biking when sick

  • Morgan Scherer
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28 6:27 PM
      Hi all,

      My biggest frustration in biking as our family mode of transpotation is what to do when we are sick (cold, flu, etc...). Mostly I use Xena (our Xtra) to get myself and our kids where we need to go. However, when even one of us is sick, it gets much more complicated. Mostly at that point we end up using the car, which really bums me out. We can't stay home all the time when we are sick! For one thing, I would go completely bonkers!

      Does anyone have any words of wisdom or creative ways you have dealt with being sick and still biking?

      All four of us in my family have been sick for several days now, and if we're not better by Sun we'll miss a 30 mile ride I was really looking forward to. Grrrrrr. Biking with the fam is my biggest stress reducer and mental health inducer. When I miss it for too long I become a depressed and mean mama!

      Thanks for whatever input you can provide!

      Enjoy the weekend,
      Morgan Scherer
    • Mark Garvey
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 28 7:05 PM
        WOAH!  hang on there  M!!  Why let the use of a car bum you out?  that is what cars are FOR!  I use a car on days I don't feel well, or when the weather is JUST TOO CRAPPY to ride a bike!  If I am running late, I usually can take my motorcycle.

        Something I figured out. If you start DEMANDING that you are car free, soon you will begin to resent it.  Take a day off now and then!  You will enjoy your rides MORE that way.  If you have the option you can always say, "Well, I COULD drive the car today, but my OPTION is to ride my bike because I LIKE to. If I was not in a bike mood, I would take the car!  But I am not, so I won't!"  I generally take one day every week or so and ride my motorcycle or drive the car.  Depending on how I feel!  I used to get all uptight about "failing my car free lifestyle" but my wife basically kicked me and said "Grow up!  Drive the car if you need to!  It isn't a LAW that you ride a bike every single day!!!  what are you trying to prove anyway?"

        She is a font of knowledge!  No wonder I have been married to her for 32 years!

        mark

        On 28 Sep 2007 18:27:00 -0700, Morgan Scherer < morganes@...> wrote:
[...]

        Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

        Check out the web site at:
        http://www.vine-ave.com

        contact us to have Papa Balloon appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

        I am a bicycling lifestylist!
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 28 7:34 PM
          On 2007-09-28, at 9:27 PM, Morgan Scherer wrote:
          > Does anyone have any words of wisdom or creative ways you have
          > dealt with being sick and still biking?

          I've done it three times, twice on purpose, once accidentally.

          Rule #1: stay hydrated, watch your electrolyte.
          Rule #2: take it easy.

          Once I had some long-running upper respiratory thing, while my car
          was in the shop, and it got colder and wetter on into November (this
          was in Silicon Valley, so not THAT cold, not THAT wet.

          Another time, in the winter, I came down with a stomach flu, didn't
          know it while I was riding home, and got really dehydrated and felt
          terrible.

          The most recent time, a stomach bug hit while I was at work --
          without going into detail, it was a quick one, so I weathered the
          worst of it, and rode home. Felt terrible and slow, till I stopped
          and got a bottle of gatorade, which was a tremendous help. I took it
          easy, and got home fine (10 mile ride).

          But really, take it easy, and I would not ride more than necessary.
          Can you do a less-than-30 mile ride Sunday?

          David
        • Anne Littlebird
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 29 7:56 AM
            David's very correct - hydration (Water) and electrolytes are very
            important. Hydration does not mean pop however - soft drinks screw up
            your electrolytes BIG time so don't think you will be OK if you sit and
            drink Coke all day.

            Gatorade is OK although not MY beverage of choice as an herbalist. Too
            much sugar. Pedialyte is actually better or the Kroger brand equivalent.
            Yes even for adults - or packets of EmergenC which is available at most
            health food stores. Use whatever you like - just do it. About this time
            of year I load up on echinacea and other antivirals. Right now I'm the
            only well person in my department and I intend to stay that way. Didn't
            get sick last year and will try to avoid it again this year.

            It's harder when the kids are sick but exercise can actually be good for
            you. And fresh air during a cold is better then closed in stale air.

            Nothing's better than pure rest though - if you are really sick then
            curl up and wait it out.

            Annie

            --
            Anne Littlebird
            Issumatuq Herbals
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 29 1:49 PM
              On 9/29/07, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...> wrote:
              Right now I'm the
              only well person in my department and I intend to stay that way. Didn't
              get sick last year and will try to avoid it again this year.

              Funny, I ride my bicycle nearly every day.  I take my basic meds, and I take a multi vitamin, a 1000 C and Gucosomine.   Back when I worked at the hospital I was tasked to push the basic message on good heath,  I have four basic steps. 1) eat a good balanced diet, 2) exercise, 3) cleanliness (hand washing!) and 4) positive attitude (self esteem, not the junk variety, but genuinely feeling that you are WORTH something!  a Positive mental attitude is a BIG thing)

              I have followed this fairly carefully for many years.  and beyond the occasional Kidney stone attack, and my heart surgery last year and various injuries, I have not had a sick day for at least 6 or 7 years.

              mark