RE: [rootsradicals] Gas prices/Free radicals/the revolution

  • Leifert, Jesse - BLS
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 26, 2006
      Message
      Gas is over 3.30 here in our nations capital...and more people are out on bikes.

      Now would be a good time for some heavy marketing from xtracycle, inc to push urban transport options. ;)

      Kipchoge...thanks for the write up, it looks good.  I'm interested to hear how the front brake setup works when you get around to setting it up.

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 26, 2006
        RE: [rootsradicals] Gas prices/Free radicals/the revolutio
        Manufacturing costs will rise.

        Shipping costs will rise (are already)

        Demand will rise  :)

        Hopefully, the quality of life will rise!

        A global depression is likely, tho may be that less crap and more growing veg and interacting will be good for people's happiness.

        Less stuff, tho better quality / built to last.

        Cheers

        Merlin

        Gas is over 3.30 here in our nations capital...and more people are out on bikes.

        Now would be a good time for some heavy marketing from xtracycle, inc to push urban transport options. ;)

        Kipchoge...thanks for the write up, it looks good.  I'm interested to hear how the front brake setup works when you get around to setting it up.

        Does anyone else wonder what gas prices will mean for the Free Radical,
        or if there's a chart in some Econ. prof's lecture book that shows
        rising gas prices leading to fewer cars and more bikes? Gasoline here
        in Minneapolis costs nearly $3 a gallon. I can think of dozens of
        people I work with who would be perfectly happy with a Free Radical and
        a Stoke Monkey chugging them back and forth to work, gasfree and
        probably losing very little time on their commute. To ask it in a
        simple question: is the revolution at hand?

        ride to believe.

        Konjac root Roots blower Ginseng root Root canal Root canal therapy Burdock root

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Susan
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 26, 2006
          I think people are starting to get scared... which often translates
          into anger... it's when leadership is crucial. (That's what makes
          *me* scared.) So I've been trying to "lead" - but let's face it, the
          dependence is deeper than what would be solved by Xtracycles. How
          many jobs make people travel a **lot**? More importantly, whatever
          changes happen tend to happen in a way that makes the already in
          economic power stay that way... when times get economically tough
          things get harder for everybody who's not got a big ol' financial
          safety margin.
          NPR talked a lot about venture capitalists going after people doing
          alternative energy stuff, though.
          And on an individual basis... MAN, has this contraption saved me
          bucks. And done cool stuff. However, it's priced beyond the impulse
          threshold for people who care about saving the bucks - and that's what
          the latest jump in the gas prices might have changed (that "let's try
          this..." threshold). I know my first reaction was the email I sent to
          a buddy saying "here's another thing that looks cool, and fortunately
          it's too expensive to be tempting." It was a slow week at the job,
          though, so I had time to wander through the site and dream... and ever
          since I was 23 and bought a little motorcycle instead of a car, I had
          *really* wanted to get a bicycle for getting around.
          Here's the other thing that might be changing. I dreamed of being
          A Person Who Rides Her Bike... knowing that it was pretty far out on
          the fringes. And a year ago, in this college town, my cultural
          classification cruising through was "perhaps student, perhaps
          eccentric college prof, perhaps DUI, perhaps Challenged" (often
          depending on my choice of cycles and accessories).
          That's changed. Now there are more bikes... and more people who
          perceive me as Somebody Doing SOmething About It. (You can choose
          your it.) The Xtracycle is *obviously* not for imitating Lance; it's
          also obviously an intentional accessory, costing money, so it makes me
          less likely to be a reluctant rider (DUI, student, etc). I'd like to
          dream that it even inspires some thought... (hay, meybe *I* could do
          something about it, too)... and broadens the definition of "normal
          behavior" to include riding a bike. (Normal behavior has a pretty
          broad definition in Urbana, not quite as broad in Champaign.)
          Consciously appearing to be an Intentional Cyclist - maybe that's
          what could start some snoballing revolutionary momentum...