Re: [rootsradicals] Re: blenders

  • TheJonesgal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 15, 2006
      I love it! How to belend bicycling.
      I really want to know how the blender works in real life.
      I've got the xtracycle and the down low glow. My coworkers will go nuts if I added a blender!
      Gerry South of Seattle

      Message 2 of 20 , May 20, 2007
        Folks,

        I'm about to order my DLG for my newly free-radicalled bike (still in
        the shop). I can't decide between single or dual tube. I'm on the
        east coast in a very car-centric city - very aggressive drivers. Any
        thoughts?

        Paula
      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 20 , May 20, 2007
          Maybe you need DLG, Hokey spokes, the flag that sticks out and the flag
          that sticks up, a velomobile shell, day-glow orange clothing, blinkies
          blinkies blinkies blinkies, and a huge blow-up teletubby riding the
          snap-deck...

          I suppose you saw the photo of the woman who rigged her bike with
          Christmas tree lights? It's on one of those DIY websites.

          Sorry. I know all about car-centered aggressive drivers and there's not
          a whole lot you can do except get a car bigger than their cars. Guess
          that explains all the hummers out there.

          I think too many people are watching all the Dukes-of-Hazard Spin-offs
          and other bang-em-up, crash-em-up, blow-em-up movies. Well, there was
          one time when I found 'True Lies' a real stress reliever.

          CL

          paulamcconnellbks wrote:
          > Folks,
          >
          > I'm about to order my DLG for my newly free-radicalled bike (still in
          > the shop). I can't decide between single or dual tube. I'm on the
          > east coast in a very car-centric city - very aggressive drivers. Any
          > thoughts?
          >
          > Paula
        • M.E. Martin
          Message 4 of 20 , May 21, 2007
            Hey Paula,

            I'd go with dual, assuming the money is there. Here in Baton Rouge car is
            king to the point that we're truly car sick and getting worse.

            However, when the local motor vehicle operators are given warning by way of
            a well-lit bicycle they tend to behave better, on the whole. There's always
            that 2 - 5% who are too drunk, too self-centered, or too angry to expect
            much of other than bad behavior; please don't rely too much on the lights.

            Besides, floating in a larger pool of cool, cool light - who can have enough
            of that?

            Mark in BRLA

            >From: "paulamcconnellbks" <paulamcconnellbks@...>
            >To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [rootsradicals] Down Low Glow
            >Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 01:15:10 -0000
            >
            >Folks,
            >
            >I'm about to order my DLG for my newly free-radicalled bike (still in
            >the shop). I can't decide between single or dual tube. I'm on the
            >east coast in a very car-centric city - very aggressive drivers. Any
            >thoughts?
            >
            >Paula

            Live Hotmail.
          • Amos Patrick
            Message 5 of 20 , May 21, 2007
              Christmas lights on a bike!!? That sounds pretty cool. Does anybody
              know the link to the website?
              -Amos
              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
              wrote:

              > Maybe you need DLG, Hokey spokes, the flag that sticks out and the flag
              > that sticks up, a velomobile shell, day-glow orange clothing, blinkies
              > blinkies blinkies blinkies, and a huge blow-up teletubby riding the
              > snap-deck...
              >
              > I suppose you saw the photo of the woman who rigged her bike with
              > Christmas tree lights? It's on one of those DIY websites.
              >
              > Sorry. I know all about car-centered aggressive drivers and there's
              not
              > a whole lot you can do except get a car bigger than their cars. Guess
              > that explains all the hummers out there.
              >
              > I think too many people are watching all the Dukes-of-Hazard Spin-offs
              > and other bang-em-up, crash-em-up, blow-em-up movies. Well, there was
              > one time when I found 'True Lies' a real stress reliever.
              >
              > CL
              >
              > paulamcconnellbks wrote:
              > > Folks,
              > >
              > > I'm about to order my DLG for my newly free-radicalled bike (still in
              > > the shop). I can't decide between single or dual tube. I'm on the
              > > east coast in a very car-centric city - very aggressive drivers. Any
              > > thoughts?
              > >
              > > Paula

            • Philip.X.Diaz
              Message 6 of 20 , May 21, 2007
                a better option than x-mas lights is battery-powered electro-
                luminescent cord ("EL" wire). you can order it online at CoolNeon.com.

                it's super durable, cheap, low-powered, and can be sequenced to blink
                or make animations (just like regular neon signs), and is extremely
                popular for lighting bikes at Burning Man.

                it's not nearly as bright at the DLG though, so maybe do both!

                On May 21, 2007, at 7:16 AM, Amos Patrick wrote:

                > Christmas lights on a bike!!? That sounds pretty cool. Does anybody
                > know the link to the website?
                > -Amos
                > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
                > wrote:
                >>
                >> Maybe you need DLG, Hokey spokes, the flag that sticks out and the
                >> flag
                >> that sticks up, a velomobile shell, day-glow orange clothing,
                >> blinkies
                >> blinkies blinkies blinkies, and a huge blow-up teletubby riding the
                >> snap-deck...
                >>
                >> I suppose you saw the photo of the woman who rigged her bike with
                >> Christmas tree lights? It's on one of those DIY websites.
                >>
                >> Sorry. I know all about car-centered aggressive drivers and there's
                > not
                >> a whole lot you can do except get a car bigger than their cars.
                >> Guess
                >> that explains all the hummers out there.
                >>
                >> I think too many people are watching all the Dukes-of-Hazard Spin-
                >> offs
                >> and other bang-em-up, crash-em-up, blow-em-up movies. Well, there
                >> was
                >> one time when I found 'True Lies' a real stress reliever.
                >>
                >> CL
                >>
                >> paulamcconnellbks wrote:
                >>> Folks,
                >>>
                >>> I'm about to order my DLG for my newly free-radicalled bike
                >>> (still in
                >>> the shop). I can't decide between single or dual tube. I'm on the
                >>> east coast in a very car-centric city - very aggressive drivers.
                >>> Any
                >>> thoughts?
                >>>
                >>> Paula
                >>

                > You're getting this message because you signed up to be an
                > Xtracycle roots radical.

                > ride to believe.
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • J.P. Nelson
                Message 7 of 20 , May 21, 2007
                  For the aggressive drivers, I would also recommend a
                  good loud horn, as well as bell. If the cheery ding a
                  bell doesn't harken back to some happy day in
                  childhood, use a really loud bell- sound like a car if
                  you can. Like faking out a bear... go for the Airzound
                  horn. I wuold also really recommend backing the horn
                  up with a cheery wave and smile. We will never beat
                  them with anger and force, and they obviously have far
                  more critical mass than we do. We need to remember
                  that bikes are nice, and we should be to, the law
                  might be on our side, but physics is on theirs... I
                  used to carry a tube of Mentos with me while bike
                  communiting in LA. If someone seemed like they were
                  out to get me, I'd give 'em a smile and flash......
                  the Freshmaker!! If you can get them to smile back,
                  you've won, both this time and hopefully more in the
                  future.

                  ____________________________________________________________________________________Give spam the boot. Take control with tough spam protection in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                • Ian Hopper
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 22, 2007
                    Get the single tube if you want longer life, the double if you want more glow. Of course, you can get more batteries too... or you could wire up your own system ( I have a Blue 2 tube DLG on SuperVato (my Xtracycle/Stokemonkey bike), and a homebrew system on my burning man bike.) They both work equally well and are equally bright, but I spent about $30 on my homebrew version. You just have to be willing to tinker a little w/ the batteries, wires, etc. I usually get my materials from Electronics Plus in San Rafael, CA (if I can't wait: the prices there are STEEP) or at http://vibelights.com/ . The vibelights guys are also burners, so don't order around the end of august.

                    The DLG is great b/c it's turnkey and slick, but you pay the price. Paul's a great guy, and good rapper too. I bought his stuff b/c it's good and I like supporting him. He'd probably tell you though that the DLG isn't that hard to make, it's just labor intensive. Oh.. and I got mine used from another member here.

                    You can email me if you have questions and I'll do my best to help you out.

                    Ian
                  • Ian Hopper
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 22, 2007
                      That's it J.P, kill em with kindness. Works everytime, and the
                      angrier and more irate they get, the nicer and bigger you smile. You
                      can't win the race to the bottom, so race to the top! They end up
                      feeling more and more like an ass, and you feel better and better,
                      maybe even sorry for them. I have to keep reminding myself of this
                      when *I* start to get irate with the cagers....

                      Ian
                    • Cara Lin Bridgman
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 23, 2007
                        The bike with the Christmas tree lights is here:
                        <http://www.instructables.com/id/ES89UXYK1MEP287UQZ?ALLSTEPS>

                        I think I saw another link to that somewhere, or some discussion of it.
                        You can see in the first picture the battery pack zip-tied to the
                        axil. The lights are zip-tied on, too.

                        CL

                        Cara Lin Bridgman wrote:
                        > I suppose you saw the photo of the woman who rigged her bike with
                        > Christmas tree lights? It's on one of those DIY websites.
                      • Paul Freedman
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 23, 2007
                          More and more, I'm recommending new customers to go with the Single
                          Tube DLG for their bikes. There are exceptions to this rule, but the
                          main reasons are:

                          1. Single tube version is a very simple product. Putting it on takes
                          about 30 seconds. Dual tube version is closer to two minutes. Taking
                          it off is quick for both. This only applies if you're the type of
                          person who might take lights on and off your bike. (I just leave the
                          lights on and take the battery on and off.)

                          2. The battery life is better for commuters with busy lives. Battery
                          life is 5-6 hours on the single. The exception here is if you're the
                          type of person who's really on top of charging batteries OR if you
                          purchase a fast charger with your system, which makes battery charging
                          very convenient.

                          3. Brightness and safety. One might quickly conclude that the Single
                          tube system is half as bright because it has half as many light tubes.
                          And that therefore it provides half as much visibility. Well that's
                          true if one measures lumens, but when you consider the position and
                          the angle of the tubes, it's a little different. The single tube
                          system, mounted on the front triangle of your bicycle, is angled
                          forward/down. This is the tube that provides the amazing side
                          visibility that DLG owners love. It hits the side angles so that when
                          you're in an intersection, cars entering from different streets can
                          see you. Plus your peripheral vision while looking ahead includes the
                          light from this tube but not the rear tube. So while you're riding,
                          you really can't tell a difference. It's when you look down at your
                          own bike while riding that the dual tube system is noticeably
                          different. On a dual tube system, the rear tube does provide
                          additional side visibility. It does protect you, but it's not as
                          important as that front tube. And it doesn't really eliminate the need
                          for a rear-facing blinky, especially on an xtracycle, with the bags
                          and everything obscuring the direct visibility of the light in the
                          rear direction.

                          4. Party power. If you are interested in doing critical mass rides,
                          social rides, and cruiser rides, of the type posted at rockthebike.com
                          's rides and events section, then the dual tube system is great. Yes,
                          it offers more bling and a complete sweep of light from the front to
                          the rear of your bicycle. Here is where the dual tube system is
                          clearly better than the single.

                          However, a very cool option is to get get two complete single tube
                          systems, which puts you in position to have the uber glow on social
                          rides AND to share light with a friend on a sunset cruise you
                          organize. This way you can have beautiful cruises with your kids,
                          wife, husband, girlfriend, out of town guest, etc. When doing this,
                          please remember to choose two different colors, as the color fades
                          will be quite beautiful on the ground beneath you as you cruise...

                          I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can clear anything else up.
                          888-354-BIKE or paul at rock the bike dot com

                          Yours, Paul

                          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "M.E. Martin" <xibilba931@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Hey Paula,
                          >
                          > I'd go with dual, assuming the money is there. Here in Baton Rouge
                          car is
                          > king to the point that we're truly car sick and getting worse.
                          >
                          > However, when the local motor vehicle operators are given warning by
                          way of
                          > a well-lit bicycle they tend to behave better, on the whole. There's
                          always
                          > that 2 - 5% who are too drunk, too self-centered, or too angry to
                          expect
                          > much of other than bad behavior; please don't rely too much on the
                          lights.

                          > Besides, floating in a larger pool of cool, cool light - who can
                          have enough
                          > of that?
                          >
                          > Mark in BRLA
                          >
                          > >From: "paulamcconnellbks" <paulamcconnellbks@...>
                          > >To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                          > >Subject: [rootsradicals] Down Low Glow
                          > >Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 01:15:10 -0000
                          > >
                          > >Folks,
                          > >
                          > >I'm about to order my DLG for my newly free-radicalled bike (still in
                          > >the shop). I can't decide between single or dual tube. I'm on the
                          > >east coast in a very car-centric city - very aggressive drivers. Any
                          > >thoughts?
                          > >
                          > >Paula

                          > PC Magazine�s 2007 editors� choice for best Web mail�award-winning
                          Windows
                          > Live Hotmail.

                        • Paul Freedman
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 23, 2007
                            On the subject of horns, I wrote this blog post on Rock The Bike!

                            We've thought about selling airhorns at Rock the Bike, but decided
                            against it for two reasons:

                            1. Air horns aren't cool. They send out the message that bicyclists
                            are disgruntled and bitter. They are absolutely the wrong thing to use
                            for pedestrians or other cyclists. You'll need an Incredibell for
                            that. Purchase at http://rockthebike.com/bells/incredibell

                            2. Yelling "Hey!" at the top of your lungs is faster, just as loud,
                            cheaper, more reliable, and always ready unless you have laryngitis.
                            It has saved me many times. I can yell "Hey!" about as fast as I can
                            perceive a threat. "Hey!" always penetrates automotive glass. When
                            people hear you hell "Hey!", they know it's coming from a human being.
                            When people hear the blast of an air horn, they don't know where it's
                            coming from. This may make yelling "Hey!" more effective at getting a
                            driver's immediate attention. "Hey!" can be followed by "Thanks" if a
                            driver yields, or something harsher if they don't. An air horn only
                            does one thing. If you don't keep the Air Horn pumped up, it won't
                            work. That's one more thing to remember to do before each ride.
                            Yelling "Hey!" requires no preparation.

                            3. Using an air horn requires taking one of your two hands off the
                            handlebars, precisely where you need them in a tense moment. Yelling
                            "Hey!" doesn't.

                            4. Training yourself to yell "Hey!" is easier than training yourself
                            to hit the air horn. And if you're not trained and ready, it does no
                            good to have an air horn on your bars.

                          • Susan
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 23, 2007
                              http://www.resourceroom.net/images/xtradecorated.jpg is how I did
                              mine, tho' you can't see the strings of lights 'cause it's not in the
                              dark. I got applause sometimes and a *lot* of "Merry Christmas!"
                              Walgreens had $5.00 strings of little LEDs run on 4 AA's (that were
                              $0.50 for a little while at one store so I got 3); they're all over
                              the tree, and strung around the frame. (I've also got hokeyspokes in
                              the front wheel.)

                              After Christmas I took the stuff down eventually, and noticed a
                              difference in driver response; they consistenlty seemed to be reacting
                              to me later. I've since strung a set back onto my backpack and around
                              the snapdeck and while I don't get applause, I *do* get noticed sooner
                              again (and occasionally thanked for being visible).

                              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
                            • davidmoskovitz
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 23, 2007
                                One more Xtracycler here, in South Silver Spring. Mine is old and
                                rusty, but I love her. I SO want to do the party bike thing, but the
                                cashflow just won't allow it. Maybe I'll start by making a custom
                                snapdeck. How about a DC-big-bike ride? Just a short one, to
                                establish the community.

                                Oh, and does anyone have a Peapod they don't need anymore?

                                --David

                                Oh, I almost forgot. And X moved in upstairs from me. I love it when
                                a plan comes together.
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 23, 2007
                                  I agree entirely. This was well put. I once accidentally discharged
                                  an Air Zound close behind a jogger, and I was mortified with
                                  embarrassment.

                                  On 2007-05-23, at 12:49 PM, Paul Freedman wrote:
                                  > On the subject of horns, I wrote this blog post on Rock The Bike!
                                  >
                                  > We've thought about selling airhorns at Rock the Bike, but decided
                                  > against it for two reasons...
                                  Except I counted four reasons.

                                  David
                                • murray
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 23, 2007
                                    I think this is a case of horses for courses.
                                    I think you guys are talking about riding in city traffic which is relativley slow. I ride mainly on rural roads where traffic is travelling at 100kph. Yelling 'hey' to vehicles travelling at those speeds does very little.