Car Free Month

  • Anne Littlebird
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 27, 2007
      I can't believe it's been a month since I took the car off the rode,
      attached the X and cycled off into the sunrise. It's been an eye opening
      month to say the least.

      Commuting hasn't been too bad. My problems are in order of worst to
      getting worse: 1. women in SUVs driving and using cellphones, 2. women
      in other cars driving and using cell phones, 3. bunches of teens in a
      single car and 4. men in new pickup trucks never used for hauling
      anything and they don't intend to. And the game of 'let's see how close
      we can get to the handlebars' game. One of my personal favs.

      It took forever to get the insurance company to understand that the car
      was off the road and could not be driven legally. The underwriters tried
      to insist that I had to keep the insurance since it was the only car in
      the household and I would need it for emergencies. Huh?????? After
      threatening to cancel the policy completely they managed to understand.
      34 years with the same company means nothing. I will say that the City
      of Louisville was very encouraging when I turned the plates in.

      I certainly didn't like the torrential downpours last week as I left for
      work at 6:30 am (this was overtime week) and I have a note to get better
      rain gear. Although on the second day I did my brilliant impression of
      the queen with my 20 old hunter wellies and waxed cotton jacket - both
      far better than the cheesy cycling rain gear I have - and a head scarf.

      3 people at work thought the flashing velcro leg strap to keep the dress
      pants out the chain was a home incarceration device and proceeded to get
      upset about that. Some people watch FAR too much TV. Another reason I
      don't have one. I had a visit from HR - who left my office rather
      embarrassed.

      My supervisor got really testy when I hung my dripping wet jacket and
      boots in the bathroom so it wouldn't drip all over the carpet while they
      dried. She didn't want to look at them so the next day as it was still
      raining heavily I hung them in the closet so that the water seeped out
      under the door and into the hall. Wasn't that considerate of me?

      I've hauled groceries, tables, clothes for good will, large packages.
      I've been yelled at by little old ladies marching for peace about my
      helmet-less state, cheered on by homeless guys and aggravated my
      co-workers in some manner.

      It's been a great month and I'm loving every minute of it! The X is
      awesome. I am however giving up the second job. I need the money but the
      gentleman I care give for is getting difficult to manage and cycling
      back home after midnight is the pits. And it makes me way too tired on
      Monday morning. I'll figure out another way to make up that income.

      Now I just need new handlebars...Guess I'd better do that before I give
      up the second job. :-)

      --
      Anne Littlebird
      Issumatuq Herbals
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 27, 2007
        Congrats Littlebird:

        liberation of the typical Pop Americana Lifestyle.  Huxley wrote about the "reducing valve" of our perceptions, and in our Pop Americana Life i strongly believe that "reducing valve" to be the Car.  Its an easy solution if you ask me.  Typical problematic lifestyles have the car at the core, so simply address the core and the rest seems to settle down, but most people cant handle the bicycle lifestyle.

        Co-workers, jobs, etc all have an adjustment period to go thru when it comes to bikes.  Before i left my job in Monterey, I had been there for 14yrs, and i dont think they actually understood the life, albeit that by the time i had resigned there were about a dozen bike enthusiasts, some whom would actually ride to work!  whoa!  and dig this...sometimes i'd get to work and the bike lockers would be full!  My dream was becoming reality.  and i always would think to myself things like "be the change you want to see", "the way you live your life is your greatest statement"...things like that.

        As for rain, well...i simply resign to it.  No matter what lengths i've gone thru, i always get wet, its just a matter of "How wet & how cold", so i learned of Poogies or Moose Mitts (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=179026&page=4) and yes people dont like dripping clothing in the restrooms, so i simply take extra clothing, and i like those monster huge zip lock bags to put my clothing in.  sort of like packing lunch.  baggie for wet clothes, and baggie with dry clothes.  I've found that the cheapie $20-ish clear PVC bicycle rain jackets to be the best.  and carry a towel.  and you might enjoy having a shoe dryer around, like Peet Feet http://www.peetshoedryer.com/peet_shoe_dryer_products.php

        Right now I really dig Dickies.  I got a set of pants for $25 and 13 inch shorts are $15.  you can simply apply water repellant to them, but its not totally waterproof.  when it comes to the cold and wet, if you have the choice choose routes that go UP HILL, and stick to the canyons and forests, beware that they are dynamic areas, and often have lots of debris and falling branches etc, however the up shot is that if you have the choice pick the leeward side to give you shelter from the storm.  and of course going up hill is about like "turning on the heater" on a bicycle.

        peace....d
        www.AsanaCycles.com

      • Juergen Weichert
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 27, 2007
          Awesome! :-)
          Juergen

        • TheJonesgal@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 27, 2007
            Thanks Anne, You're inspiring to me.
            I've slacked off lately on bike riding - too tired, too much rain, etc. And here you've ridden through it all!
            For everyone else, someone talked about a poncho for bike riding and I thought I saved the info but now can't find it. Could someone repost it. I'm coming up with a wish list for Christmas!

            Gerry outside Seattle

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 27, 2007
              Gerry,

              Here are three different places that have capes/ponchos. I'll probably
              get one myself soon.

              www.campmor.com
              http://www.catoregon.org/catstore.htm
              http://www.bicycleclothing.com/Rain-Capes.html

              Didn't have a choice but to ride. Besides we are so drought ridden here
              that the rain was a real blessing. And it's been easier for the most
              part than I thought it would be. I'm actually less tired.

              And I haven't done snow and ice yet. :) Better add different tires to
              the list before I quit the 2nd job.

              --
              Anne Littlebird
              Issumatuq Herbals
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 27, 2007
                Thanks D for the great suggestions. Moose mitts might be better than my
                Inuit made mitts but I'm not sure. :) Love those gloves.

                I usually take extra clothing but I wanted to dry out the outer wear to
                be able to wear it home and was trying to be considerate but then no
                matter what I do is an issue for my supervisor. But that's what she gets
                for not being in the interview when they hired me. She's nice lady but
                very prejudice and finds all kinds of ways to find fault. I just roll
                with the punches.

                I hoping to change departments in the next few weeks. Our IT person
                finally retired and I'm in the running for the job. It did come up that
                perhaps no car would be an issue if there was an problem with the
                server and I'd have to get here quickly. I pointed out that it takes me
                15 mins by bike to get there from home. Our old IT person lived 35-40
                mins by car. And I could access the server from home anyway - like the
                old IT person.

                it's great that your old place of employment began to embrace cycling -
                unfortunately I can't see it happening where I work.

                Annie

                --
                Anne Littlebird
                Issumatuq Herbals
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 27, 2007
                  Anne, Thanks so much!
                  Maybe we could all share "wish list" items for bike stuff.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 27, 2007
                    My wish list is getting quite long.

                    Annie

                    TheJonesgal@... wrote:

                    > Anne, Thanks so much!
                    > Maybe we could all share "wish list" items for bike stuff.
                    > Gerry

                  • Morgan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 28, 2007
                      Anne,
                      That's great, congratulations!

                      I didn't realize you were also in the southeast, but some of the attitudes you have
                      experienced are definitely worse here in the southeast (and I have a relative in Louisville
                      who says it's particularly acute there...). I've lived in the Western US, Midwest, and now
                      southeast, and people here in the southeast just don't understand the "outdoors". It's as if
                      the outdoors is an alien creature to be avoided at all costs. People do their utmost to
                      move from one climate-controlled space to the next with the absolute minimal of
                      exposure to the slightest bodily discomfort.

                      We have a beautiful trail in our neighborhood running along a creek, and the only people
                      that ever use it are those of us who moved here from the western US. Everyone else, when
                      or if they do actually go for a walk, walks along the road or at the mall (!). Seriously, one
                      of our next-door neighbors had a health issue that required regular walks, and instead of
                      walking in our neighborhood, they would drive 20 miles to the mall to go for walks. When
                      I think about it, that astounds me.

                      And then there was the maintenance guy in my building who once asked how far I bike to
                      work. I told him "7 miles" which to me doesn't sound far at all (having ridden 75 miles
                      yesterday!). He cringed and said "wow, you must really intimidate your husband!". That is
                      so funny (and sad) on so many levels.

                      One last thing: I would add "women in mini vans with cell phones" to the list. I have found
                      around here that many women in mini vans are just as bad as women in SUV's.

                      Why is it that some of the most hostile/aggressive drivers are women? Actually, I just
                      realized something: maybe it's because in the rest of life we're expected to be so
                      controlled and not show hostility/aggression, that it gets pent up. And for whatever
                      reason, getting in a car makes one feel anonymous and hence able to escape social norms,
                      letting out all that pent up aggression. That would make for a very interesting
                      psychological study!

                      Enough rambling. Again, congrats - leading by example is the only way to lead in my
                      book.

                      Morgan G

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...> wrote:

                      > I can't believe it's been a month since I took the car off the rode,
                      > attached the X and cycled off into the sunrise. It's been an eye opening
                      > month to say the least.
                      >[snip]
                    • Sue
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 28, 2007
                        Hi Anne,

                        I'm not sure what kind of building you work in but perhaps you could find someone in the maintenance department and found out where the utility closet is. Many times these utility closets have what looks like a shower pan and drain on the floor where they fill buckets to mop the tile floors. During the day that area might be available for you to hang your wet outer gear. Just a thought.

                        Sue
[...]

                        ride to believe.
                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      • Justina Voulgaris
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 29, 2007

                          Anne Littlebird, you are an inspiration!  Thank you!!

                          This is a far-out suggestion for the wet outer gear, but I've learned that crazy brainstorming can lead to good ideas.  What if you had two sets of outer gear?  Then you could toss the wet morning gear in a trash bag or big ziplock, wear the second set home, then hang it all out to dry at home that evening?

                          Justina

                        • Anne Littlebird
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
                            A great suggestion Justina, but it wouldn't annoy anyone. :) Seriously
                            it's been amazing to me how my work place does not think outside the
                            box. When they built the new building the then current staff requested
                            showers, so we have them, but the look of surprise that I might actually
                            want to use them was a shock to me. I haven't needed to yet but I
                            thought the option was marvelous. We do have a bicycle rack.

                            It was tough ride to work yesterday. I had to do it without the X!
                            Withdrawal set in quickly. Sunday night at my second job I managed to
                            get food poisoning so by midnight when I was supposed to ride home I had
                            a migraine so bad I couldn't see. It's been 7 years since I had one of
                            these. No possible way to cycle the 5 miles home. So my relief took me
                            home. The X was left in their garage.

                            Luckily I kept the old 3 speed so I knew I could get to work but duh!
                            there are no lights on it and at 7:30 in the morning it's dark. So I had
                            to do the sidewalk thing so I would get to work in one piece. Tonight
                            I'll go over and retrieve the Hawk. And I'll add lights to my ever
                            growing list so that the next emergency the 3 speed will be OK to use.

                            Thought I was saving money but right now there is still some expense in
                            getting everything set up they way I want it so come spring the car is
                            sold.

                            Annie

                            --
                            Anne Littlebird
                            Issumatuq Herbals
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
                              Have you considered towing your 3sp bike home using the Xtracycle?
                              It has worked for me.
                              Juergen

                            • issumatuq@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
                                Cara suggested that too. Haven't tried it. If it wasn't so hilly on the way back - up hills are REALLY bad for me. That old Raleigh is heavy.

                                OK so sometimes I'm a whimp. You all are going to guilt me into it...

                                Anne

                                Anne Littlebird wrote:

                                > No possible way to cycle the 5 miles home. So my relief took me
                                > home. The X was left in their garage.
                                >
                                > Luckily I kept the old 3 speed so I knew I could get to work but duh!
                                > there are no lights on it and at 7:30 in the morning it's dark. So I had
                                > to do the sidewalk thing so I would get to work in one piece. Tonight
                                > I'll go over and retrieve the Hawk. And I'll add lights to my ever
                                > growing list so that the next emergency the 3 speed will be OK to use.
                                >
                                > Thought I was saving money but right now there is still some expense in
                                > getting everything set up they way I want it so come spring the car is
                                > sold.
                                >
                                > Annie

                              • alexbknight
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 2, 2007
                                  Congratulations Anne,
                                  A poncho / Cape is the ultimate cycling accessory. I toured a long
                                  time with all the "proper" Gore-tex equipment - and getting wet. A
                                  $2 cape in China solved all those issues.
                                  I carry a "slightly more expensive" version at all times in the
                                  pockets, the only thing you really need to think about then is
                                  possible wet feet if the rain is really bouncing back off the road.

                                  All the best!

                                  Alex