Re: [rootsradicals] Down Low Glow

  • Ben Rosenthal
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 13, 2006
      Message
      Just installed it last night, and it rocks.  Paul from Fossil Fool is good people.

      Also I did a little maintenance on the xtracycle last night (degrease and lube of the drivetrain, tighten down everything) and it rides MUCH better than it had been.  I highly recommend doing some spring cleaning if you haven't done it in some time.

      Our nation's capitol is getting warmer, and I'm itchin for some night riding now. :)
    • Leifert, Jesse - BLS
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 14, 2006
        Message
        There are a few of us in town...I met another guy who rides one eating lunch in Capitol Hill and saw another guy riding one somewhere close to the Capitol....slowly it'll catch on here on the east coast.

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 15, 2006
          I got my blender ... but was riding my Trek 'cause I sort of wore
          out hte brake pads on the Xtra already.
          "Hi, Sue, where's your other bike??? Did you get the blender???"

          You gotta love a small town :-)
          I'm doing a professional development workshop here a week from
          monday on "how to blend bicycling into your life" (but most people
          here don't know I mean it literally... we'll see...)
        • TheJonesgal@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 15, 2006
            I love it! How to belend bicycling.
            I really want to know how the blender works in real life.
            I've got the xtracycle and the down low glow. My coworkers will go nuts if I added a blender!
            Gerry South of Seattle

                I got my blender ... but was riding my Trek 'cause I sort of wore
            out hte brake pads on the Xtra already.
               "Hi, Sue, where's your other bike??? Did you get the blender???"

                You gotta love a small town :-)
                I'm doing a professional development workshop here a week from
            monday on "how to blend bicycling into your life" (but most people
            here don't know I mean it  literally... we'll see...)

            You're getting this message because you signed up to be an Xtracycle roots
            radical.

            ride to believe.
            Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • paulamcconnellbks
            Message 5 of 20 , May 20, 2007
              Folks,

              I'm about to order my DLG for my newly free-radicalled bike (still in
              the shop). I can't decide between single or dual tube. I'm on the
              east coast in a very car-centric city - very aggressive drivers. Any
              thoughts?

              Paula
            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 20 , May 20, 2007
                Maybe you need DLG, Hokey spokes, the flag that sticks out and the flag
                that sticks up, a velomobile shell, day-glow orange clothing, blinkies
                blinkies blinkies blinkies, and a huge blow-up teletubby riding the
                snap-deck...

                I suppose you saw the photo of the woman who rigged her bike with
                Christmas tree lights? It's on one of those DIY websites.

                Sorry. I know all about car-centered aggressive drivers and there's not
                a whole lot you can do except get a car bigger than their cars. Guess
                that explains all the hummers out there.

                I think too many people are watching all the Dukes-of-Hazard Spin-offs
                and other bang-em-up, crash-em-up, blow-em-up movies. Well, there was
                one time when I found 'True Lies' a real stress reliever.

                CL

                paulamcconnellbks wrote:
                > Folks,
                >
                > I'm about to order my DLG for my newly free-radicalled bike (still in
                > the shop). I can't decide between single or dual tube. I'm on the
                > east coast in a very car-centric city - very aggressive drivers. Any
                > thoughts?
                >
                > Paula
              • M.E. Martin
                Message 7 of 20 , May 21, 2007
                  Hey Paula,

                  I'd go with dual, assuming the money is there. Here in Baton Rouge car is
                  king to the point that we're truly car sick and getting worse.

                  However, when the local motor vehicle operators are given warning by way of
                  a well-lit bicycle they tend to behave better, on the whole. There's always
                  that 2 - 5% who are too drunk, too self-centered, or too angry to expect
                  much of other than bad behavior; please don't rely too much on the lights.

                  Besides, floating in a larger pool of cool, cool light - who can have enough
                  of that?

                  Mark in BRLA

                  >From: "paulamcconnellbks" <paulamcconnellbks@...>
                  >To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [rootsradicals] Down Low Glow
                  >Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 01:15:10 -0000
                  >
                  >Folks,
                  >
                  >I'm about to order my DLG for my newly free-radicalled bike (still in
                  >the shop). I can't decide between single or dual tube. I'm on the
                  >east coast in a very car-centric city - very aggressive drivers. Any
                  >thoughts?
                  >
                  >Paula

                  Live Hotmail.
                • Amos Patrick
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 21, 2007
                    Christmas lights on a bike!!? That sounds pretty cool. Does anybody
                    know the link to the website?
                    -Amos
                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Maybe you need DLG, Hokey spokes, the flag that sticks out and the flag
                    > that sticks up, a velomobile shell, day-glow orange clothing, blinkies
                    > blinkies blinkies blinkies, and a huge blow-up teletubby riding the
                    > snap-deck...
                    >
                    > I suppose you saw the photo of the woman who rigged her bike with
                    > Christmas tree lights? It's on one of those DIY websites.
                    >
                    > Sorry. I know all about car-centered aggressive drivers and there's
                    not
                    > a whole lot you can do except get a car bigger than their cars. Guess
                    > that explains all the hummers out there.
                    >
                    > I think too many people are watching all the Dukes-of-Hazard Spin-offs
                    > and other bang-em-up, crash-em-up, blow-em-up movies. Well, there was
                    > one time when I found 'True Lies' a real stress reliever.
                    >
                    > CL
                    >
                    > paulamcconnellbks wrote:
                    > > Folks,
                    > >
                    > > I'm about to order my DLG for my newly free-radicalled bike (still in
                    > > the shop). I can't decide between single or dual tube. I'm on the
                    > > east coast in a very car-centric city - very aggressive drivers. Any
                    > > thoughts?
                    > >
                    > > Paula

                  • Philip.X.Diaz
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 21, 2007
                      a better option than x-mas lights is battery-powered electro-
                      luminescent cord ("EL" wire). you can order it online at CoolNeon.com.

                      it's super durable, cheap, low-powered, and can be sequenced to blink
                      or make animations (just like regular neon signs), and is extremely
                      popular for lighting bikes at Burning Man.

                      it's not nearly as bright at the DLG though, so maybe do both!

                      On May 21, 2007, at 7:16 AM, Amos Patrick wrote:

                      > Christmas lights on a bike!!? That sounds pretty cool. Does anybody
                      > know the link to the website?
                      > -Amos
                      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Maybe you need DLG, Hokey spokes, the flag that sticks out and the
                      >> flag
                      >> that sticks up, a velomobile shell, day-glow orange clothing,
                      >> blinkies
                      >> blinkies blinkies blinkies, and a huge blow-up teletubby riding the
                      >> snap-deck...
                      >>
                      >> I suppose you saw the photo of the woman who rigged her bike with
                      >> Christmas tree lights? It's on one of those DIY websites.
                      >>
                      >> Sorry. I know all about car-centered aggressive drivers and there's
                      > not
                      >> a whole lot you can do except get a car bigger than their cars.
                      >> Guess
                      >> that explains all the hummers out there.
                      >>
                      >> I think too many people are watching all the Dukes-of-Hazard Spin-
                      >> offs
                      >> and other bang-em-up, crash-em-up, blow-em-up movies. Well, there
                      >> was
                      >> one time when I found 'True Lies' a real stress reliever.
                      >>
                      >> CL
                      >>
                      >> paulamcconnellbks wrote:
                      >>> Folks,
                      >>>
                      >>> I'm about to order my DLG for my newly free-radicalled bike
                      >>> (still in
                      >>> the shop). I can't decide between single or dual tube. I'm on the
                      >>> east coast in a very car-centric city - very aggressive drivers.
                      >>> Any
                      >>> thoughts?
                      >>>
                      >>> Paula
                      >>

                      > You're getting this message because you signed up to be an
                      > Xtracycle roots radical.

                      > ride to believe.
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • J.P. Nelson
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 21, 2007
                        For the aggressive drivers, I would also recommend a
                        good loud horn, as well as bell. If the cheery ding a
                        bell doesn't harken back to some happy day in
                        childhood, use a really loud bell- sound like a car if
                        you can. Like faking out a bear... go for the Airzound
                        horn. I wuold also really recommend backing the horn
                        up with a cheery wave and smile. We will never beat
                        them with anger and force, and they obviously have far
                        more critical mass than we do. We need to remember
                        that bikes are nice, and we should be to, the law
                        might be on our side, but physics is on theirs... I
                        used to carry a tube of Mentos with me while bike
                        communiting in LA. If someone seemed like they were
                        out to get me, I'd give 'em a smile and flash......
                        the Freshmaker!! If you can get them to smile back,
                        you've won, both this time and hopefully more in the
                        future.

                        ____________________________________________________________________________________Give spam the boot. Take control with tough spam protection in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                      • Ian Hopper
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 22, 2007
                          Get the single tube if you want longer life, the double if you want more glow. Of course, you can get more batteries too... or you could wire up your own system ( I have a Blue 2 tube DLG on SuperVato (my Xtracycle/Stokemonkey bike), and a homebrew system on my burning man bike.) They both work equally well and are equally bright, but I spent about $30 on my homebrew version. You just have to be willing to tinker a little w/ the batteries, wires, etc. I usually get my materials from Electronics Plus in San Rafael, CA (if I can't wait: the prices there are STEEP) or at http://vibelights.com/ . The vibelights guys are also burners, so don't order around the end of august.

                          The DLG is great b/c it's turnkey and slick, but you pay the price. Paul's a great guy, and good rapper too. I bought his stuff b/c it's good and I like supporting him. He'd probably tell you though that the DLG isn't that hard to make, it's just labor intensive. Oh.. and I got mine used from another member here.

                          You can email me if you have questions and I'll do my best to help you out.

                          Ian
                        • Ian Hopper
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 22, 2007
                            That's it J.P, kill em with kindness. Works everytime, and the
                            angrier and more irate they get, the nicer and bigger you smile. You
                            can't win the race to the bottom, so race to the top! They end up
                            feeling more and more like an ass, and you feel better and better,
                            maybe even sorry for them. I have to keep reminding myself of this
                            when *I* start to get irate with the cagers....

                            Ian
                          • Cara Lin Bridgman
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 23, 2007
                              The bike with the Christmas tree lights is here:
                              <http://www.instructables.com/id/ES89UXYK1MEP287UQZ?ALLSTEPS>

                              I think I saw another link to that somewhere, or some discussion of it.
                              You can see in the first picture the battery pack zip-tied to the
                              axil. The lights are zip-tied on, too.

                              CL

                              Cara Lin Bridgman wrote:
                              > I suppose you saw the photo of the woman who rigged her bike with
                              > Christmas tree lights? It's on one of those DIY websites.
                            • Paul Freedman
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 23, 2007
                                More and more, I'm recommending new customers to go with the Single
                                Tube DLG for their bikes. There are exceptions to this rule, but the
                                main reasons are:

                                1. Single tube version is a very simple product. Putting it on takes
                                about 30 seconds. Dual tube version is closer to two minutes. Taking
                                it off is quick for both. This only applies if you're the type of
                                person who might take lights on and off your bike. (I just leave the
                                lights on and take the battery on and off.)

                                2. The battery life is better for commuters with busy lives. Battery
                                life is 5-6 hours on the single. The exception here is if you're the
                                type of person who's really on top of charging batteries OR if you
                                purchase a fast charger with your system, which makes battery charging
                                very convenient.

                                3. Brightness and safety. One might quickly conclude that the Single
                                tube system is half as bright because it has half as many light tubes.
                                And that therefore it provides half as much visibility. Well that's
                                true if one measures lumens, but when you consider the position and
                                the angle of the tubes, it's a little different. The single tube
                                system, mounted on the front triangle of your bicycle, is angled
                                forward/down. This is the tube that provides the amazing side
                                visibility that DLG owners love. It hits the side angles so that when
                                you're in an intersection, cars entering from different streets can
                                see you. Plus your peripheral vision while looking ahead includes the
                                light from this tube but not the rear tube. So while you're riding,
                                you really can't tell a difference. It's when you look down at your
                                own bike while riding that the dual tube system is noticeably
                                different. On a dual tube system, the rear tube does provide
                                additional side visibility. It does protect you, but it's not as
                                important as that front tube. And it doesn't really eliminate the need
                                for a rear-facing blinky, especially on an xtracycle, with the bags
                                and everything obscuring the direct visibility of the light in the
                                rear direction.

                                4. Party power. If you are interested in doing critical mass rides,
                                social rides, and cruiser rides, of the type posted at rockthebike.com
                                's rides and events section, then the dual tube system is great. Yes,
                                it offers more bling and a complete sweep of light from the front to
                                the rear of your bicycle. Here is where the dual tube system is
                                clearly better than the single.

                                However, a very cool option is to get get two complete single tube
                                systems, which puts you in position to have the uber glow on social
                                rides AND to share light with a friend on a sunset cruise you
                                organize. This way you can have beautiful cruises with your kids,
                                wife, husband, girlfriend, out of town guest, etc. When doing this,
                                please remember to choose two different colors, as the color fades
                                will be quite beautiful on the ground beneath you as you cruise...

                                I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can clear anything else up.
                                888-354-BIKE or paul at rock the bike dot com

                                Yours, Paul

                                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "M.E. Martin" <xibilba931@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Hey Paula,
                                >
                                > I'd go with dual, assuming the money is there. Here in Baton Rouge
                                car is
                                > king to the point that we're truly car sick and getting worse.
                                >
                                > However, when the local motor vehicle operators are given warning by
                                way of
                                > a well-lit bicycle they tend to behave better, on the whole. There's
                                always
                                > that 2 - 5% who are too drunk, too self-centered, or too angry to
                                expect
                                > much of other than bad behavior; please don't rely too much on the
                                lights.

                                > Besides, floating in a larger pool of cool, cool light - who can
                                have enough
                                > of that?
                                >
                                > Mark in BRLA
                                >
                                > >From: "paulamcconnellbks" <paulamcconnellbks@...>
                                > >To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                                > >Subject: [rootsradicals] Down Low Glow
                                > >Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 01:15:10 -0000
                                > >
                                > >Folks,
                                > >
                                > >I'm about to order my DLG for my newly free-radicalled bike (still in
                                > >the shop). I can't decide between single or dual tube. I'm on the
                                > >east coast in a very car-centric city - very aggressive drivers. Any
                                > >thoughts?
                                > >
                                > >Paula

                                > PC Magazine�s 2007 editors� choice for best Web mail�award-winning
                                Windows
                                > Live Hotmail.

                              • Paul Freedman
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 23, 2007
                                  On the subject of horns, I wrote this blog post on Rock The Bike!

                                  We've thought about selling airhorns at Rock the Bike, but decided
                                  against it for two reasons:

                                  1. Air horns aren't cool. They send out the message that bicyclists
                                  are disgruntled and bitter. They are absolutely the wrong thing to use
                                  for pedestrians or other cyclists. You'll need an Incredibell for
                                  that. Purchase at http://rockthebike.com/bells/incredibell

                                  2. Yelling "Hey!" at the top of your lungs is faster, just as loud,
                                  cheaper, more reliable, and always ready unless you have laryngitis.
                                  It has saved me many times. I can yell "Hey!" about as fast as I can
                                  perceive a threat. "Hey!" always penetrates automotive glass. When
                                  people hear you hell "Hey!", they know it's coming from a human being.
                                  When people hear the blast of an air horn, they don't know where it's
                                  coming from. This may make yelling "Hey!" more effective at getting a
                                  driver's immediate attention. "Hey!" can be followed by "Thanks" if a
                                  driver yields, or something harsher if they don't. An air horn only
                                  does one thing. If you don't keep the Air Horn pumped up, it won't
                                  work. That's one more thing to remember to do before each ride.
                                  Yelling "Hey!" requires no preparation.

                                  3. Using an air horn requires taking one of your two hands off the
                                  handlebars, precisely where you need them in a tense moment. Yelling
                                  "Hey!" doesn't.

                                  4. Training yourself to yell "Hey!" is easier than training yourself
                                  to hit the air horn. And if you're not trained and ready, it does no
                                  good to have an air horn on your bars.

                                • Susan
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 23, 2007
                                    http://www.resourceroom.net/images/xtradecorated.jpg is how I did
                                    mine, tho' you can't see the strings of lights 'cause it's not in the
                                    dark. I got applause sometimes and a *lot* of "Merry Christmas!"
                                    Walgreens had $5.00 strings of little LEDs run on 4 AA's (that were
                                    $0.50 for a little while at one store so I got 3); they're all over
                                    the tree, and strung around the frame. (I've also got hokeyspokes in
                                    the front wheel.)

                                    After Christmas I took the stuff down eventually, and noticed a
                                    difference in driver response; they consistenlty seemed to be reacting
                                    to me later. I've since strung a set back onto my backpack and around
                                    the snapdeck and while I don't get applause, I *do* get noticed sooner
                                    again (and occasionally thanked for being visible).

                                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
                                  • davidmoskovitz
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 23, 2007
                                      One more Xtracycler here, in South Silver Spring. Mine is old and
                                      rusty, but I love her. I SO want to do the party bike thing, but the
                                      cashflow just won't allow it. Maybe I'll start by making a custom
                                      snapdeck. How about a DC-big-bike ride? Just a short one, to
                                      establish the community.

                                      Oh, and does anyone have a Peapod they don't need anymore?

                                      --David

                                      Oh, I almost forgot. And X moved in upstairs from me. I love it when
                                      a plan comes together.
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 23, 2007
                                        I agree entirely. This was well put. I once accidentally discharged
                                        an Air Zound close behind a jogger, and I was mortified with
                                        embarrassment.

                                        On 2007-05-23, at 12:49 PM, Paul Freedman wrote:
                                        > On the subject of horns, I wrote this blog post on Rock The Bike!
                                        >
                                        > We've thought about selling airhorns at Rock the Bike, but decided
                                        > against it for two reasons...
                                        Except I counted four reasons.

                                        David
                                      • murray
                                        Message 19 of 20 , May 23, 2007
                                          I think this is a case of horses for courses.
                                          I think you guys are talking about riding in city traffic which is relativley slow. I ride mainly on rural roads where traffic is travelling at 100kph. Yelling 'hey' to vehicles travelling at those speeds does very little.