Global warming doesn't matter

  • Morgan
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2007
      Hi All,
      Being who you are, I thought you might be interested in my blog post on "Why global
      warming doesn't matter".

      http://alifelikewater.org/blogtheriver/blogtheriver.html

      It relates to the need to wean ourselves from oil, and quick, but not because of global
      warming.

      BTW - I think I come off as being an overly serious person on this list, which I'm not in real
      life. I do have my serious moments, and that's usually when I tend to post. But a lot of the
      time I'm much less serious and try to enjoy life. I agree with Mark's statement about the
      health benefits of a positive attitude. While I can't control what happens in the world, I can
      control my attitude towards it, and at least do something positive for my health and that of
      others around me. So, get out and ride!

      Morgan G
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 30, 2007
        Frankly, global warming and peak oil are combining with human population
        and consumption to create the perfect storm. It's all happening right
        now. It becomes especially scary when you begin realize just how much
        humanity has overshot its carrying capacity (e.g. our modern
        agricultural system is unsustainable: increasingly dependent on oil and
        a stable climate as it increasingly erodes our top soil and depletes our
        aquifers). I find it all extremely serious and depressing.

        So glad we can have so much fun mitigating the effects global warming
        and peak oil by riding our bikes! (and maybe this even helps with the
        depletion of top soil and aquifers...) As we ride our bikes, we better
        understand just how much oil has shaped our world and better appreciate
        the occasional free ride in the car or on a motorbike.

        CL

        Morgan wrote:
        > Hi All,
        > Being who you are, I thought you might be interested in my blog post on "Why global
        > warming doesn't matter".
        >
        > http://alifelikewater.org/blogtheriver/blogtheriver.html
        >
        > It relates to the need to wean ourselves from oil, and quick, but not because of global
        > warming.
      • Mark Garvey
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 30, 2007
          On 9/30/07, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:

          So glad we can have so much fun mitigating the effects global warming
          and peak oil by riding our bikes!.....snip....... As we ride our bikes, we better
          understand just how much oil has shaped our world and better appreciate
          the occasional free ride in the car or on a motorbike.

          OK, I snipped a lot, not because of disagreement, but because I BELIEVE that the pertinent point is not, as morgan points out, "Global Warming" particularly.  In all honesty I believe that riding a bike for personal daily transportation is simply the BEST SOLUTION in many cases.  If not MOST cases.  This has nothing to do with whether Global warming "exists" or not.  No more than the idea that fitness exists or not. For ME at least, it simply isn't the point.  It is a side issue.  At least to ME it is.  I ride my bike because I like it and it makes me feel good!  Also because it saves me money, and because of other peripheral issues.  To some people, the issues that to me are "side benefits" are the important ones.  And vice versa.  But it's all good!  After all In my essay on "Are bicycles liberal or conservative politically?" (in my booklet "Passing Gas")  I point out that from a CONSERVATIVE standpoint, a bicycle avoids the whole confiscatory tax and regulatory structure associated with a nanny state government intrusion into our private lives!    Some people may be riding bicycles because they are against the war, others may be riding because they are angry at the ever increasing cost of the tax structure and supporting organizations that contribute nothing of physical products.  (Insurance costs money, does not contribute any physical product and has one of the highest  profit margins in the country for any "product" possible!)

          I am assuming that MOST of you are "liberal" which is FINE, no argument from me.  But there are OTHER arguments as well.  I ride a bicycle because I am a cheap bastard and don't like paying insurance companies, loan companies (or banks or credit Unions) interest any more than I must.  I also don't like supporting the tax structure if I can get away with out it.  I am not "evading tax" I am simply not buying gas!

          It is quite possible that the Government will not mandate higher fuel economy standards because their income will decrease!  If you decrease the gas consumption by 20%  Tax revenue will decrease by 20% as well!  think on THAT one for a moment!  Who is going to be hurting THEN I wonder?

          Anyway, I sound overly serious.  to lighten it up, I am going to a program today to make balloon animals for kids.  My Xtracycle is my "Business truck" in that way.  I use it to transport and support my "show" when I am working.  It is a SUPER set up for it too.  I have been talking to people all over the Balloon HQ net about using a bicycle as a support vehicle for their "street" performances and as auxiliary transportation to their gigs.  Kipchoge Spencer dies it with the Ginger Ninjas, I do it with "Papa Balloon" and his magic show!

          We got something COOL here folks!
          mark
          "Papa Balloon"

          Mark  Garvey
          Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

          Check out the web site at:
          http://www.vine-ave.com

          contact us to have Papa Balloon appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

          I am a bicycling lifestylist!
        • Mighk Wilson
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30, 2007
            RE: [rootsradicals] Global warming doesn't matter

            Some of you may have seen an episode of NOVA on PBS earlier this year that explored how particulate matter (the sooty stuff we send into the atmosphere) is compensating somewhat for the carbon dioxide we're pouring into the atmosphere.  So we're not warming as quickly as we could be.  The real problem is that particulate matter washes out of the atmosphere pretty quickly, while CO2 takes centuries to be reabsorbed.  The worst effects of particulates seem to come from airliners, which deposit the stuff way up in the stratosphere.  This was shown after 9/11 when our skies were empty for a few days.  Since airliners are dependent on kerosene, which is derived from oil, air travel will be first to drop off due to increased price.

            A great resource on peak oil is http://www.theoildrum.com/ .

            Mighk Wilson

          • Rainbow Flight
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 30, 2007
              Hi folks
              I just posted this on Morgan's blog:

              Hi
              I agree, climate change will matter longterm...
              Peak oil/gas/soil/food/water/coal/uranium/phosphorous/ etc is here already of will be very soon due to exponential growth. Check out the "Arithmetic, Population & Energy" lecture by Dr Albert Bartlett at:
              http://globalpublicmedia.com/ dr_...tion_and_energy

              This is not a humanity, human nature, or species problem...as much as it's the dominant culture we wake up to find ourselves in. For a really good intro to starting to understand this and move in a different direction (ie move or die-off!)watch the new doco "What A Way To Go" that you can purchase at:  http://www.whatawaytogomovie.com...urchase-the- dvd

              We are in a "peak everything" event. Create networks of support across your communities, grow food, get on your bikes, power-down and promote the use of family planning!

              "Interesting Times" have now become "Exciting Times"....!!!

              Regards
              Ted

            • Ryano

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
                  >> Running out of oil is itself less of a danger than is our hoping that
                  simply running out of oil will save us from having to consciously and
                  actively do something about it<<

                  It's important to understand we're not "running out of oil." "Peak Oil"
                  means we have used up roughly half of the world's oil. What it means is
                  we've run out of CHEAP oil. The first half of the oil you pull out of
                  the ground is the "sweet" stuff that comes up easily. The second half
                  is harder to get and of poorer quality, so it takes more energy to get
                  it and to refine it into useful fuels. "Peak" also means that
                  production will start declining and that exporting nations will export
                  less as their own consumption increases. This is happening while global
                  oil consumption is rising at about 2% a year. Get ready for gasoline at
                  $4, $5, $6 a gallon in a few years.

                  To be effective, countermeasures should have been implemented 20 years
                  ago. Starting today is I'm afraid too little too late.

                  Check out this quote; both the source and the year!

                  "Today the automobile is the most uneconomical user of energy. Its
                  efficiency is 5% compared with 23% for the Diesel-electric railway. It
                  is the most ravenous devourer of fossil fuels, accounting for over half
                  of the total oil consumption in this country. And the oil we use in the
                  United States in one year took nature about 14 million years to create.
                  Curiously, the automobile, which is the greatest single cause of the
                  rapid exhaustion of oil reserves, may eventually be the first fuel
                  consumer to suffer. Reduction in automotive use would necessitate an
                  extraordinarily costly reorganization of the pattern of living in
                  industrialized nations, particularly in the United States. It would
                  seem prudent to bear this in mind in future planning of cities and
                  industrial locations."
                  -- Admiral Hyman Rickover, US Navy and US Atomic Energy Commission,
                  1957

                  Mighk

                  "Grab that last bottle full of gasoline
                  Light a toast to yesterday"