Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Dumb or Weird Questions About X

  • Mark Garvey
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 3, 2007
      OK, hang on Ken, I will try to find a copy and either send it to you or copy it here.  I have not done much because between illnesses in teh family (my son in law's father may well be dying,  Not to be dramatic really, but he is very ill!  Not fun!)  Several people have ugly virusses (Viri?) including the youngest members (1 year old grand daughter) and my work has been having me go in at 3 AM 2-3 times a week!  yuk!

      but I WILL get on it!

      mark

      On 10/3/07, Ken Ismert <kismert@...> wrote:

      Mark Garvey wrote:
      > NO, it is the 11 questions bit that X sends out. but now that
      > you mention it, I should develop a propaganda sheet. I will
      > start working on it!

      Mark,

      How are you coming on your propaganda sheet? :)

      BTW, I can't find the 11 questions bit on the Xtracycle site. Do you
      have a link or a document you could share?

      Thanks,

      -Ken

      ride to believe.
      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          mailto: rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Mark  Garvey
      Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

      Check out the web site at:
      http://www.vine-ave.com

      contact us to have Papa Balloon appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

      I am a bicycling lifestylist!
    • Jeff Youngstrom
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 3, 2007
        I couldn't find the text online anywhere, so for posterity, here are the 11 answers in the little cards that ship with the freerad. The one I'm copying has been in the mesh pocket of my freeloader for a year in all weather and it's getting hard to make some of it out:

        Front outside of folded card:
        eleven answers (feel the flavor of the freedom)

        Inside:

        It's called an Xtracycle S.U.B.
        The world's first Sport Utility Bicycle.
        - For car(e)-free shopping trips, cruising with a friend on board, bike camping...basically it enables you [to] have more fun in town or out
        - In many conditions it actually handles better; length=stability!
        - It's an attachment -- the FreeRadical(tm) -- that converts most any bike
        - Definitely: though now regarded as the ultimate urban grocery getter, it was inspired by nicaraguan singletrack and excels at off-road touring
        - Light! As little as 5lbs yet totes as much as you'd ever want (see reverse)
        - Any bike shop can attach it; yes, long cables and chain are included
        - Less than you think, starts at about $189
        - Online, over the phone, or from your favorite local bike shop
        - Yes, but you won't want to
        - Yeah, it'll change your life, but you'll have to ride to believe.

        Then it's got a little place to fill in your own name, telephone and email so people can call you and get more info. Also has the xtracycle logo, www.xtracycle.com, 1-888-537-1401.

        The back side has the word "carry" in a lozenge with a background of lots of things that could be carried:

        guitars vin et fromage <something something>
        your masseuse the baker and his <something> picasso's
        welding equipment backpacks brief cases bowzer
        sleeping bags everyone's gear top secret documents
        tents computers massage table potluck stuff
        fish tanks groceries hardware lots of coffee long boards
        longboards backboards snowboards kickboards skate
        the whole kit and caboodle britannica kids
        pies ( carry ) work clothes suitcases
        tofu              super juicy organic carrots
        water           kayaks very large burritos
        parts for your unreliable, expensive car
        on a conversation with your homie, that weight
        beer coolers pre-schoolers chansaws grandmas
        dive gear cellos bananas records wetsuits kegs
        TVs to the dump 2-3 hobbits Queen Elizabeth
        <something> lover, two if you're lucky dreams

      • murray

          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 3, 2007
            One thing that I also carry around with me is a laminated copy of state vehicle code regarding bicycles.  A lot of questions come up about what is legal and what is not while riding a bicycle, so all I have to do is show them the legal wording, translate it, and most people see I'm not some outlaw causing terror, nor am I risking my neck just to ride.  Also, I have been able to enlighten a few sworn officers about certain parts of the vehicle code they were not familiar with.

            A good resource is:
            http://www.massbike.org/bikelaw/bikelaw.htm

            Look up your state, copy the laws, paste onto a word processing program, and shrink it down to index card size.  You can laminate and carry in a stem pouch or in your pocket, quite easy for quick reference.  You will also want to look up any local statutes just in case you need to include those as well.

            Beth

          • Ken Ismert
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 4, 2007
              Mark,

              Best wishes for your family! Hope they get out of the woods soon.

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...>
              wrote:

              > I have not done much because between illnesses in the
              > family ...
            • Mark Garvey
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 4, 2007
                Yeah, not to be overly morbid here, but Josh's   (my youngest daughter's husband) Father became suddenly ill a few days ago and it has become a systemic infection and he is being treated for systemic shock.  Evidently his body has pretty much shut down.  We are "somewhat concerned" and Mindi and Josh have been at the hospital for about 3 solid days, going home to bathe and sleep some.  Don is a pretty good guy too!

                Other than that it is mostly simply the kids getting a virus, my middle daughter got some sort of really infectious parasite (???? ick!) which they are worried that Rob (they will be married in November) and his 4 year old will get THAT, so far we fine, but things have been a little bit wierd lately!

                Ah well, went and got the Hockey tickets for sat nite..  And a t shirt for the team!  YAY!

                I wil get on my ideas for questions and answers here soon!

                mark

                wrote:

                > I have not done much because between illnesses in the
                > family ...

                ride to believe.
                Yahoo! Groups Links

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Mark  Garvey
                Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

                Check out the web site at:
                http://www.vine-ave.com

                contact us to have Papa Balloon appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

                I am a bicycling lifestylist!
              • Pete.B
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 4, 2007
                  Here's a link to the UK version from LoadsBetter

                  http://www.detnot.com/loadsbetter/php/myCMS/web/loadsbetter/pdf/propaganda.pdf

                  Rgds
                  Pete.B

                • loadsbetter
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 5, 2007
                    Hi,

                    If anybody wants me to then I could do a US version too, or maybe
                    an English language version that doesn't have any prices or
                    telephone numbers or addresses - just www.xtracycle.com.

                    Or is there a PDF version of the original
                    eleven answers that Xtracycle could put on the xtracycle.com?

                    But I think this answer

                    less than you think, starts at about 189

                    should be changed to

                    less than you think, starts at about 244

                    shouldn't it? 244's the USD price for the build your own base frame +
                    install kit.

                    Cheers.

                    Mark

                    Loads Better
                    www.thisisloadsbetter.co.uk
                  • stanstephenson67
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 6, 2007
                    • loadsbetter
                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 6, 2007
                        Hi,

                        Here's my latest effort, which isn't UK-specific this time.

                        http://www.detnot.com/loadsbetter/php/myCMS/web/loadsbetter/pdf/propaga
                        ndatoo.pdf

                        I hope it helps.

                        Cheers.