U-Tubes or Wideloaders?

  • rltilley
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2014
      I ended up wrecking one of my Wideloaders by getting the locking button stuck in a place it wasn't meant to be. I ended up getting it out of the frame of my Big Dummy but ruined the unit in the process. Luckily the right side loader ‎is the one I trashed since I use the left far more often.

      The question I have is, if I were to pick up a new set should I consider the U- Tubes instead? Are they wide enough to support most loads?‎ A typical use for my Wideloaders is to hold a Rubbermaid bucket which is maybe 20" wide at the bottom. Are the U-Tubes able to handle something like this? I haven't carried any passengers but may someday so the footrests could come in handy.

      Thanks for any opinions you could share!

      Robert Tilley
      San Diego, CA

      Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network.
    • truckbike
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 21, 2014
        Nobody answered this question and I'd be interested in hearing people's experiences and the pros/cons of the Wide Loaders vs. the U-Tubes.  I regularly take my Edgerunner out a door and down/up 4 steps every day and I'm wondering it's actually going to fit through the door with Wide Loaders on.  Also, how easy it to take them off and on?
      • Liam Casey
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 27, 2014
          An Edgerunner with two Wideloaders definitely won't fit through any standard door. With just one Wideloader, it's a tight squeeze through most doors. The U-Tubes are considerably narrower and shouldn't be a problem as long as you can fit your handlebars through the door when straight.

          I'd say both are pretty easy to install and remove... if you don't have the Kickback. The Kickback flat-out doesn't work with the U-Tubes -- hopefully Xtracycle will rectify this soon -- and it makes installing and removing the Wideloaders a bit more difficult. It isn't horrible (with a little practice, you can do it in about 10 seconds), but the bike can't stand up during the process, so you have to lean it. It's annoying enough that for me it makes the difference between removing the Wideloader when I come home to just leaving it on there all the time. I'm a rather extreme case, though, since I use the Wideloader nearly every time I ride.

          Liam

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 27, 2014
            On 2014-04-27, at 11:01 AM, Liam Casey <zyzzyva23@...> wrote:

            > An Edgerunner with two Wideloaders definitely won't fit through any standard door. With just one Wideloader, it's a tight squeeze through most doors. The U-Tubes are considerably narrower and shouldn't be a problem as long as you can fit your handlebars through the door when straight.

            A Big Dummy 1.0 is 32 inches wide with the Wideloaders on (I just checked). Lots of doors are only 30 inches wide.

            You might be able to trim the ends of the wideloaders and move the pins a little bit.
            There's enough clearance in the kickback and longloaders to allow you to move each side maybe an inch and a quarter.
          • Davey Oil
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 27, 2014
              I'd say that the u-tubes offer 90% of the utility of wideloaders and are narrow enough that you will almost certainly never need to remove them.

              Also, I'm not sure what went wrong for Liam Casey, but the kickback most definitely does work with utubes. I've installed dozens of them like that at the cargo bike
              Shop where I work.

              I love the utubes and recommend them most highly.

              Davey

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 27, 2014
                Good to hear the they will work with the Kickback‎ as that would be a deal breaker for me if they didn't. Thanks!

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 28, 2014
                  Hi,

                  Thought I had replied previously. I have a Big Dummy and a set of U-
                  tubes. I can't imagine the circumstances in which I would either need
                  the wide loaders or be able to live with their ridiculous width.
                  Maybe if I was regularly carrying very large and bulky boxes, but in
                  that case I'd just go and get a 2nd bike - maybe a front loading
                  bakfiets style of thing like a CETMA.

                  The U-tubes are fine.

                  Savvas
                • rwieneke@swbell.net