Dumb or Weird Questions About X

  • Mighk Wilson
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 18, 2007
      Dumb or Weird Questions About X

      So what kind of dumb or just plain strange questions and comments have my fellow Xers been hearing from the curious masses?

      First one for me: "Looks pretty lightweight; how much does it weigh?"

      Like it matters when you're hauling 40 lbs of groceries...

      Mighk

    • Mark Garvey
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 18, 2007
        I got, "Is that thing STABLE?" from a guy who has a streamliner that weaves side to side as he pedals it laying absolutely flat.  I handed it to him and said, "Take a check ride!"  He was impressed!  It had about 20-25 lbs of stuff in the FRs at the time.  though the most OFTEN heard question is "Where can i get one of those?"   I hand them a propaganda sheet!

        mark

        On 9/18/07, Mighk Wilson <mwilson@...> wrote:

        So what kind of dumb or just plain strange questions and comments have my fellow Xers been hearing from the curious masses?

        First one for me: "Looks pretty lightweight; how much does it weigh?"

        Like it matters when you're hauling 40 lbs of groceries...

        Mighk

        Mark  Garvey
        Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

        Check out the web site at:
        http://www.vine-ave.com

        contact us to have Papa Balloon appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

        I am a bicycling lifestylist!
      • murray

          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 19, 2007
            The usual comments from the "great unwashed" are

            * "Is that a skateboard on the back?" (or some variation thereof)
            * "What do you use that for?".
            * "Giz a dink ya b@stard!" (translation: Can I get a ride on the back Sir)
            * "Why don't you just get a car?" (Usually when loading the bike to the gunnel's at the stupormarket or the hardware.)
            * "That'd be great for touring & camping"

            Amongst fellow riders it's usually

            * "How does it handle"
            * "Did you build that yourself?"
            * "How much can you carry"

            Pete.B

            ---- Mighk Wilson <mwilson@...> wrote:
            > So what kind of dumb or just plain strange questions and comments have my fellow Xers been hearing from the curious masses?
            >
            > First one for me: "Looks pretty lightweight; how much does it weigh?"
            >
            > Like it matters when you're hauling 40 lbs of groceries...
            >
            > Mighk
          • Anne Littlebird
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 19, 2007
              So far not many:

              1. What is it?
              2. Is that a custom bike you had built?
              3. Don't you think it would be easier to get a car?
              4. You really should paint your bike black to match; it would look better.
              5. How do you ride that thing?

              And from work:

              1. How many bikes do you have anyway? 2 (the person asking this has 3
              cars and 1 motorcycle)
              2. How are you going to get to work when the weather's bad? Bike or walk
              since you won't let me flex my time by 15 mins to catch the bus home on
              bad days.

              Anne
            • Mighk Wilson
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 19, 2007
                Mark said:
                >> I hand them a propaganda sheet! <<

                Is that propaganda sheet something you developed? And could you share it
                with the group?

                Mighk
              • Mark Garvey
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 19, 2007
                  NO, it is the 11 questions bit that X sends out.  but now that you mention it, I should develop a propaganda sheet. I will start working on it!

                   OK, I am sorry, but I am just wildly nutty over this silly thing!  at 54 you would think that I would be mature enough to moderate my enthusiasm a bit, but NO!  this thing ROCKS!  It is more stable, it is more comfortable, and it is 10 TIMES more convenient than a bicycle!  It is FUN too!  How can something this SIMPLE change the way you view life itself!  yeah yeah, it isn't THAT good, at least not QUITE!   but it is close!  I am constantly LOOKING for ways to use it!  today I picked up a couple of partial sheets of "coroplast" from work and brought them home on the Xtracycle with ZERO problems. I had to keep checking that it was still back there!  I am constantly amazed how much stuff can be carried with no problem or thought of the mechanics!  I have had to figure things out a bit, but it has never been more than a few moments of "Lemme see, if I strap it THIS way......."  I am WAY past impressed with the Xtracycle!

                  mark

                  On 9/19/07, Mighk Wilson <mwilson@...> wrote:
                  Mark said:
                  >> I hand them a propaganda sheet! <<

                  Is that propaganda sheet something you developed? And could you share it
                  with the group?

                  Mighk

                  ride to believe.
                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      mailto: rootsradicals-digest@yahoogroups.com

                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • TheJonesgal@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 19, 2007
                    Besides the usual questions others have mentioned, I've been told "You look like a bag lady."

                        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/rootsradic als/

                        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/rootsradic als/join

                        mailto:rootsradicals- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 19, 2007
                      Mark I feel the same way. I wish I'd found this sooner - I'd probably be
                      car free long before now.

                      A lot of the people have seemed surprised that it's easy to handle. I
                      can even ride hands off handle bars. Not something I usually do but I
                      was curious if I could do and yes it's just as easy as pre X.

                      I am going to get at least one wide loader. It's not a pressing need but
                      I can see it's uses down the road.

                      Annie

                      Mark Garvey wrote:

                      > NO, it is the 11 questions bit that X sends out. but now that you
                      > mention it, I should develop a propaganda sheet. I will start working
                      > on it!
                      >
                      > OK, I am sorry, but I am just wildly nutty over this silly thing! at
                      > 54 you would think that I would be mature enough to moderate my
                      > enthusiasm a bit, but NO! this thing ROCKS! It is more stable, it is
                      > more comfortable, and it is 10 TIMES more convenient than a bicycle!
                      > It is FUN too! How can something this SIMPLE change the way you view
                      > life itself! yeah yeah, it isn't THAT good, at least not QUITE! but
                      > it is close! I am constantly LOOKING for ways to use it! today I
                      > picked up a couple of partial sheets of "coroplast" from work and
                      > brought them home on the Xtracycle with ZERO problems. I had to keep
                      > checking that it was still back there! I am constantly amazed how
                      > much stuff can be carried with no problem or thought of the
                      > mechanics! I have had to figure things out a bit, but it has never
                      > been more than a few moments of "Lemme see, if I strap it THIS
                      > way......." I am WAY past impressed with the Xtracycle!
                      >
                      > mark
                      >

                      > On 9/19/07, *Mighk Wilson* <mwilson@...
                      > <mailto:mwilson@...>> wrote:
                      >
                      > Mark said:
                      > >> I hand them a propaganda sheet! <<
                      >
                      > Is that propaganda sheet something you developed? And could you
                      > share it
                      > with the group?
                      >
                      > Mighk
                      >

                      > You're getting this message because you signed up to be an
                      > Xtracycle roots radical.

                      > to: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>
                      >

                      > ride to believe.
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      >

                      > (Yahoo! ID required)
                      >
                      > mailto:rootsradicals-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:rootsradicals-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com>
                      >

                      > --
                      > Putting the fun in dysfunctional for over 50 years!
                      >

                      > Mark Garvey
                      > Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!
                      >
                      > Check out the web site at:
                      > http://www.vine-ave.com <http://www.vine-ave.com>
                      >
                      > contact us to have Papa Balloon appear at your next program! Details
                      > at www.vine-ave.com <http://www.vine-ave.com>
                      >
                      > I am a bicycling lifestylist!

                      --
                      Anne Littlebird
                      Issumatuq Herbals
                      P.O. Box 5161
                      Louisville, KY 40255
                      502-418-1023
                    • Mark Garvey
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 19, 2007
                        On 9/19/07, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...> wrote:
                        Mark I feel the same way. I wish I'd found this sooner - I'd probably be
                        car free long before now.

                        A lot of the people have seemed surprised that it's easy to handle. I
                        can even ride hands off handle bars. Not something I usually do but I
                        was curious if I could do and yes it's just as easy as pre X.

                        I am going to get at least one wide loader. It's not a pressing need but
                        I  can see it's uses down the road.

                        Annie
                        I went whole hog and got two wide loaders, a set of fenders and a long loader.  tomorrow I plan to ship my Trike to a friend in Washington state, and maybe the Zox low racer back to my friend in West Virginia.  Or maybe I will do that friday or Sat.  I will try to take a photo of the bike box on the wideloader!

                        mark

                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 19, 2007

                          Mark,

                                      You mentioned you picked up a couple of partial sheets of “coroplast.” I presume by coroplast you mean that corrugated plastic stuff. In any case, do corroplast sheets normally come in 4x8’ sizes? I know you said you had partial sheets, so I am just wondering what sizes of the sheeting you managed to carry.

                                      The reason I ask is because in my years of experience with my Xtracycle when it comes to “sheets” of material I have only managed to carry 4x8’ sheets if they are cut down the middle into two pieces of 2x8 sheets. Generally when I carried “sheeting” it was lumber of some sort, usually MDF or a plywood, etc. Basically I am just curious as to how you managed to carry “sheets” of any material if the dimensions were larger than 2x3’.

                          _TONE_

                        • Jeff Youngstrom
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 19, 2007
                            On 9/19/07, Tone <Tone@...> wrote:

                                        The reason I ask is because in my years of experience with my Xtracycle when it comes to "sheets" of material I have only managed to carry 4x8' sheets if they are cut down the middle into

                            I've carried thin plywood and some masonite pegboard in full 4x8 pieces.
                            Here are pictures:
                            plywood: http://flickr.com/photos/jeffyoungstrom/393271368/in/set-515126/
                            pegboard: http://flickr.com/photos/jeffyoungstrom/473359130/in/set-515126/
                            http://flickr.com/photos/jeffyoungstrom/473359104/in/set-515126/

                            I just centered it on the wideloader/longloader and put a couple of long straps around the 4-foot dimension.

                            I didn't go very far with this setup, about a mile I guess. Could have, though. Barring high cross winds!

                            jeffy

                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 19, 2007

                              Jeffy,

                                          If carrying 4x8’ sheets were to be carried on an Xtracycle, then that would naturally be the way to do it. J That is basically how I carried the split 4x8 to 2x8 sheets.

                                          In the past when I have carried sheets of lumber, it was always when I lived back in Brooklyn or NYC and almost always involved a longer distance than a mile. I usually try to push my hauling capacity, but I suppose I felt carrying full uncut sheets of lumber was too dangerous with all the traffic, restriction to visibility & movement, and possible wind gusts.

                                          I might consider a full sheet of lumber on the Xtracycle if I or someone were to retrofit a slide-in sheet-rack, which would keep up to 4x8’ sheets of any material in a vertical standing rigid position and far enough away to not interfere with sitting in the seat and maneuvering the bike. Considering that might unbalance the whole bike, maybe even some sort of forward adjustable counter-balance low to the ground might be in order depending on the amount of load in the rear.

                              _TONE_

                            • Mark Garvey
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 19, 2007
                                Sorry, the sheets were rather smaller, maybe 4 x 4 and I cheated by folding them along the corrugations then sticking them in the freeloaders.  If I had had my wideloaders and long loader attached, I could have easily carried them in their original form, but as it was, I needed small pieces later so I simply folded them and stuck them in then ran the slackers over the top and cinched them down a bit.  I also had my walking sandals, my hat, a clipboard with my book that I am scribbling on and my "murse" (My daughter calls it my "man purse" or "murse" with my daily stuff in it so that I don't have to keep it all in my pockets!

                                And yes this is the fluted plastic stuff.  It is known as Coroplast or Coroflute, depending on who makes it and what country it is in.  I make "useful stuff" out of it including a couple of nice boxes to fit on the back of my recumbent bikes and trikes.  They are pretty good ways of carrying small things.  Or were until I got the Xtracycle. The one advantage was that I had a massive area on the back and sides to mount reflective tape.  I plan to make a small wind break for cold weather, and or (possibly!) a rain top.  don't exactly know for sure, but I am working on a couple of ideas!

                                Last weekend at the HPRA races, there were several very fast bikes with coroplast fairings.  It is pretty obvious that they are home made in some cases, but they were effective and light....also cheap....like me!

                                mark

                                On 9/19/07, Tone <Tone@...> wrote:

[...]

                              • Morgan
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 20, 2007
                                  Mark, I'm the same way, see my most recent blog post "Xtracycle is cool " (http://www.alifelikewater.org/blogtheriver/blogtheriver.html).
                                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...> wrote: >> > OK, I am sorry, but I am just wildly nutty over this silly thing! at 54 > you would think that I would be mature enough to moderate my enthusiasm a > bit, but NO! this thing ROCKS! [snip]Morgan G
                                • Ken Ismert
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 22, 2007
                                    Morgan,

                                    You should get your blog mentioned on the Xtracyle blogroll:

                                    http://xtracycle.com/blog/

                                    -Ken

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 3, 2007
                                      Mark Garvey wrote:
                                      > NO, it is the 11 questions bit that X sends out. but now that
                                      > you mention it, I should develop a propaganda sheet. I will
                                      > start working on it!

                                      Mark,

                                      How are you coming on your propaganda sheet? :)

                                      BTW, I can't find the 11 questions bit on the Xtracycle site. Do you
                                      have a link or a document you could share?

                                      Thanks,

                                      -Ken
                                    • Mark Garvey
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 3, 2007
                                        OK, hang on Ken, I will try to find a copy and either send it to you or copy it here.  I have not done much because between illnesses in teh family (my son in law's father may well be dying,  Not to be dramatic really, but he is very ill!  Not fun!)  Several people have ugly virusses (Viri?) including the youngest members (1 year old grand daughter) and my work has been having me go in at 3 AM 2-3 times a week!  yuk!

                                        but I WILL get on it!

                                        mark

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 3, 2007
                                          I couldn't find the text online anywhere, so for posterity, here are the 11 answers in the little cards that ship with the freerad. The one I'm copying has been in the mesh pocket of my freeloader for a year in all weather and it's getting hard to make some of it out:

                                          Front outside of folded card:
                                          eleven answers (feel the flavor of the freedom)

                                          Inside:

                                          It's called an Xtracycle S.U.B.
                                          The world's first Sport Utility Bicycle.
                                          - For car(e)-free shopping trips, cruising with a friend on board, bike camping...basically it enables you [to] have more fun in town or out
                                          - In many conditions it actually handles better; length=stability!
                                          - It's an attachment -- the FreeRadical(tm) -- that converts most any bike
                                          - Definitely: though now regarded as the ultimate urban grocery getter, it was inspired by nicaraguan singletrack and excels at off-road touring
                                          - Light! As little as 5lbs yet totes as much as you'd ever want (see reverse)
                                          - Any bike shop can attach it; yes, long cables and chain are included
                                          - Less than you think, starts at about $189
                                          - Online, over the phone, or from your favorite local bike shop
                                          - Yes, but you won't want to
                                          - Yeah, it'll change your life, but you'll have to ride to believe.

                                          Then it's got a little place to fill in your own name, telephone and email so people can call you and get more info. Also has the xtracycle logo, www.xtracycle.com, 1-888-537-1401.

                                          The back side has the word "carry" in a lozenge with a background of lots of things that could be carried:

                                          guitars vin et fromage <something something>
                                          your masseuse the baker and his <something> picasso's
                                          welding equipment backpacks brief cases bowzer
                                          sleeping bags everyone's gear top secret documents
                                          tents computers massage table potluck stuff
                                          fish tanks groceries hardware lots of coffee long boards
                                          longboards backboards snowboards kickboards skate
                                          the whole kit and caboodle britannica kids
                                          pies ( carry ) work clothes suitcases
                                          tofu              super juicy organic carrots
                                          water           kayaks very large burritos
                                          parts for your unreliable, expensive car
                                          on a conversation with your homie, that weight
                                          beer coolers pre-schoolers chansaws grandmas
                                          dive gear cellos bananas records wetsuits kegs
                                          TVs to the dump 2-3 hobbits Queen Elizabeth
                                          <something> lover, two if you're lucky dreams

                                        • murray

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Oct 3, 2007
                                              One thing that I also carry around with me is a laminated copy of state vehicle code regarding bicycles.  A lot of questions come up about what is legal and what is not while riding a bicycle, so all I have to do is show them the legal wording, translate it, and most people see I'm not some outlaw causing terror, nor am I risking my neck just to ride.  Also, I have been able to enlighten a few sworn officers about certain parts of the vehicle code they were not familiar with.

                                              A good resource is:
                                              http://www.massbike.org/bikelaw/bikelaw.htm

                                              Look up your state, copy the laws, paste onto a word processing program, and shrink it down to index card size.  You can laminate and carry in a stem pouch or in your pocket, quite easy for quick reference.  You will also want to look up any local statutes just in case you need to include those as well.

                                              Beth

                                            • Ken Ismert
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Oct 4, 2007
                                                Mark,

                                                Best wishes for your family! Hope they get out of the woods soon.

                                                wrote:

                                                > I have not done much because between illnesses in the
                                                > family ...
                                              • Mark Garvey
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Oct 4, 2007
                                                  Yeah, not to be overly morbid here, but Josh's   (my youngest daughter's husband) Father became suddenly ill a few days ago and it has become a systemic infection and he is being treated for systemic shock.  Evidently his body has pretty much shut down.  We are "somewhat concerned" and Mindi and Josh have been at the hospital for about 3 solid days, going home to bathe and sleep some.  Don is a pretty good guy too!

                                                  Other than that it is mostly simply the kids getting a virus, my middle daughter got some sort of really infectious parasite (???? ick!) which they are worried that Rob (they will be married in November) and his 4 year old will get THAT, so far we fine, but things have been a little bit wierd lately!

                                                  Ah well, went and got the Hockey tickets for sat nite..  And a t shirt for the team!  YAY!

                                                  I wil get on my ideas for questions and answers here soon!

                                                  mark

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Oct 4, 2007
                                                    Here's a link to the UK version from LoadsBetter

                                                    http://www.detnot.com/loadsbetter/php/myCMS/web/loadsbetter/pdf/propaganda.pdf

                                                    Rgds
                                                    Pete.B

                                                  • loadsbetter
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Oct 5, 2007
                                                      Hi,

                                                      If anybody wants me to then I could do a US version too, or maybe
                                                      an English language version that doesn't have any prices or
                                                      telephone numbers or addresses - just www.xtracycle.com.

                                                      Or is there a PDF version of the original
                                                      eleven answers that Xtracycle could put on the xtracycle.com?

                                                      But I think this answer

                                                      less than you think, starts at about 189

                                                      should be changed to

                                                      less than you think, starts at about 244

                                                      shouldn't it? 244's the USD price for the build your own base frame +
                                                      install kit.

                                                      Cheers.

                                                      Mark

                                                      Loads Better
                                                      www.thisisloadsbetter.co.uk
                                                    • stanstephenson67
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Oct 6, 2007
                                                      • loadsbetter
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Oct 6, 2007
                                                          Hi,

                                                          Here's my latest effort, which isn't UK-specific this time.

                                                          http://www.detnot.com/loadsbetter/php/myCMS/web/loadsbetter/pdf/propaga
                                                          ndatoo.pdf

                                                          I hope it helps.

                                                          Cheers.