Getting ready to roll

  • Anne Littlebird
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 3, 2007
      Well my first wideloader came Monday so I can get my stuff to the art
      fair on Friday. I'm going to do a trial pack tonight to see how it's all
      going to work. I'll get pictures this weekend and post them. That is if
      I survive the rest of the work week.

      The scoop on the street is that I'm trying to show up everyone at work
      by riding the bike. OK so that lightened my day yesterday. I picked
      myself up off the floor and just shook my head. That was after one
      person asked if I was going to do my "woo woo dance" to make sure it
      didn't rain for the weekend and spoil the fair.

      Like Mark this is not only my transportation but also my work machine -
      ultimately I'll be on the reservation/reserve working and since there
      are so many unimproved roads I'm hoping that this will be easier for me
      to get herbs to the Elders who can't make it out to the clinic. Have X
      will travel. I might have to put my clipless pedals back on though once
      I get to that stage. My emergency bag and kit will do well - had a run
      out the other night when someone was having trouble breathing from a
      bronchial infection and needed help. No problems at all.

      If only I'd known how great this was going to be I'd not have waited
      this long. It's 7:15 am and before work I need to get to Staples and the
      post office, so it's time to fly!

      Annie
    • Juergen Weichert
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 3, 2007
        Sounds like ou are having a great time! :-)
        WideLoaders are awesome.

        Just remember it is easy to "catch" your heel when starting off. Get on
        your bike with the WideLoaders and with one foot on the ground just move
        forward slowly so that you can figure out at which point you catch your
        heel with the WL (if at all). Then you have to remember not to do that......

        Juergen

        Anne Littlebird wrote:

        > Well my first wideloader came Monday so I can get my stuff to the art
        > fair on Friday. I'm going to do a trial pack tonight to see how it's all
        > going to work. I'll get pictures this weekend and post them. That is if
        > I survive the rest of the work week.
        >
        > The scoop on the street is that I'm trying to show up everyone at work
        > by riding the bike. OK so that lightened my day yesterday. I picked
        > myself up off the floor and just shook my head. That was after one
        > person asked if I was going to do my "woo woo dance" to make sure it
        > didn't rain for the weekend and spoil the fair.
        >
        > Like Mark this is not only my transportation but also my work machine -
        > ultimately I'll be on the reservation/reserve working and since there
        > are so many unimproved roads I'm hoping that this will be easier for me
        > to get herbs to the Elders who can't make it out to the clinic. Have X
        > will travel. I might have to put my clipless pedals back on though once
        > I get to that stage. My emergency bag and kit will do well - had a run
        > out the other night when someone was having trouble breathing from a
        > bronchial infection and needed help. No problems at all.
        >
        > If only I'd known how great this was going to be I'd not have waited
        > this long. It's 7:15 am and before work I need to get to Staples and the
        > post office, so it's time to fly!
        >
        > Annie
        >
        > _
      • Anne Littlebird
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 3, 2007
          Yes and knowing me I'd catch my heel every time. Luckily I have small
          feet so I might be OK. :)

          Annie

          Juergen Weichert wrote:

          > Sounds like ou are having a great time! :-)
          > WideLoaders are awesome.
          >
          > Just remember it is easy to "catch" your heel when starting off. Get on
          > your bike with the WideLoaders and with one foot on the ground just move
          > forward slowly so that you can figure out at which point you catch your
          > heel with the WL (if at all). Then you have to remember not to do
          > that......
          >
          > Juergen

        • murray
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 3, 2007
            Remember to watch out for those bollards they put around bike paths and pedestrian areas to stop cars driving through. Some of them around here are only just wide enough to get through with two wideloaders on. I've clipped one with a wideloader before and buckled my back wheel when the impact shunted the bike sideways. Interestingly the wideloader didn't bend; it only had a small scuff mark, but the wheel was bent out of shape enough to make the tire rub the bike frame. I give them plenty of space now.
            I too have caught my heel when taking off before, as Juergen pointed out. You only have to do it a couple of times for the lesson to sink in. Nothing like a little pain to make the brain learn :-)

            Juergen Weichert wrote:

            > Sounds like ou are having a great time! :-)
            > WideLoaders are awesome.
            >
            > Just remember it is easy to "catch" your heel when starting off. Get on
            > your bike with the WideLoaders and with one foot on the ground just move
            > forward slowly so that you can figure out at which point you catch your
            > heel with the WL (if at all). Then you have to remember not to do
            > that......
            >
            > Juergen

          • Mark Garvey
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 3, 2007
              The catch you heel thing has caught me a time or two as well.  And REALLY watch the clearance to the wideloaders, they stick out there a ways!  You can go through a standard door but not at speed!

              On Monday night I rode on a pretty bad road in the back of teh city park in Winterset Iowa.  I did not SEE the movie "Bridges of Madison county"  but I BELIEVE that the bridge in the City park was in it, and MAYBE the stone tower! (I need to SEE it to find out!)  I rode to the tower, which is a mile or two back in the woods on a fairly bad road, and with the Primo Comet tires it worked quite well.  these are NOT grippy off road tires, but slick tread street tires. I had no difficulty climbing steep slopes and descending either one.

              By the way, IF ANYONE is coming through Iowa, It is WELL worth your while to check this out!  Winterset is a nice little town, and the City Park is particularly nice for a small town!

              mark

              Juergen Weichert wrote:

              > Sounds like ou are having a great time! :-)
              > WideLoaders are awesome.
              >
              > Just remember it is easy to "catch" your heel when starting off. Get on
              > your bike with the WideLoaders and with one foot on the ground just move
              > forward slowly so that you can figure out at which point you catch your
              > heel with the WL (if at all). Then you have to remember not to do
              > that......
              >
              > Juergen

              Mark  Garvey
              Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

              Check out the web site at:
              http://www.vine-ave.com

              contact us to have Papa Balloon appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

              I am a bicycling lifestylist!
            • Anne Littlebird
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 3, 2007
                So far I know of only one set of bollards on any of my routes - but then
                we don't have many bike paths! But I know what you are talking about.
                I'll need to make sure that I clear cars even farther though on that side.

                I loaded up the bike when I got home tonight so see how the folding
                table did without a long loader. It's a small wooden sewing table of my
                great grandmother's - about 100 years old, literally - that is actually
                lighter than those hard plastic topped folding tables. It's also fairly
                small. Well my heel clears the wideloader and the table by a good 6
                inches - there are some advantages to being small! It seems like it will
                work fine. The rest of the kit is just 2 rectangular grass baskets with
                the herb stuff and a small cooler for lunch etc. It's supposed to be 90
                degrees here - WAY above normal so I need to keep lunch cool.

                I'll borrow a chair from the office when I get there. The only folding
                stool I have is my keyboard/harp stool and it's heavy. I looked for a
                small hiking stool this past weekend but no one had one. Typical...

                --
                Anne Littlebird
                Issumatuq Herbals