Handlebars

  • akyramoto
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 7, 2007
      My roomie just bought a mountain bike ( she plans to put an X on it),
      she got a great deal on this bike, but she should've really bought a
      'comfort' bike or a Townie. The bent over position is too hard on her
      back. I thought that maybe we could just find her new handle bars
      with it least a 2" rise in them, but i can't fins anything!!

      if anyone knows where I can look @ a selection of handlebars that
      would be awesome!!

      thanks!!
    • Devian Gilbert

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 7, 2007
          those are cool!

          I actually found a couple on Amazon.com, some cheapos but she's on a
          really tight budget. i think she ended up getting the bike ( a
          raliegh grande mesa i think) for $10!

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...>

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 7, 2007
            Rivendell.

            http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/handlebars_stems_and_tape

            Albatross, Al or CrMo, or (next page) Dove.

            Possibly upgrade the stem, too.

            But those Hitec H-bars looked interesting.

            On 2007-09-07, at 1:24 PM, akyramoto wrote:
            > My roomie just bought a mountain bike ( she plans to put an X on it),
            > she got a great deal on this bike, but she should've really bought a
            > 'comfort' bike or a Townie. The bent over position is too hard on her
            > back. I thought that maybe we could just find her new handle bars
            > with it least a 2" rise in them, but i can't fins anything!!
            >
            > if anyone knows where I can look @ a selection of handlebars that
            > would be awesome!!

          • Devian Gilbert
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 7, 2007
              ya...its really disappointing that bike stuff costs so much.

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 7, 2007

                            Considering you said your room mate is on a tight budget, what about these handlebars from Nashbar:

                http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=600092&subcategory=60001049&brand=&sku=9756&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20ATB%20Handlebars

                            They are the ones I have been using on my Xtracycle for a number of years now. They are an uncommon design, but they definitely provide variations in grip positioning… and they are pretty cheap at $20. I know you said your room mate bought her bike for $10, so these handlebars would be double the cost of her bike, but compared to other handlebars these are pretty affordable.

                            If you want a selection like you said, Nashbar still offers a bunch of cheap options. The cheapest ATB handlebar they have is only $10…

                http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?subcategory=60001049&category=600092&browse=&storetype=&estoreid=&brand=&searchbox=&start=1&orderby=price1&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20ATB%20Handlebars

                            I am unfamiliar with your room mate’s bike model, but in case it is not an ATB just go to Nashbar’s handlebar section and check out what else they have…

                http://www.nashbar.com/subcategories.cfm?category=600092

                Good luck,

                _TONE_

              • Mark Garvey
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 8, 2007
                  Hit the LBS and ask about compatible stems and different bar shapes!  I have one stem (which for various reasons I don't care for , but that is beside the point!) that has a pivot that allows the stem to be changed from a down low and forward to nearly vertical!  About a 5 or 6 inch difference in bar altitude.  I like rather high bars myself!   I also like those ASANA  "H" bars!  I NEED a set!  I don't stand up on the pedals much, but the whole idea of GOOD. and comfortable  bars is nearly an obsession for me!  right now I am running a flat bar with a slight rise (a couple of inches maybe) and extensions which put my shifters (bar cons) out in front of me and the brakes  and power assist switch on the main bar.  I like to change position when I ride to help avoid numb fingers.

                  mark

                  On 9/7/07, akyramoto <akyramoto@...> wrote:
                  My roomie just bought a mountain bike ( she plans to put an X on it),
                  she got a great deal on this bike, but she should've really bought a
                  'comfort' bike or a Townie.  The bent over position is too hard on her
                  back.  I thought that maybe we could just find her new handle bars
                  with it least a 2" rise in them, but i can't fins anything!!

                  if anyone knows where I can look @ a selection of handlebars that
                  would be awesome!!

                  thanks!!

                  ride to believe.
                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      mailto: rootsradicals-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Mark  Garvey
                  Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

                  Check out the web site at:
                  http://www.vine-ave.com

                  contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

                  I am a bicycling lifestylist!
                • Bruce Alan Wilson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 8, 2007
                    Re: Handlebars

                    What does your LBS have to say about the issue?

                    I have found more than once that when I have been casting about on the 'Net for a solution and am ready to tear out what little hair I have left, I go to my LBS and they suggest something so simple and straightforward that I want to kick myself for not thinking of it myself.

                    Bruce Alan Wilson

                  • Jeff Ong
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 8, 2007
                      I expect she's got the usual zero-rise stem and flat (XC) bars, since
                      it's a problem for her.

                      You'll be able to get a lot more rise out of a stem than bars, at
                      least if you stick with more traditional mountain bars. Salsa makes a
                      range of higher-rise stems, and there are some lower-end companies
                      that also make 45 degree stems.

                      Also look at a swept-back bar, not just risers, if she prefers that
                      cruiser feel -- something like the On-One Mary bars, maybe? This will
                      bring her hands back towards her body more, which also allows a more
                      upright position.

                      A local bike store should be able to help a lot with fit. If it's a
                      quill stem, or a threadless setup with some spacers above the stem,
                      you can also raise the stem a fair bit... even pretty small tweaks can
                      help. Don't forget to look at saddle position... it may be very far
                      back on the rails.

                      - Jeff

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "akyramoto" <akyramoto@...> wrote:

                      > My roomie just bought a mountain bike ( she plans to put an X on it),
                      > she got a great deal on this bike, but she should've really bought a
                      > 'comfort' bike or a Townie. The bent over position is too hard on her
                      > back. I thought that maybe we could just find her new handle bars
                      > with it least a 2" rise in them, but i can't fins anything!!
                      >
                      > if anyone knows where I can look @ a selection of handlebars that
                      > would be awesome!!
                      >
                      > thanks!!

                    • Morgan Giddings
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 9, 2007
                        Hi
                        I've played around with lots of handlebar options on my various bikes to avoid wrist pain (I
                        spend a minimum of 1 hour per day on the bike). Right now on my Xtracycle, I'm running
                        a high-rise stem and the "Nitto albatross" - here's a good web page with pictures:
                        http://bessasandackerman.com/blog/?p=46. It definitely can help with a more upright
                        riding position. One thing to watch out for though: as your sit more upright, there is more
                        pressure on the back and rear end, so it pays to make sure you have a comfortable seat.

                        Also, if you're looking for just a high-rise stem, you can get a Salsa Moto Ace SUL stem in
                        40 degree rise, which lifts things up high. I have one on another mountain bike of mine
                        that has drop bars on it, and this gives about 2" of lift.

                        If you want even more lift, check out the BBB Stem extender: it's an ingenious little device
                        that can be used to raise things up substantially:
                        http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3970

                        Hope that helps!
                        Morgan

                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "akyramoto" <akyramoto@...> wrote:

                        > My roomie just bought a mountain bike ( she plans to put an X on it),
                        > she got a great deal on this bike, but she should've really bought a
                        > 'comfort' bike or a Townie. The bent over position is too hard on her
                        > back. I thought that maybe we could just find her new handle bars
                        > with it least a 2" rise in them, but i can't fins anything!!
                        >
                        > if anyone knows where I can look @ a selection of handlebars that
                        > would be awesome!!
                        >
                        > thanks!!

                      • Devian Gilbert