Re: [rootsradicals] Getting ready to roll

  • Anne Littlebird
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 3, 2007
      Yes and knowing me I'd catch my heel every time. Luckily I have small
      feet so I might be OK. :)

      Annie

      Juergen Weichert wrote:

      > Sounds like ou are having a great time! :-)
      > WideLoaders are awesome.
      >
      > Just remember it is easy to "catch" your heel when starting off. Get on
      > your bike with the WideLoaders and with one foot on the ground just move
      > forward slowly so that you can figure out at which point you catch your
      > heel with the WL (if at all). Then you have to remember not to do
      > that......
      >
      > Juergen

    • murray
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 3, 2007
        Remember to watch out for those bollards they put around bike paths and pedestrian areas to stop cars driving through. Some of them around here are only just wide enough to get through with two wideloaders on. I've clipped one with a wideloader before and buckled my back wheel when the impact shunted the bike sideways. Interestingly the wideloader didn't bend; it only had a small scuff mark, but the wheel was bent out of shape enough to make the tire rub the bike frame. I give them plenty of space now.
        I too have caught my heel when taking off before, as Juergen pointed out. You only have to do it a couple of times for the lesson to sink in. Nothing like a little pain to make the brain learn :-)

        Juergen Weichert wrote:

        > Sounds like ou are having a great time! :-)
        > WideLoaders are awesome.
        >
        > Just remember it is easy to "catch" your heel when starting off. Get on
        > your bike with the WideLoaders and with one foot on the ground just move
        > forward slowly so that you can figure out at which point you catch your
        > heel with the WL (if at all). Then you have to remember not to do
        > that......
        >
        > Juergen

      • Mark Garvey
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 3, 2007
          The catch you heel thing has caught me a time or two as well.  And REALLY watch the clearance to the wideloaders, they stick out there a ways!  You can go through a standard door but not at speed!

          On Monday night I rode on a pretty bad road in the back of teh city park in Winterset Iowa.  I did not SEE the movie "Bridges of Madison county"  but I BELIEVE that the bridge in the City park was in it, and MAYBE the stone tower! (I need to SEE it to find out!)  I rode to the tower, which is a mile or two back in the woods on a fairly bad road, and with the Primo Comet tires it worked quite well.  these are NOT grippy off road tires, but slick tread street tires. I had no difficulty climbing steep slopes and descending either one.

          By the way, IF ANYONE is coming through Iowa, It is WELL worth your while to check this out!  Winterset is a nice little town, and the City Park is particularly nice for a small town!

          mark

          Juergen Weichert wrote:

          > Sounds like ou are having a great time! :-)
          > WideLoaders are awesome.
          >
          > Just remember it is easy to "catch" your heel when starting off. Get on
          > your bike with the WideLoaders and with one foot on the ground just move
          > forward slowly so that you can figure out at which point you catch your
          > heel with the WL (if at all). Then you have to remember not to do
          > that......
          >
          > Juergen

          Mark  Garvey
          Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

          Check out the web site at:
          http://www.vine-ave.com

          contact us to have Papa Balloon appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

          I am a bicycling lifestylist!
        • Anne Littlebird
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 3, 2007
            So far I know of only one set of bollards on any of my routes - but then
            we don't have many bike paths! But I know what you are talking about.
            I'll need to make sure that I clear cars even farther though on that side.

            I loaded up the bike when I got home tonight so see how the folding
            table did without a long loader. It's a small wooden sewing table of my
            great grandmother's - about 100 years old, literally - that is actually
            lighter than those hard plastic topped folding tables. It's also fairly
            small. Well my heel clears the wideloader and the table by a good 6
            inches - there are some advantages to being small! It seems like it will
            work fine. The rest of the kit is just 2 rectangular grass baskets with
            the herb stuff and a small cooler for lunch etc. It's supposed to be 90
            degrees here - WAY above normal so I need to keep lunch cool.

            I'll borrow a chair from the office when I get there. The only folding
            stool I have is my keyboard/harp stool and it's heavy. I looked for a
            small hiking stool this past weekend but no one had one. Typical...

            --
            Anne Littlebird
            Issumatuq Herbals