Re: [rootsradicals] Kona Cargo bike

  • Mark Garvey
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007
      yeah, I agree!  I LOVE the Freeloaders and my GOD how much stuff can you pack into them if you add the wideloaders! This is where i think Surly has it right.  they are working WITH Xtracycle to make a compatible system.  I am so entheused that I am saving up my nickles and dimes and planning to buy a Surly bike of some sort.  Instigator or a LHT probably rather than a Big dummy.  Mostly because it would mean that my X will be no longer useful!  WAH!  Unless Of course I move it to a DIFFERENT bike........Oh, why did I say that!  Insanity.....

      mark

      On 9/6/07, murray <murrayneill@...> wrote:
      The first thing that struck me when I saw that picture of the ute was the size of the bags. It has that wonderful big cargo rack and on it they have a little bag which looks smaller than a saddle bag you might find on a 'normal' bike. Its not much bigger than your average fannypack. I read you have the option of getting 4 bags instead of two but even then they look like they would be no match for the versatility of the freeloaders.
      Nice frame, let down by wimpy bags.

      On 9/7/07, Tone < Tone@...> wrote:

                  Did someone mention Kona's 2008 cargo bike, which they are calling the "Ute"? The name sounds familiar, but I do not remember seeing a picture of it. Here is a link:

      http://www.konaworld.com/08_ute.htm

                  It costs $800 USD, and unless I am reading the specs wrong, it only has front brakes(?)! It also looks like their web page is buggy because a number of the links to the right do not seem to display correctly.

                  I find it funny how there seems to be a number of companies coming out with cargo-style bikes… now that Xtracycle has really pushed the market first. Of course it is nice to know major bicycle manufacturers are appreciating the value of a bicycle for practical, work, and hauling purposes.

                  I will certainly stick with the Xtracycle or the Big Dummy when it comes out though. At least I know Surly collaborated with Xtracycle to tweak all the design kinks out of the Big Dummy before releasing it. I also really like how the Free Radical's design allows it to be adaptable for different uses depending on what Xtracycle-brand or retrofitted attachments are put on.

      Mark  Garvey
      Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

      Check out the web site at:
      http://www.vine-ave.com

      contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

      I am a bicycling lifestylist!
    • Michael Lemberger
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 7, 2007
        on Sep 6, 2007 Tone wrote:

        > It costs $800 USD, and unless I am reading the specs wrong, it only
        > has front brakes(?)! It also looks like their web page is buggy
        > because a number of the links to the right do not seem to display
        > correctly.

        I think what's posted on Kona's site is pretty preliminary. There's
        more info over on Bike Hugger:

        <http://bikehugger.com/2007/08/more_on_konas_ute.htm>

        ...looks like it will have a rear v-brake. I'm not sure why you'd mix
        brake technologies on a production bike, but I guess it's been done
        before (with U-brakes and cantilevers on early mountain bikes, for
        example.)

        > I find it funny how there seems to be a number of companies coming
        > out with cargo-style bikes. now that Xtracycle has really pushed
        > the market first. Of course it is nice to know major bicycle
        > manufacturers are appreciating the value of a bicycle for
        > practical, work, and hauling purposes.

        I agree that this is a positive direction for bicycle technology, and
        I give Xtracycle a ton of credit for pushing utilitarian longbikes
        into the mainstream. Of course, like many things in cycling, it's not
        an entirely new technology: <http://clevercycles.com/?p=7>

        > I will certainly stick with the Xtracycle or the Big Dummy when it
        > comes out though. At least I know Surly collaborated with Xtracycle
        > to tweak all the design kinks out of the Big Dummy before releasing
        > it. I also really like how the Free Radical's design allows it to
        > be adaptable for different uses depending on what Xtracycle-brand
        > or retrofitted attachments are put on.

        I agree that the Free Radical and Big Dummy designs offer a more
        flexible platform than the Kona design. I don't necessarily think
        that it's a one-size-fits-all solution though, and Kona's bike may be
        more appropriate for some people's needs. I hope Kona's entry into
        this part of the market becomes part of a rising tide that will lift
        all boats.

        Cheers,

        Michael (Mauricio B.) Lemberger
        Madison, WI
        sconnyboy.blogspot.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 7, 2007
          Looking at the two sites, and looking at the picture, and considering
          our
          recent discussion on tires, I think one problem with this bike is
          that it
          might not support really large (2.35 inch) tires, and it might have
          limited
          clearance for snow tires. There's a post extending between the rear
          stays (in the picture) that ought not be quite so long as it is in
          the picture.