long loaders

  • Jeff Youngstrom
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2014
      The recent conversation about Wide Loaders (WL) vs. U-Tubes (U-T) reminded me I've been meaning to get a new WL (reason below after my question), but when I went to xtracycle.com to check on them I was startled to see or rather NOT see the Long Loader (LL) offset bar on the site any more.

      Did they quit making it? Why?

      My LL is permanently attached to my WL after bouncing the leading edge of the WL off a trail bollard a number of years ago. The combination is still functional, but it doesn't work with my KickBack (KB) since the WL bent at the FreeRadical so it won't go through the KB arm. Sucks, because the time when I would most like to have my ultra-stable stupidly-wide kickstand available I've had to take it off and put on the puny stock kickstand on the wrong side to help with loading on my setup.

      WL vs. U-T wafflers note that a WL with LL is just wide enough to allow four thicknesses of 2x lumber securely on the platform as I learned this weekend when carrying 4 8-foot 2x12s on mine. Does the U-T even work with a LL? How much narrower are they?

      Picture doesn't demonstrate this fact, but does demonstrate the kickstand conundrum.

      Anyway, no more Long Loaders? WTF?

      Peace,
      Jeff
    • Ty's Gmail
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 28, 2014
        I think you can still get the long
        Loader at biketrailershop.com, but am not sure. I'm sure you can get one if you look, regardless.

        Officially, the long loader only works with the wide loader, but I'm pretty sure you can make it work with the Utubes with a little modification.  I know, as I bought my free radical, utubes, long loader, etc., all in one shot and didn't read things carefully enough.

        I noticed the part of the long
        Loader that goes over the wide loader is just a smidge too long to fit over the utubes. It looks like maybe a 1/4" needs to come off.

        Warranty be dammed, I'm going to do it soon.  I can't see how it won't work, but wiser heads might chime in and kindly point out that I'm being an idiot.

        Ty

        Sent from my iThing

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 29, 2014
          I had to modify my longloaders a while back by grinding/hacking off just a little bit of the tubes, which slide over the wide-loaders. It has been so long I forget exactly why I did it. It might have been because I could not get the kick-back to work with my Big Dummy on my wide-loaders, which were first generation wide-loaders without the spring-lock-buttons. The only other reason I can think of for why I needed to trim down my long-loaders might be due to mounting my "dog-chariot" project. Whatever the reason was, I do remember contacting Xtracycle because I was worried about voiding the warranty for the other parts, which my modded long-loader would be connected to. As expected, they told me I would not be able to ever return my modified long-loaders, which I did not mind because I had already had them for years beyond what I would expect to be the warranty period. I was also relieved to know modifying the long-loaders slightly as I described would not affect any of my other part/bike warranties. Therefore, Ty, you should have nothing to worry about.

          On a side note, I am actually quite shocked to hear Xtracycle is discontuing the making/selling of long-loaders. They REALLY make the bike that much more useful. Even if a person does not haul long items, the extra bar in the front of the load assists in bracing, especially when braking real fast on a downhill, etc. Can anyone associated with Xtracycle on this list confirm the end of long-loaders? My guess would be long-loaders are not currently available on their site because they might be out of stock or perhaps they are about to introduce a better model. You certainly can not accuse Xtracycle of not innovating its product lines, but somehow I highly doubt they would totally stop offering some kind of long-loader equivalent.

          Ride safe,