Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Going Carless

    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 7, 2007
      On 2007-09-07, at 9:17 AM, issumatuq@... wrote:
      > most of the bike use will now be on pavement since it will be my
      > primary mode of transportation from here on out. I know I don't
      > need anything too heavy but what they put on are definitely wuss
      > tires - way too big and springy for me. And I don't think they will
      > take the weighted X on a grocery trip very well.
      I am not sure that big and springy is wrong for the X, but your
      earlier mail made it sound like your new tires were big and squishy
      instead. The tires I run have thin casings, but they are large,
      bouncy tires. I have a pair on the back of a "MTB tandem" that I
      bought cheap used, and when I ride it with no passenger up a bouncy
      hill (some of the "paved surfaces" in this town approach off-road
      quality) it bounces high enough that I feel the loss of traction in
      the pedalling -- not wheel slip, but wheel air. BUT, for an X, these
      tires are fabulous; bumps are damped, rolling resistance is low (I
      measured it, by rolling down a gentle hill, and comparing with some
      120psi 700x28c tires, the fat low pressure tires are actually
      better), and their rated load (150kg == 330lbs, per tire) is enough
      for me + me on the back.

      I am a little reluctant to just say "go buy some Schwalbe's" because
      they are not cheap; the tire I like, is list price $37.85, per tire,
      but they are excellent tires, difficult to puncture (I rode through
      glass night before last, and know that I hit some because I heard it
      snap in two under my weight, and the tires still had all their air
      today). Their site is plenty interesting because they give lots of
      information; size expressed two ways, what sort of puncture
      protection, what sort of rubber, inflation pressure, weight, rated
      load, etc. There's way too many tires out there to choose from, that
      is for sure.

      By-the-way, do you have disk brakes? That makes a difference, the
      fat tires are so fat, they actually bind a little on the (unused) V
      brake mounts on my bike. That would be annoying if I actually was
      using the V brakes.

      David
    • Anne Littlebird
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 12, 2007
        I couldn't really since I was trying to negotiate rush hour traffic on a
        VERY busy narrow road with a lot of angry people. The fact that she
        yelled at someone in that situation is inexcusable - it could easily
        cause that person to become distracted which is not good in heavy traffic.

        And I wear fur too - I tell people it's just a cultural thing but in
        reality it's just smart. Both of my coats are old - both were gotten
        extremely cheap but they are warm! A short parka made by the Inuit and a
        full length raccoon coat. Both were in perfect shape when I found them
        at a thrift store for less than $100 for both. Taken care of they will
        out live me unless Peta finds me first. And if anyone damages the hat I
        was given by a group of Mongolian musicians I played with one night in
        Beijing I will be beyond upset. Should not have even gotten it back in
        the country since at the last minute I realized that the crown of it was
        leopard although all you see is the black fox and the tail that runs
        down my back. :)