Going Carless

  • Anne Littlebird
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 6, 2007
      Well this is the month - next week I'm ordering the xtracycle. I've
      been saving for the past few months and it's now time!

      Which is good because September is a big month. I'm celebrating one of
      those big birthdays and as of October 1 I'll be carless. Well not
      completely. I will still own a car but it will be in the garage
      without tags and insurance. I'm 99% there with the thought of no car
      but since I'm also planning a move in the next year to another state I
      thought this would be the way to try it. The DMV and my insurance
      agent were great and very encouraging and I am blessed with an
      apartment that has a garage. One of it's many perks although it costs
      me half my monthly pay.

      I've been cycling to work although I did go back to the car when it
      got to be 105. I don't do well with the heat and I certainly did not
      like getting back in the steel box. My attitude went back to poor but
      now I won't have the option since it would take at least a day to get
      the car back up on the road and legal. Yesterday 92 actually felt cool
      on the bike. Sad but true.

      Everything I need is in the 15 min ride range except for the odd trip
      to Target. Otherwise grocery, work, library, post office are all in
      walking or biking distance. Work is the farthest and it's only 3
      miles. Yes I have it made. I do have a second job on Sundays which
      will be the test since I have to work 4 to midnight and then cycle
      home 25 mins but by the next month I'll have added the down low glows
      so i should be fine. Not much choice.

      This is going to be the best birthday ever!

      Annie
    • Anne Littlebird
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 12, 2007
        I couldn't really since I was trying to negotiate rush hour traffic on a
        VERY busy narrow road with a lot of angry people. The fact that she
        yelled at someone in that situation is inexcusable - it could easily
        cause that person to become distracted which is not good in heavy traffic.

        And I wear fur too - I tell people it's just a cultural thing but in
        reality it's just smart. Both of my coats are old - both were gotten
        extremely cheap but they are warm! A short parka made by the Inuit and a
        full length raccoon coat. Both were in perfect shape when I found them
        at a thrift store for less than $100 for both. Taken care of they will
        out live me unless Peta finds me first. And if anyone damages the hat I
        was given by a group of Mongolian musicians I played with one night in
        Beijing I will be beyond upset. Should not have even gotten it back in
        the country since at the last minute I realized that the crown of it was
        leopard although all you see is the black fox and the tail that runs
        down my back. :)