RE: [rootsradicals] Re: My tire got bent

  • Mike Leger
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26 12:36 PM
      If you're running disk brakes, you can convert to 559 (26") wheels
      without problems. See the cleverchimp site (Stokemonkey addition to
      Xtracycle conversion) blog for pics of my bike. I am much happier with
      the smaller wheels, and have no issues, other than better handling and
      an occasional pedal skim, with the smaller wheels.

      -Mike

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 26 2:06 PM
        Message
        I had the standard wheel that came with my Rocky Mtn Mtn bike and cracked a couple of spokes and tweeked the rim a little when I had the sub under heavy load.  I bought a Sun Mammoth rear wheel and haven't had any problems at all.  That thing is a tank and durable as h#ll.  I'm thinking that standard hybrid 700 wheels can't really take the whoopin that the xtracyle dishes out.  Most wheels are built around the principal that bike riders range from 110 to 180 lbs...now what happens when you got 200lbs of cargo and a 190lb rider???  Taco Wheel. :)

        <notnosect2003@...> wrote:

        > I have a 700C tire, and use the 700 freerad kit.
        >
        > My tire needed trueing about a month ago, before I even put the xtra
        > on. I have a large hybrid bike.
        >
        > Anyways, my bike ran smooth with the hybrid, unil a few days ago. I
        > loaded up 4 large grocery bags on each side of the xtra, with a large
        > backpack on top. I rode a few miles home.
        >
        > The next day I realized the tire was skinning the side of the rad
        > badly, making a lot of noise and slowing me down. I finally looked and
        > the tire is either bent or not aligned right... not sure...
        >
        > Can my bike not handle large loads? Or is this just a problem with my
        > un-trued tire? I've heard that for loads, its better to use 26 inch
        > tires, as they're more stable.
        >
        > Ughhh I really don't want to have to get a 26 mountain bike, cuz I
        > would have to sell my xtra/buy a bike/install the new xtra etc...

      • John Speare
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 26 2:37 PM
          On 4/26/06, Big Wave Dave <notnosect2003@...> wrote:

          > Can my bike not handle large loads? Or is this just a problem with my
          > un-trued tire? I've heard that for loads, its better to use 26 inch
          > tires, as they're more stable.
          >
          > Ughhh I really don't want to have to get a 26 mountain bike, cuz I
          > would have to sell my xtra/buy a bike/install the new xtra etc...

          Your bike should be able to handle the load fine. As others have
          mentioned, you likely just need a new wheel. I'm hypothesizing a bit
          here, but most bikes sold as "hybrids" don't have really great
          components on them. One place for a manufacturer to save some coin is
          on the wheel. It's likely you have a lower quality hub/rim combo and
          the wheel was most certainly built by machine. And it likely has 32
          spokes. All of these factors decrease the strength and durability of
          the wheel.

          If you will be hauling a bunch of weight on the bike, I would invest
          in a good wheel. A 36 spoke wheel is great. But it's more important
          that it's built by hand.

          if you have a wad of cash in your pocket, here's a very strong, no
          nonsense wheel built by a pro at a fair price:
          http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/wheels/18103.html
          The rim holes are drilled offset on this rim, so the wheel, when built
          up, is nearly symmetrical... which makes it stronger. Plus: it's 36
          spokes.

          If you're handy, try building your own wheel. It's pretty straight
          forward if you take your time. Building your own wheel will save you
          about $40 in labor and will give you a very useful skill as a
          self-sufficient cyclist. Sheldon Brown has probably the best walk
          through on wheel building that I know of:
          http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

          Good luck.

          John

          --
          John Speare
          Spokane, WA USA
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 27 7:50 AM
            lots of good touring rims out there that will more then take the weight if properly built up go see your LBS sure they can help

            <notnosect2003@...> wrote:

            > I have a 700C tire, and use the 700 freerad kit.
            >
            > My tire needed trueing about a month ago, before I even put the xtra
            > on. I have a large hybrid bike.
            >
            > Anyways, my bike ran smooth with the hybrid, unil a few days ago. I
            > loaded up 4 large grocery bags on each side of the xtra, with a large
            > backpack on top. I rode a few miles home.
            >
            > The next day I realized the tire was skinning the side of the rad
            > badly, making a lot of noise and slowing me down. I finally looked and
            > the tire is either bent or not aligned right... not sure...
            >
            > Can my bike not handle large loads? Or is this just a problem with my
            > un-trued tire? I've heard that for loads, its better to use 26 inch
            > tires, as they're more stable.
            >
            > Ughhh I really don't want to have to get a 26 mountain bike, cuz I
            > would have to sell my xtra/buy a bike/install the new xtra etc...

          • Big Wave Dave
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 29 9:40 AM
              I ended up getting a new wheel made for me. A sturdy rim, 26 spokes, a
              new hub, and some armadillo tires.

              Pretty expensive.. 270 dollars. Woot!

              But hopefully with this I will have confidence to carry a ton of
              stuff, and also go touring if I decide to do it.

              Thanks for any help.