[rootsradicals] Kona Cargo bike

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 6 11:39 AM

                  Did someone mention Kona’s 2008 cargo bike, which they are calling the “Ute”? The name sounds familiar, but I do not remember seeing a picture of it. Here is a link:

      http://www.konaworld.com/08_ute.htm

                  It costs $800 USD, and unless I am reading the specs wrong, it only has front brakes(?)! It also looks like their web page is buggy because a number of the links to the right do not seem to display correctly.

                  I find it funny how there seems to be a number of companies coming out with cargo-style bikes… now that Xtracycle has really pushed the market first. Of course it is nice to know major bicycle manufacturers are appreciating the value of a bicycle for practical, work, and hauling purposes.

                  I will certainly stick with the Xtracycle or the Big Dummy when it comes out though. At least I know Surly collaborated with Xtracycle to tweak all the design kinks out of the Big Dummy before releasing it. I also really like how the Free Radical’s design allows it to be adaptable for different uses depending on what Xtracycle-brand or retrofitted attachments are put on.

      _TONE_

    • murray

        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 6 6:32 PM
          yeah, I agree!  I LOVE the Freeloaders and my GOD how much stuff can you pack into them if you add the wideloaders! This is where i think Surly has it right.  they are working WITH Xtracycle to make a compatible system.  I am so entheused that I am saving up my nickles and dimes and planning to buy a Surly bike of some sort.  Instigator or a LHT probably rather than a Big dummy.  Mostly because it would mean that my X will be no longer useful!  WAH!  Unless Of course I move it to a DIFFERENT bike........Oh, why did I say that!  Insanity.....

          mark

          On 9/7/07, Tone < Tone@...> wrote:

[...]

          Mark  Garvey
          Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

          Check out the web site at:
          http://www.vine-ave.com

          contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

          I am a bicycling lifestylist!
        • Michael Lemberger
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 7 7:57 AM
            on Sep 6, 2007 Tone wrote:

            > It costs $800 USD, and unless I am reading the specs wrong, it only
            > has front brakes(?)! It also looks like their web page is buggy
            > because a number of the links to the right do not seem to display
            > correctly.

            I think what's posted on Kona's site is pretty preliminary. There's
            more info over on Bike Hugger:

            <http://bikehugger.com/2007/08/more_on_konas_ute.htm>

            ...looks like it will have a rear v-brake. I'm not sure why you'd mix
            brake technologies on a production bike, but I guess it's been done
            before (with U-brakes and cantilevers on early mountain bikes, for
            example.)

            > I find it funny how there seems to be a number of companies coming
            > out with cargo-style bikes. now that Xtracycle has really pushed
            > the market first. Of course it is nice to know major bicycle
            > manufacturers are appreciating the value of a bicycle for
            > practical, work, and hauling purposes.

            I agree that this is a positive direction for bicycle technology, and
            I give Xtracycle a ton of credit for pushing utilitarian longbikes
            into the mainstream. Of course, like many things in cycling, it's not
            an entirely new technology: <http://clevercycles.com/?p=7>

            > I will certainly stick with the Xtracycle or the Big Dummy when it
            > comes out though. At least I know Surly collaborated with Xtracycle
            > to tweak all the design kinks out of the Big Dummy before releasing
            > it. I also really like how the Free Radical's design allows it to
            > be adaptable for different uses depending on what Xtracycle-brand
            > or retrofitted attachments are put on.

            I agree that the Free Radical and Big Dummy designs offer a more
            flexible platform than the Kona design. I don't necessarily think
            that it's a one-size-fits-all solution though, and Kona's bike may be
            more appropriate for some people's needs. I hope Kona's entry into
            this part of the market becomes part of a rising tide that will lift
            all boats.

            Cheers,

            Michael (Mauricio B.) Lemberger
            Madison, WI
            sconnyboy.blogspot.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 7 8:25 AM
              Looking at the two sites, and looking at the picture, and considering
              our
              recent discussion on tires, I think one problem with this bike is
              that it
              might not support really large (2.35 inch) tires, and it might have
              limited
              clearance for snow tires. There's a post extending between the rear
              stays (in the picture) that ought not be quite so long as it is in
              the picture.