FreeRad frame repair?

  • Kate and Rob Hanson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2014
      I recently noticed a crack in one of the tubes on the drive side of my circa 2006 FreeRad. Fore of the derailleur. Can it be welded and/or reinforced, or does such a crack usually require replacement? I know, it probably depends on lots of things. Experience and advice appreciated.

      —Rob
      Cheverly, MD (DC area)
    • David Forbes
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2014
        Rob,

        Mide did the same thing last year after two years of carrying a 60 lb. sound
        system. The original design is prone to this failure if loaded on the rear end,
        since the frame has no triangulation at the rear axle mounting point. Welding
        the crack will not solve the problem.

        I know a local engineer who's big into Xtracycles. He welded on a truss system
        to my Free Radical to provide proper support to the axle. It's not too pretty,
        but it really strengthens the bike.

        On 7/3/2014 2:01 PM, Kate and Rob Hanson kate.rob@... [ROOTSRADICALS] wrote:
        > I recently noticed a crack in one of the tubes on the drive side of my circa 2006 FreeRad. Fore of the derailleur. Can it be welded and/or reinforced, or does such a crack usually require replacement? I know, it probably depends on lots of things. Experience and advice appreciated.
        >
        > —Rob
        > Cheverly, MD (DC area)
        >
        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > ------------------------------------

        > ride to believe.
        > ------------------------------------
      • Ty Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2014
          Does it help reduce flex? That's the only thing I don't like about the free radical and would steer me toward an Edgerunner or Big Dummy.

          If it does reduce flex, could you post some pcs?

          Back to the original poster:  I'm pretty sure your free radical can be repaired pretty easily by any competent welder. That was one of the reasons they went with chromoly steel in the first place. Take this with a grain of salt, as I've only had my free radical since 2/2014!

          Ty

          On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 2:07 PM, David Forbes dforbes@... [ROOTSRADICALS] <ROOTSRADICALS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          Rob,

          Mide did the same thing last year after two years of carrying a 60 lb. sound
          system. The original design is prone to this failure if loaded on the rear end,
          since the frame has no triangulation at the rear axle mounting point. Welding
          the crack will not solve the problem.

          I know a local engineer who's big into Xtracycles. He welded on a truss system
          to my Free Radical to provide proper support to the axle. It's not too pretty,
          but it really strengthens the bike.

          On 7/3/2014 2:01 PM, Kate and Rob Hanson kate.rob@... [ROOTSRADICALS] wrote:
          > I recently noticed a crack in one of the tubes on the drive side of my circa 2006 FreeRad. Fore of the derailleur. Can it be welded and/or reinforced, or does such a crack usually require replacement? I know, it probably depends on lots of things. Experience and advice appreciated.
          >
          > —Rob
          > Cheverly, MD (DC area)
          >
          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > ------------------------------------

          > ride to believe.
          > ------------------------------------

          ------------------------------------

          ------------------------------------

          ride to believe.

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              ROOTSRADICALS-digest@yahoogroups.com
              ROOTSRADICALS-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • George Gusses
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2014
          • 1 Attachment
          • 1.7 MB
          Take it to a local welder that likes bikes. I cracked mine and the local guy looked at it and added a shim type support. I had it weld it to the frame as well for xtra-strength. I'm really happy with it.
        • Pete B
          Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2014
            There are some pix of my FreeRad mods in the FreeRad album called X-Mod

            These were done by local frame repairer.

            Pete

            'The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community against his will, is to prevent harm to others. He cannot rightfully be compelled for his own good, or because, in the opinion of others, it would be wise, or even right. These are good reasons for persuading him, but not for compelling him.' : John Stuart Mill

            ------------------------------------

            ------------------------------------

            Message 6 of 7 , Jul 4, 2014
            • 1 Attachment
            • 1.8 MB
            Yes. Flex is greatly reduced.
            image.jpeg
            This picture shows where the free rad is connected to the frame with extra support. It makes a big difference.

            Remember to smile for no good reason :)
            George Gusses

            Message 7 of 7 , Jul 4, 2014
              This is the truss that Bryan Keener made for my Free Radical. Works
              rather well, although it gets in the way of the disc brake mount.

              http://www.cathodecorner.com/loudbike/images/truss.jpg

              --
              David Forbes, Tucson AZ