brake levers

  • Mark Garvey
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2007
      Ummmmm, call me STUPID or something.....but I had this problem.  I got a bike from Freecycle and built it up, then put the Xtracycle on it.  and my electric assist motor (Does THAT ever work GREAT!!!  KILLER combination!)  anyhoo....my brakes just wern't "right"  I couldn't get them to mesh correctly, they were mushy and did not want to STOP my bike.  I had the pads so close they were rubbing sometimes and STILL I couldn't get any real authority!  DAMN!

      Stopped at the bike shop today to talk to them and get some new V brakes.....they guy there said....And i quote....."you are using the wrong levers!"  He said that If i looked, he would bet me significant cash that I was using Cantilever brake levers on V brakes and they won't WORK because they don't have enough pivot length!  V brake levers are LONGER between the pivot and cable.   I went home, looked and he was right!  I found a different set of levers and they were the ones I needed, swapped them out and the brakes are like "lock up both wheels" tight!   this also explains my crappy front brake on my Tour Easy too!  It pulled HARD but had no power!  Well DUH, teh lever was from a V brake which is incompatable with the stupid heavy BMX sidepull on the stupid fork!

      Have you guys ever done something so absolutely STUPID that you couldn't believe that you did it?  If I were any dumber, my ears would touch!

      crap!

      Ah well, I got brakes ....now!

      sheesh
      mark

      Mark  Garvey
      Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

      Check out the web site at:
      http://www.vine-ave.com

      contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

      I am a bicycling lifestylist!
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2007
        Yeah, I did that, but I didn't beat myself up very much about it.
        Eventually, I got a pair of in-line-travel-agents (a leverage converter)
        to fix my problem.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2007
          HEH!  I wasn't all THAT upset, just amazed that I had been so unobservant!  Arrrgh.  just frustrated eh?  Sort of like when you can't figure out why something won't work, and discover that it wasn't plugged in!  sheesh!  Heck if you can't laugh at yourself, who CAN you laugh at!

          mark

          On 2007-09-06, at 10:18 PM, Mark Garvey wrote:
          > And i quote....."you are using the wrong levers!"

          ride to believe.
          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional