Re: [rootsradicals] Car Free Month

  • Anne Littlebird
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 27, 2007
      My wish list is getting quite long.

      Annie

      TheJonesgal@... wrote:

      > Anne, Thanks so much!
      > Maybe we could all share "wish list" items for bike stuff.
      > Gerry

    • Morgan
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 28, 2007
        Anne,
        That's great, congratulations!

        I didn't realize you were also in the southeast, but some of the attitudes you have
        experienced are definitely worse here in the southeast (and I have a relative in Louisville
        who says it's particularly acute there...). I've lived in the Western US, Midwest, and now
        southeast, and people here in the southeast just don't understand the "outdoors". It's as if
        the outdoors is an alien creature to be avoided at all costs. People do their utmost to
        move from one climate-controlled space to the next with the absolute minimal of
        exposure to the slightest bodily discomfort.

        We have a beautiful trail in our neighborhood running along a creek, and the only people
        that ever use it are those of us who moved here from the western US. Everyone else, when
        or if they do actually go for a walk, walks along the road or at the mall (!). Seriously, one
        of our next-door neighbors had a health issue that required regular walks, and instead of
        walking in our neighborhood, they would drive 20 miles to the mall to go for walks. When
        I think about it, that astounds me.

        And then there was the maintenance guy in my building who once asked how far I bike to
        work. I told him "7 miles" which to me doesn't sound far at all (having ridden 75 miles
        yesterday!). He cringed and said "wow, you must really intimidate your husband!". That is
        so funny (and sad) on so many levels.

        One last thing: I would add "women in mini vans with cell phones" to the list. I have found
        around here that many women in mini vans are just as bad as women in SUV's.

        Why is it that some of the most hostile/aggressive drivers are women? Actually, I just
        realized something: maybe it's because in the rest of life we're expected to be so
        controlled and not show hostility/aggression, that it gets pent up. And for whatever
        reason, getting in a car makes one feel anonymous and hence able to escape social norms,
        letting out all that pent up aggression. That would make for a very interesting
        psychological study!

        Enough rambling. Again, congrats - leading by example is the only way to lead in my
        book.

        Morgan G

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...> wrote:

        > I can't believe it's been a month since I took the car off the rode,
        > attached the X and cycled off into the sunrise. It's been an eye opening
        > month to say the least.
        >[snip]
      • Sue
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 28, 2007
          Hi Anne,

          I'm not sure what kind of building you work in but perhaps you could find someone in the maintenance department and found out where the utility closet is. Many times these utility closets have what looks like a shower pan and drain on the floor where they fill buckets to mop the tile floors. During the day that area might be available for you to hang your wet outer gear. Just a thought.

          Sue
[...]

          ride to believe.
          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Justina Voulgaris
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 29, 2007

            Anne Littlebird, you are an inspiration!  Thank you!!

            This is a far-out suggestion for the wet outer gear, but I've learned that crazy brainstorming can lead to good ideas.  What if you had two sets of outer gear?  Then you could toss the wet morning gear in a trash bag or big ziplock, wear the second set home, then hang it all out to dry at home that evening?

            Justina

          • Anne Littlebird
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
              A great suggestion Justina, but it wouldn't annoy anyone. :) Seriously
              it's been amazing to me how my work place does not think outside the
              box. When they built the new building the then current staff requested
              showers, so we have them, but the look of surprise that I might actually
              want to use them was a shock to me. I haven't needed to yet but I
              thought the option was marvelous. We do have a bicycle rack.

              It was tough ride to work yesterday. I had to do it without the X!
              Withdrawal set in quickly. Sunday night at my second job I managed to
              get food poisoning so by midnight when I was supposed to ride home I had
              a migraine so bad I couldn't see. It's been 7 years since I had one of
              these. No possible way to cycle the 5 miles home. So my relief took me
              home. The X was left in their garage.

              Luckily I kept the old 3 speed so I knew I could get to work but duh!
              there are no lights on it and at 7:30 in the morning it's dark. So I had
              to do the sidewalk thing so I would get to work in one piece. Tonight
              I'll go over and retrieve the Hawk. And I'll add lights to my ever
              growing list so that the next emergency the 3 speed will be OK to use.

              Thought I was saving money but right now there is still some expense in
              getting everything set up they way I want it so come spring the car is
              sold.

              Annie

              --
              Anne Littlebird
              Issumatuq Herbals
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
                Have you considered towing your 3sp bike home using the Xtracycle?
                It has worked for me.
                Juergen

              • issumatuq@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
                  Cara suggested that too. Haven't tried it. If it wasn't so hilly on the way back - up hills are REALLY bad for me. That old Raleigh is heavy.

                  OK so sometimes I'm a whimp. You all are going to guilt me into it...

                  Anne

                  Anne Littlebird wrote:

                  > No possible way to cycle the 5 miles home. So my relief took me
                  > home. The X was left in their garage.
                  >
                  > Luckily I kept the old 3 speed so I knew I could get to work but duh!
                  > there are no lights on it and at 7:30 in the morning it's dark. So I had
                  > to do the sidewalk thing so I would get to work in one piece. Tonight
                  > I'll go over and retrieve the Hawk. And I'll add lights to my ever
                  > growing list so that the next emergency the 3 speed will be OK to use.
                  >
                  > Thought I was saving money but right now there is still some expense in
                  > getting everything set up they way I want it so come spring the car is
                  > sold.
                  >
                  > Annie

                • alexbknight
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 2, 2007
                    Congratulations Anne,
                    A poncho / Cape is the ultimate cycling accessory. I toured a long
                    time with all the "proper" Gore-tex equipment - and getting wet. A
                    $2 cape in China solved all those issues.
                    I carry a "slightly more expensive" version at all times in the
                    pockets, the only thing you really need to think about then is
                    possible wet feet if the rain is really bouncing back off the road.

                    All the best!

                    Alex