Dutch Longtail

  • Ken Ismert
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 7, 2007
      De Fietsfabriek has a longtail called the Pax-Max Duo:

      http://www.fietsfabriek.nl/pages_eng/pmduo.htm

      Just goes to show there is very little we can think of, bike-wise,
      that the Dutch haven't already done. Likely, they did it 75 years ago!
    • Devian Gilbert
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 7, 2007
        I like the front rack.
        all it needs are arm rests
        the Dutch have it going on
        Its a MEGA BUMMER that Secretary Peters said that bikes are not transportation...
        God help us...

        peace...d

        On Sep 7, 2007, at 10:17 AM, Ken Ismert wrote:

        De Fietsfabriek has a longtail called the Pax-Max Duo:

        http://www.fietsfabriek.nl/pages_eng/pmduo.htm

        Just goes to show there is very little we can think of, bike-wise,
        that the Dutch haven't already done. Likely, they did it 75 years ago!

      • Mark Garvey
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2007
          On 9/7/07, Ken Ismert <kismert@...> wrote:

          De Fietsfabriek has a longtail called the Pax-Max Duo:

          http://www.fietsfabriek.nl/pages_eng/pmduo.htm

          Just goes to show there is very little we can think of, bike-wise,
          that the Dutch haven't already done. Likely, they did it 75 years ago!

          Last June at the Iowa Velomobile and HPV conference, I had a couple from Minnesota who came down and spoke about their trip by bike in the Netherlands.  they own Velomobiles (Cab Bikes) which are similar in concept to the X but with a cab over them.  they can pack an AWESOME amount inside! but they cost about $10,000 too!  so don't expect to see many around the USA soon!  anyway, they had a slide presentation on the cycling in the Netherlands, including people riding Bakfiets with Gardening tools, bushes, grocerys and kids in the tubs, and a good many showing people riding with up to 3 kids on the bike with them.

          Dale said that one picture eluded him because his mouth was hung open and couldn't get the camera up in time, but the image was engraved on his eyeballs!  He said it is of a young woman, riding an old dutch clunker style bike.  she was wearing a red miniskirt, red high heels and a business style blouse and jacket.  On her bike was a child in back, a second one on the front mounted seat (with a windshield!) , and there was a third, unoccupied seat.  she was pedaling serenely through Amsterdam holding an umbrella over her head and talking on a cell phone!

          the Dutch Soccer Mom!

          Bikes are not transportation INDEED!  BAH!  This administration has GOT to go!  grumble grumble. (and I don't care WHAT party it is, when they start spouting drivel it is time to dump them!)  As someone once said, "No matter WHO you vote for, the Government ALWAYS gets in!"

          mark

          Mark  Garvey
          Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

          Check out the web site at:
          http://www.vine-ave.com

          contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

          I am a bicycling lifestylist!
        • Bruce Alan Wilson
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 9, 2007
            Re: Dutch Longtail

            "Bikes are not transportation INDEED! BAH! This administration has GOT to
            go! grumble grumble. (and I don't care WHAT party it is, when they start
            spouting drivel it is time to dump them!) As someone once said, "No matter
            WHO you vote for, the Government ALWAYS gets in!"

            mark

            Mark Garvey
            Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

            Check out the web site at:
            http://www.vine-ave.com

            contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program! Details at
            www.vine-ave.com

            I am a bicycling lifestylist!"

            That's all very well and good in a small, flat country like the Netherlands.  However, we are a large mountainous country; that is very different.

            And the Secretary's quote wasn't that bicycles were not transportation.  It was the bike paths, rail-trails, and greenways were not transportation facilities.  And she was right.  Most such are designed for recreation, not transportation.  (With exceptions, of course!)  I wish that it were not so, but it is.

            I am a transportational cyclist.  My friends think I'm eccentric.  Those who don't know me that well think I'm crazy.

            Bruce Alan Wilson

          • Mark Garvey
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 10, 2007
              On 9/9/07, Bruce Alan Wilson <bawilson@...> wrote:

[...]

              HEH!  Looking at the qoute, yes.....I can see where she is coming from.  and indeed, the "bike facilities" around here seem to be  mostly recreational types.  Although one does parallel the interstate 380 corridor for 54 miles.  THAT is a rather nice one, but at the same time it IS mostly for recreation.  One facility runs from the NE side of town into the downtown area and "serves" a lot of folks as a transportation route.  But mostly we use the city streets when we ride here.  So maybe that is a valid poiint.

              on the other hand, so far this particular administration DOES seem to be somewhat hostile to anything but the automobile...Maybe that is just MY impression, but for some reason, it seems that way!
              mark

              Mark  Garvey
              Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

              Check out the web site at:
              http://www.vine-ave.com

              contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

              I am a bicycling lifestylist!
            • mcg
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 10, 2007
                Bruce,

                I recently visited Madison, WI (used to live there) and they have installed a number of rail trails that are used for functional commuting.  I was there for a conference, and every day I rode my bike (I bring my folding bike with me whenever I travel) from an outer suburb to campus on one of these trails, 8 miles each way (with a 1 mile connection to the path through quiet neighborhoods).  I rode the trail both daytime and night.  Every time I rode the trail, I saw many other commuters on it, including one evening at 10 pm (I saw at least three that night).  The only time it wasn't well used was a Friday evening when I went back to my room at 9pm - I saw only one or two people out then.  This is a great example of a functional bike trail that was used both for commuting and recreation.

                Even the pitifully short bike paths in my town, Chapel Hill NC, get used regularly by commuters.  For example, there's a little 0.8 mile long linker trail from Chapel Hill to the adjoining town Carborro, and it is very rare when I don't see other commuters on it.  It actually has two lanes for bikers _and_ a separate pedestrian lane, which is great (as long as the pedestrians heed the marker, which not all do).

                The key thing in both these cases is that the bike paths actually went somewhere useful, i.e. to and from campus.  I think that many of the non-functional bike paths suffer from one of several problems: 1) they don't go anywhere that someone would commute to, and hence are truly just for recreation, 2) they are too short to be useful.

                But in my experience, the useful bike paths are not just the rare exception (this is also true when I have visited Davis, CA).

                Morgan

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 10, 2007
                  [Mark Garvey Wrote:]
                  > Dale said that one picture eluded him ... is of a young woman,
                  > riding an old dutch clunker style bike ... wearing a red
                  > miniskirt, red high heels ...

                  For _lots_ of pictures like that:

                  Cycle Chic - Copenhagen Girls on Bikes
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/16nine/sets/72157594400316816/

                  Disclaimer: In referring this link, I am in no way responsible if you
                  decide to learn Danish and move to Copenhagen!

                  -Ken