain skipping. However, you did say you recently installed a rear cluster and new chain, so worn out parts should not be contributing to your particular situation. How were your chain-rings though? I do not think you said you replaced them. If they are worn enough and you replaced the rear cassette and drive chain, but not the chain ring, then the difference in how the new chain fits into the teeth of the old chain ring could possibly contribute to overall wear. As I said before, worn drive mechanisms can certainly be a factor in chain skipping.

        _TONE_

      • Mark Garvey
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2007
          On Nov 1, 2007 3:29 PM, Todd Reed <tl_reed@...> wrote:
          > Howdy all,

          . My chain is slipping from gear to gear in back and it's become a
          source of great angst for me.

          > More than anything on a bike I really appreciate having a solid drive-train that's predictable and trouble-free. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions how I can achieve this on my bike.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for any tips.
          >
          > Todd

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

          > ride to believe.
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Mark Garvey
          Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

          Check out the web site at:
          http://www.vine-ave.com

          contact us to have Papa Balloon appear at your next program! Details
          at www.vine-ave.com

          I am a bicycling lifestylist!
        • Mark Garvey
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2007
            On Nov 1, 2007 3:29 PM, Todd Reed <tl_reed@...> wrote:
            . My chain is slipping from gear to gear in back and it's become a
            source of great angst for me.

            > More than anything on a bike I really appreciate having a solid drive-train that's predictable and trouble-free. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions how I can achieve this on my bike.
            >
            > Thanks in advance for any tips.
            >
            > Todd

            the chain tension thing is one point and one way to deal with it is to
            use a chain idler. I have been riding recumbent bikes and trikes for
            several years and most have from one to three chain idlers to help
            route the chain and keep it from dragging on the derailleur. You can
            rig one using a skateboard wheel and a suitably sized bolt if you like
            (that is what I plan to do myself) or you can find a piece of teflon
            tube and run it from just a bit behind the chainring to just ahead of
            teh tension wheels on the derailleur and support it at a couple of
            places with zip ties. I have used BOTH methods and both WORK!

            You could talk to Pat Franz at Terracycle to see if something they
            make would be suitable, I haven't, but then I purchased one of his
            idlers for my WizWheels Trike some years ago and they are very well
            made! I also purchased a flip stem for my Vision recumbent bike and
            I was absolutely pleased with the quality of his work. Possibly the
            folks at Xtracycle might want to explore the possibility of Pat coming
            up with a proper idler for the X. It would take the weight of the
            chain off the Derailleur and make shifting more positive I believe.

            I personally have not had this difficulty with my X, but then it could
            be in my future! My vision had really awful shifting until I upgraded
            the shift levers to Shimano bar Cons and went to friction shifters, so
            that MIGHT be a factor. I had index shifters on the Vision when I
            first acquired it and I could not throw them far enough!

            mark

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2007
              It is possible that your indexed shifter is out of whack.
              I am not 100% sure how to adjust a 7-speed shifter, but
              for an 8 or 9, the rule is to shift so that the derailleur should
              be on the second smallest cog, adjust the cable tension so
              that it is just jumping at #3 from #2, then back off a little so
              that it stays in #2 (but no more than necessary).

              I do this, and check it after big temperature swings, and
              I have had nothing but good shifts.

              On 2007-11-01, at 4:29 PM, Todd Reed wrote:

              > Howdy all,
              >
              > I don't know that this is a strictly Xtracycle related problem.
              > There's probably lots on the list who would know how to fix this
              > though. I've got a Bridgestone MB-1 frame with my Xtracycle on the
              > rear. It's a nice solid retro Cro-Mo mtb frame with classic
              > dimensions, or so I've been told. I've got a Shimano XT rear
              > derailleur and Deore XT thumbshifters. My chain is slipping from
              > gear to gear in back and it's become a source of great angst for me.
              >
              > I recently installed a new rear 7-speed cluster and Shimano chain
              > set since the chain had stretched and the cogset was pretty old.
              > The performance of this new setup leaves something to be desired.
              > Nothing like a chain slipping from gear to gear after a shift to
              > give you that uneasy feeling. I would guess the bike ship sold me
              > some knock-off rear cog, but perhaps it also has to do with the
              > long chain length with the Xtracycle.
              >
              > More than anything on a bike I really appreciate having a solid
              > drive-train that's predictable and trouble-free. I'm wondering if
              > anyone has any suggestions how I can achieve this on my bike.
              >
              > Thanks in advance for any tips.
              >
              > Todd

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Mark Garvey
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2007
                Oh, another point, get friction shifters! I have NEVER had good luck
                with index shifters. which was part of the point I made in my last
                note. I love my friction shifters. yes, sometimes I have a little
                problem with the chain not quite in one gear or another, but when I
                have friction shifters, I can jiggle them to the right place. you can
                NOT do this with index shifters!

                mark

                On Nov 1, 2007 6:53 PM, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:
                > It is possible that your indexed shifter is out of whack.
                > I am not 100% sure how to adjust a 7-speed shifter, but
                > for an 8 or 9, the rule is to shift so that the derailleur should
                > be on the second smallest cog, adjust the cable tension so
                > that it is just jumping at #3 from #2, then back off a little so
                > that it stays in #2 (but no more than necessary).
                >
                > I do this, and check it after big temperature swings, and
                > I have had nothing but good shifts.
                >

                > On 2007-11-01, at 4:29 PM, Todd Reed wrote:
                >
                > > Howdy all,
                > >
                > > I don't know that this is a strictly Xtracycle related problem.
                > > There's probably lots on the list who would know how to fix this
                > > though. I've got a Bridgestone MB-1 frame with my Xtracycle on the
                > > rear. It's a nice solid retro Cro-Mo mtb frame with classic
                > > dimensions, or so I've been told. I've got a Shimano XT rear
                > > derailleur and Deore XT thumbshifters. My chain is slipping from
                > > gear to gear in back and it's become a source of great angst for me.
                > >
                > > I recently installed a new rear 7-speed cluster and Shimano chain
                > > set since the chain had stretched and the cogset was pretty old.
                > > The performance of this new setup leaves something to be desired.
                > > Nothing like a chain slipping from gear to gear after a shift to
                > > give you that uneasy feeling. I would guess the bike ship sold me
                > > some knock-off rear cog, but perhaps it also has to do with the
                > > long chain length with the Xtracycle.
                > >
                > > More than anything on a bike I really appreciate having a solid
                > > drive-train that's predictable and trouble-free. I'm wondering if
                > > anyone has any suggestions how I can achieve this on my bike.
                > >
                > > Thanks in advance for any tips.
                > >
                > > Todd

                > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                > ride to believe.
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Mark Garvey
                Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

                Check out the web site at:
                http://www.vine-ave.com

                contact us to have Papa Balloon appear at your next program! Details
                at www.vine-ave.com

                I am a bicycling lifestylist!
              • liza mattana
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 1, 2007
                  hey,

                  so when you shift, it is exact and your chain stays in the right gear, but then it slips after riding for a little while? when you're carrying a heavy load? when you're bearing down on it and trying to crank up a hill?

                  i'm just trying to get a better picture of when it's happening. we have our x attached to a 1990 MB-2 with friction thumbshifters . our chain only skipped around a bit when we carried heavy loads and especially when we really torqued on it. my husband attributed it to frame flex. just another theory.

                  liza

                  --
                  liza mattana
                  http://www.pedals2people.org
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 2, 2007
                    Well, since you've got thumbshifters, I'd first try switching to
                    friction mode (the little lever on the side of the right shifter),
                    which lets you trim cable length continuously, rather than "clicking"
                    into gear...

                    Some other things to check would be:

                    * tightness of rear cassette (or freewheel) -- sometimes you need to
                    add a 1mm spacer to get the cassette to lock down tighly on the hub.
                    If there is any play in the cassette, resolve that first. Especially
                    since you just switched cassettes -- it's very common for them to
                    have slightly different widths, so the locknut engages before the
                    cassette is clamped down.

                    * straightness of the derailleur hanger. On your steel bike (sweet
                    frame, BTW!!!), it's integrated into the frame, but can still become
                    bent slightly. Good shops will have a Park tool to check alignment,
                    or you can roughly eyeball it.

                    * make sure the chain doesn't have any protruding rivets along its
                    length -- especially since you have two chains attached to each
                    other. (and make sure they're the same type of chain, and that you
                    don't have a length of old chain attached to some new chain with less
                    wear!)

                    * the Park tools site has pretty good tips for adjusting your rear
                    derailleur -- I assume you've gone through and set the H and L screws
                    and the B screw (to adjust the angle of the derailleur body), but it
                    never hurts to start over and get everything dialled in properly.
                    --

                    -----
                    Jeff Ong, Managing Partner, Leadcleaner (http://www.leadcleaner.com)