how to carry the x on a minivan

  • sunny keach
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 30, 2007
      So untill recently I had no need to carry my x on my van, because I rode the x instead of
      driving, but a family vacation is coming up and we are to all bring our bikes,
      how do you carry an x on a van, I need to leave the back rack for the other 4 bikes we will
      be bringing so I need to go on top of the van, I am planning on buying and stretching out
      a regular stand up roof mount rack. My bike has got fenders and disc brakes, and I don't
      want to remove my wheel everytime I throw it up there.
      thanks sunny
    • Mark Garvey
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
        Well, a couple of tips maybe, think about a small utility trailer, it can carry luggage as well as a bike rack, you don't have to hoist the bike up top every blinking time you have to load it up and it is FAR more secure than a rear carrier!  either that, or put the bikes inside and let the kids ride up top or on the trailer!  8-D

        mark

        On 8/30/07, sunny keach <sunny@...> wrote:
        So untill recently I had no need to carry my x on my van, because I rode the x instead of
        driving, but a family vacation is coming up and we are to all bring our bikes,
        how do you carry an x on a van, I need to leave the back rack for the other 4 bikes we will
        be bringing so I need to go on top of the van, I am planning on buying and stretching out
        a regular stand up roof mount rack. My bike has got fenders and disc brakes, and I don't
        want to remove my wheel everytime I throw it up there.
        thanks sunny

        ride to believe.
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto: rootsradicals-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Mark  Garvey
        Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!

        Check out the web site at:
        http://www.vine-ave.com

        contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at www.vine-ave.com

        I am a bicycling lifestylist!
      • Derek
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
          Thought I had replied to this earlier but didn't see it show up, if it
          does twice, my apologies :)

          I just bought a fold up utility trailer to haul my super long x's.

          Not close to finished, but I loaded up some bikes on it here just to
          give an idea. Trailer cost was $240 on sale a local hardware shop.
          1200 lb max payload.

          http://www.bikerubbish.com/photos/august2007/oh4.jpg

          I'll have some better photos and shot of it folded up as well soon at

          http://www.bikerubbish.com/bikey

          It's a pretty handy little unit....

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...> wrote:

          > Well, a couple of tips maybe, think about a small utility trailer,
          it can
          > carry luggage as well as a bike rack, you don't have to hoist the
          bike up
          > top every blinking time you have to load it up and it is FAR more secure
          > than a rear carrier! either that, or put the bikes inside and let
          the kids
          > ride up top or on the trailer! 8-D
          >
          > mark
          >
          > On 8/30/07, sunny keach <sunny@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > So untill recently I had no need to carry my x on my van, because
          I rode
          > > the x instead of
          > > driving, but a family vacation is coming up and we are to all
          bring our
          > > bikes,
          > > how do you carry an x on a van, I need to leave the back rack for the
          > > other 4 bikes we will
          > > be bringing so I need to go on top of the van, I am planning on
          buying and
          > > stretching out
          > > a regular stand up roof mount rack. My bike has got fenders and disc
          > > brakes, and I don't
          > > want to remove my wheel everytime I throw it up there.
          > > thanks sunny
          > >

          > > You're getting this message because you signed up to be an
          Xtracycle roots
          > > radical.

          > > ride to believe.
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > --
          > Putting the fun in dysfunctional for over 50 years!
          >

          > Mark Garvey
          > Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!
          >
          > Check out the web site at:
          > http://www.vine-ave.com
          >
          > contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!
          Details at
          > www.vine-ave.com
          >
          > I am a bicycling lifestylist!

        • Phil Good-Elliott
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
            The Yakima Raptor appears to be the replacement for the LockJaw units
            we have. I don't know about a long-enough tray for the X, but the
            LockJaw worked well for us in the past.

            http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=17

            hope this helps.

            -Phil