Great News, SUV enthusiasts!
- Daimler Chrysler is going to offer a vehicle to the public that is
5000 pounds heavier than a Hummer and 8000 pounds heavier than a Jeep
Some highlights from the article (New York Times Business Page, Feb.
- At 9'7", it's only three inches shorter than the cab of an 18
wheeler. In fact, it's made a company that builds such tractors!
- 12,500 pounds. (26,000 with maximum payload).
- Excerpt from the brochure: "Wanting to conquer the great outdoors
is simply no a good reason to give up leather and air-conditioning."
How true. How true.
- In a former marketing incarnation, this vehicle was a military
- Economical! Gets 10 miles per diesel gallon.
- The "Unimog" is exempt from most federal safety, air pollution and
fuel economy regulations, because it exceeds the weight cutoffs for
- Also exceeds the weight limits of many roads and bridges in older
parts of the country like New York State.
Keep riding; it will take a lot of cyclists to balance out those new