Electric Edgerunner

  • jmk_spam
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14, 2014
      I was confused to learn that Xtracycle doesn't actually sell the electric kit for the Edgerunners. They just recommend pairing with a Bionx PL350.

      Isn't something you can actually buy from Xtracycle alone, but it's something your local shop has to put together for you....

      I was even more confused when a local shop I visited was putting together their own electric power systems on to Edgerunners using 500W motors and 48V 20AH batteries in custom cases.

      It seems a few people on this forum feel that Bionx isn't great at customer support and the higher Watt systems seem appealing.

      Can anyone speak to how/why Bionx seems to be getting partnerships with the bike manufacturers (I see Yuba uses them too now) when Bike shops seem to be going the other direction?

      Also, the Grin Stokemonkey option seems appealing, but it seems that it's still a work in progress.

      Any guidance on electrifying an edgerunner for SF hills and carrying kids would be greatly appreciated.

      Cheers,

      Joel
    • smpowrie
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 28, 2014
        Joel,

        I have had 2 BionX - 2 of the 250 watt models with the earlier NiMH batteries. I can't speak for the USA or Canada but in Australia they are outrageously expensive, especially for a direct drive motor. Really I must have either been stupid, misinformed or maybe in some sort of magnetically induced consumerist haze when I bought those bxxxdy things. ! I now realise that they are rubbish - perhaps the worst value and most over-priced electric assist on the market! They are unreliable, vulnerable to water and physical damage, designed with little or no resilience, impossible to get parts or service assistance for and conceptually dumb.

        These acerbic comments are all just my opinion of course but I can assure you that they are based on expensive and bitter real-life experiences! I suspect that the 'partnerships' you refer to just result from their marketing dep't presenting apparently attractive deals to manufacturers.

        If you want something really nice, really powerful and custom made for the Edgerunner I'd get the Grin Stokemonkey in the RSD torque-sensor, 'slow-wind' pedal assist version. There's a complete kit now available and you'll know you're getting just about the best supported device around. Or if you just want cheap and cheerful get a Bafang BBS-2 750 watt from em3ev with a nice big high quality em3ev battery. It's a sealed unit any fumbler can install in an hour or so and that comes with both throttle and pedal assist.

        All for the same price or less than the BionX.

        If neither of these high quality mid-drive items grab you just go and get a big direct-drive motor or maybe a MAC ready-built into a suitable 20" rear wheel. Em2ev sell complete high-quality kits ready to go!

        All of these options will put you light years ahead of the realm of sorrow that is BionX ownership!

        Savvas.