Re: [rootsradicals] Global warming doesn't matter

  • Ryano
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
      Running out of oil is itself less of a danger than is our hoping that simply running out of oil will save us from having to consciously and actively do something about it - and you can quote me on that !

      Watch this: http://www.abc.net.au/science/crude/

      On 01/10/2007, Rainbow Flight < kitesfun@...> wrote:

      Hi folks
      I just posted this on Morgan's blog:

      Hi
      I agree, climate change will matter longterm...
      Peak oil/gas/soil/food/water/coal/uranium/phosphorous/ etc is here already of will be very soon due to exponential growth. Check out the "Arithmetic, Population & Energy" lecture by Dr Albert Bartlett at:
      http://globalpublicmedia.com/ dr_...tion_and_energy

      This is not a humanity, human nature, or species problem...as much as it's the dominant culture we wake up to find ourselves in. For a really good intro to starting to understand this and move in a different direction (ie move or die-off!)watch the new doco "What A Way To Go" that you can purchase at:  http://www.whatawaytogomovie.com...urchase-the- dvd

      We are in a "peak everything" event. Create networks of support across your communities, grow food, get on your bikes, power-down and promote the use of family planning!

      "Interesting Times" have now become "Exciting Times"....!!!

      Regards
      Ted

    • Mighk Wilson
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
        >> Running out of oil is itself less of a danger than is our hoping that
        simply running out of oil will save us from having to consciously and
        actively do something about it<<

        It's important to understand we're not "running out of oil." "Peak Oil"
        means we have used up roughly half of the world's oil. What it means is
        we've run out of CHEAP oil. The first half of the oil you pull out of
        the ground is the "sweet" stuff that comes up easily. The second half
        is harder to get and of poorer quality, so it takes more energy to get
        it and to refine it into useful fuels. "Peak" also means that
        production will start declining and that exporting nations will export
        less as their own consumption increases. This is happening while global
        oil consumption is rising at about 2% a year. Get ready for gasoline at
        $4, $5, $6 a gallon in a few years.

        To be effective, countermeasures should have been implemented 20 years
        ago. Starting today is I'm afraid too little too late.

        Check out this quote; both the source and the year!

        "Today the automobile is the most uneconomical user of energy. Its
        efficiency is 5% compared with 23% for the Diesel-electric railway. It
        is the most ravenous devourer of fossil fuels, accounting for over half
        of the total oil consumption in this country. And the oil we use in the
        United States in one year took nature about 14 million years to create.
        Curiously, the automobile, which is the greatest single cause of the
        rapid exhaustion of oil reserves, may eventually be the first fuel
        consumer to suffer. Reduction in automotive use would necessitate an
        extraordinarily costly reorganization of the pattern of living in
        industrialized nations, particularly in the United States. It would
        seem prudent to bear this in mind in future planning of cities and
        industrial locations."
        -- Admiral Hyman Rickover, US Navy and US Atomic Energy Commission,
        1957

        Mighk

        "Grab that last bottle full of gasoline
        Light a toast to yesterday"