Fwd: Take Action: AB57 Safe Routes to School on Governor's desk - Urge him to sign the bill!

  • Devian Gilbert
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2007

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: BikeLeague <bikeleague@...>
      Date: September 13, 2007 2:31:12 PM PDT
      To: Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...>
      Subject: Take Action: AB57 Safe Routes to School on Governor's desk - Urge him to sign the bill!

      Take Action Now
      Take Action: AB57 Safe Routes to School on Governor's desk - Urge him to sign the bill!

      CALL AND FAX THE GOVERNOR TO SUPPORT AB57 SAFE ROUTES TO SCHOOL!  This bill will provide a framework for future funding and will protect existing funds.

      We urge Safe Routes to School supporters to contact Governor Schwarzenegger’s office as soon as possible with your support for AB57. Go to the Safe Routes to School National Partnership’s website to see a sample support letter, http://www.saferoutespartnership.org/state/4373/california/6255/6283

      Call the Governor’s office: (916-445-2841) and Fax: (916-445-4633).

      On September 12, 2007, AB57 (Soto) Safe Routes to School passed off the Senate and Assembly Floors and headed to Governor Schwarzenegger’s desk. Unfortunately, in Senate Appropriations on August 30, the committee struck the language from the bill requiring that the Governor include $24.25 million for a state Safe Routes to School program (SR2S) in each year’s budget. California’s Senate leaders contend that they like SR2S but that it’s better fiscal policy to not have ongoing appropriations.

      Despite this set-back, the bill is still extremely important as it will: 1) enable $52 million in existing state SR2S funding to be spent after January 1, 2008 (the date that the current SR2S bill expires), 2) allow for federal SR2S funds to be swapped for state funds (easing administration burdens on local agencies), and 3) create a framework for state SRTS funding to be included in the state budget.

      Thank you for your quick action and support for this important initiative! Please forward this email to others who support walking, bicycling, and Safe Routes to School.

      If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from us, please click here.