Bike to DC: Demonstrate in DC for the NBG!!

  • Cycle America - Nat Bicycle Greenway
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2001
      Attn:
      Thunderhead Alliance
      Susie Stephens,

      THX so much for setting up this interactive forum so we can can
      better exchange ideas and resources to empower our efforts as bike
      advocates! Toward that end, I'd like to invite those on this mailing
      to help our organization, the National Bicycle Greenway (NBG -
      http://www.bikeroute.com/NBG.html), build Bike to DC, the
      demonstration (http://www.bikeroute.com/CycleAmerica2000) we are
      holding on Sunday, 7/22, at the US Capitol. We want you to be a part
      of the excitement that will include thousands of cyclists, speakers
      from Congress and the bike industry and the nationally renowned band
      Janet Panic. It is here that we will be asking that America's
      decision makers build the network of coast-to-coast bicycle highways
      we call the National Bicycle Greenway into their legislative efforts.

      Nor are we strangers to DC. Last year with the help of Mount Rainier,
      MD mayor, Fred Sissine, and many many others, several thousand of us
      either celebrated at our Lighthouse send off, rode in the downtown DC
      rally, rode from places all over the USA to get to it, attended the
      festivities and street party in Mount Rainier afterwards or gave of
      their time, resources and expertise to make Cycle America 2000 a huge
      success. Our efforts were also sponsored the Cities of Santa Cruz and
      Mount Rainier as well as formally endorsed by Congressman Sam Farr.
      To see our symbolic send off from Santa Cruz go to:
      http://www.bikeroute.com/NBGLighthouseParty . To see what we did in
      DC, go to: http://www.bikeroute.com/CycleAmerica2000/2000Report.html .

      Indeed, it was a success and yet I learned a lot from the campaign
      that fully had me consumed for a solid 30 months. I now better know
      what is required to put the NBG pressure on key decision makers. I
      also learned that to reach more of America, that we cannot rely on
      the Internet alone; that we have got to work with the media and above
      all build coalitions.

      Toward this end, I will be attending the LAB Summit next month in
      Washington, DC, where I look forward to meeting as many of you as I
      can as we a put bicycling in the forefront of American Consciousness
      !! Wow!!

      btw: In the way of background, I am including the article that the
      League of American Bicyclists will soon be publishing in their
      magazine. "Bicycle Retailer" will soon be doing a piece about Bike to
      DC and "Bicycling" magazine has expressed enthusiastic interest (we
      are scheduled to talk on Friday):

      ----------
      Rally with us at the US Capitol!

      In 1977 I was told I may never walk again and that I likely would
      spend the rest of my life in a nursing home because of the injuries I
      had sustained in a car wreck. I had forsaken bicycling for this
      depressing turn of events? Was this all that my now car centered
      lifestyle could promise me?

      I mean after all, I had followed the plan. In working my way through
      college, like all of my friends, I had been oblivious to the fact
      that much of my pay subsidized my "grown up" car habit. And the
      degree I got in accounting, insured that I could build an even better
      world around my automobile. And yet on my first ever paid vacation
      that this push to accumulate rewarded me with, I ended up barely
      alive.

      What did I tell myself once I was finally able to bike to rebuild my
      broken body and mind? I said that if I ever got whole again that I
      would use the example of my life to inspire people to know how
      beautiful it is to be able to use our bodies to MOVE. And how can one
      better celebrate this awareness than with the simplicity of
      bicycling? And yet our car centered lifestyles are making this
      freedom, this joy difficult, if not impossible for most to realize.

      And that is why I am asking America to join me on July 22 in
      Washington DC at the US Capitol as we rally for the nationwide
      network of bike roads we call the National Bicycle Greenway (NBG).
      Come hear the exciting band Janet Panic and congressional leaders as
      we all call for a better way to use our bodies to move. For more info
      about our demonstration, the NBG or my book, go to www.bikeroute.com.

      Martin Krieg, a former LAB columnist is the author of "Awake Again",
      the story of his two bike rides across America, one for the Head
      Injury Foundation that reached 40 million people, after his clinical
      death, two months in a coma, and right side paralysis.

      M A R T I N K R I E G
      Bent Since '83, Car Free Since '89, Attacking with Love
      Coma, Paralysis, Clinical Death Survivor
      '79 & '86 TransAm Vet, "Awake Again" Author
      Demonstrate in DC with us: http://www.BikeRoute.com
      N A T I O N A L B I C Y C L E G R E E N W A Y