Xtracycle has revamped their website

  • ty_jedi
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 18 7:19 AM
      Just took a look at the Xtracycle website it and it has been completely overhauled. Definitely looks more polished and shiny, yay!

       The only criticism I have so far that I can't look up specific accessories in the same way I could before. I only recently did the free radical conversion to my old mountain bike, and went nuts with accessories, buying things I might use at some point. One thing I got was U-Tubes, for cargo and passengers. I also bought the long-loader. My mistake was not noticing that it does not work with the U-Tubes. I only found out last weekend when I went to haul my ancient plasma TV to E-Waste. The long-loader ALMOST fits, but not quite. So now I'm debating about exchanging the U-Tubes for the Wide Loaders, or just returning the long loader and doing without.

      Anyway,  I wanted to refresh my memory on weight capacity of each and went to the Xtracycle site and saw the new look. However, I noticed I couldn't pull up the same info on accessories on those accessories that I could before. I later found what I needed to know at bike trailershop.com.

      Manuals and things like that were easier to find on the new site, but no links to the Xtracycle blog or the Xtracycle community page either. I later found the blog here, abut there is nothing there.  I'm guessing the website will be gradually fleshed out with more content later.

      What do the rest of you think of the new website so far?

      Ty
    • lectroid94521
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 21, 2014
        I finally got around to checking out the web page.  I am really surprised there aren't more comments here.  Sadly the "fleshing out, that Ty was expecting doesn't seem to be happening.-hard to find the free rad at all, only the bikes are featured in the main top menu, have to hunt to the bottom to find the free rad, it seems really de-emphasized
        -Old knowledge base seems to be dead and gone.
        -gone is the "open source spec" feeling and emphasis
        -V-racks now have braze-ons for water bottles, but I can't find this info ANYWHERE on the site
        -Hard to tell if https://getsatisfaction.com/xtracycle
        is really still active, I don't know how you even found it, I can't just clicking around on the site.
        -accessory data is lacking.  I see "stirrups" which is a great product that I would have probably bought, but I can't see anything regarding details or price, which I guess is because no direct sales?  But I still want to know more.
        -ZERO mention of the Surly Big Dummy, just makes it seem like they are a competing BIKE company.

        Looks like some tough business decisions have been made to emphasize whole bike sales.  I won't argue or doubt them for it, I hope the business thrives so we have more longtail riders out in the world.

        ~rkt
      • sputter_wh00t
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 21, 2014
          New Xtracycle user here. I too noticed that the free radical was de-emphasized on the website. All the old "open source" info PDF's I'd heard about on previous threads are missing from their website. I sent them a message a few days ago about it, asking if it was still available. No reply yet. I was surprised to see that these files were not in the files section of this group. If anyone has them locally please upload them to the group or email them to me please! :)
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 21, 2014
            On 2014-08-21, at 12:48 PM, rkt88edmo@... [ROOTSRADICALS] <ROOTSRADICALS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            > I finally got around to checking out the web page. I am really surprised there aren't more comments here. Sadly the "fleshing out, that Ty was expecting doesn't seem to be happening.-hard to find the free rad at all, only the bikes are featured in the main top menu, have to hunt to the bottom to find the free rad, it seems really de-emphasized

            > -Old knowledge base seems to be dead and gone.
            > -gone is the "open source spec" feeling and emphasis
            > -V-racks now have braze-ons for water bottles, but I can't find this info ANYWHERE on the site

            > -ZERO mention of the Surly Big Dummy, just makes it seem like they are a competing BIKE company.
            >
            > Looks like some tough business decisions have been made to emphasize whole bike sales. I won't argue or doubt them for it, I hope the business thrives so we have more longtail riders out in the world.

            It’s hard to imagine tougher than back in the depths of the bust.

            To me it looks like they might finally be getting some traction with the EdgeRunner,
            which (to me) looks like it would “just work” for a lot of people, and they are optimizing
            their site for that bike. The less their customers are confused by choices that they
            won’t actually make, the better for them.

            The Big Dummy is “quite a bike” (I own one), but that’s both good and bad;
            it’s not low-stepover-friendly, practically nobody is going to spring for Rohloff,
            and the EdgeRunner appears to have a nicer ride (from my limited test-riding).
            The FreeRadical is more of a budget option, but it’s really non-standard and
            I think really requires some bikey knowledge on the part of its owners. That
            knowledge is depressingly rare; there’s tons of people out there who don’t
            know the first thing about changing tires or adjusting brakes, never mind the
            comfort level you’d need to install/maintain/adjust a FreeRadical.

            So I don’t think it’s necessarily bad news or “tough” decisions at all. They’re
            definitely a small company that needs to worry about the wolf at the door, but
            what they’ve done makes perfect sense for the product they’ve got right now.

            All that said, I think it would be nice if they could find a way to support tinkering
            and fiddling in some non-distracting part of the webstie. Small parts sales might
            not make them a fortune, but won’t break the bank to keep them in inventory, either.

            David
          • rltilley
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 21, 2014
              ‎I don't like it at all either. Went in a while ago to check out the U-Tubes & possibly buy some but information was basic at best & it now looks like they don't have an option to purchase. Guess we need to go through dealers now? It's a bad move from my perspective as a customer & fan of the products.

              Robert Tilley
              San Diego, CA

              Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network.
              > I finally got around to checking out the web page. I am really surprised there aren't more comments here. Sadly the "fleshing out, that Ty was expecting doesn't seem to be happening.-hard to find the free rad at all, only the bikes are featured in the main top menu, have to hunt to the bottom to find the free rad, it seems really de-emphasized

              > -Old knowledge base seems to be dead and gone.
              > -gone is the "open source spec" feeling and emphasis
              > -V-racks now have braze-ons for water bottles, but I can't find this info ANYWHERE on the site

              > -ZERO mention of the Surly Big Dummy, just makes it seem like they are a competing BIKE company.
              >
              > Looks like some tough business decisions have been made to emphasize whole bike sales. I won't argue or doubt them for it, I hope the business thrives so we have more longtail riders out in the world.

              It’s hard to imagine tougher than back in the depths of the bust.

              To me it looks like they might finally be getting some traction with the EdgeRunner,
              which (to me) looks like it would “just work” for a lot of people, and they are optimizing
              their site for that bike. The less their customers are confused by choices that they
              won’t actually make, the better for them.

              The Big Dummy is “quite a bike” (I own one), but that’s both good and bad;
              it’s not low-stepover-friendly, practically nobody is going to spring for Rohloff,
              and the EdgeRunner appears to have a nicer ride (from my limited test-riding).
              The FreeRadical is more of a budget option, but it’s really non-standard and
              I think really requires some bikey knowledge on the part of its owners. That
              knowledge is depressingly rare; there’s tons of people out there who don’t
              know the first thing about changing tires or adjusting brakes, never mind the
              comfort level you’d need to install/maintain/adjust a FreeRadical.

              So I don’t think it’s necessarily bad news or “tough” decisions at all. They’re
              definitely a small company that needs to worry about the wolf at the door, but
              what they’ve done makes perfect sense for the product they’ve got right now.

              All that said, I think it would be nice if they could find a way to support tinkering
              and fiddling in some non-distracting part of the webstie. Small parts sales might
              not make them a fortune, but won’t break the bank to keep them in inventory, either.

              David
            • Pete B
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 21, 2014
                Don't like the new site either but I have the luck of having http://www.cargocycles.com.au/ (the sole Australian dealer) in my home town (and on my commute).

                They don't stock everything but they have enough.

                'The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community against his will, is to prevent harm to others. He cannot rightfully be compelled for his own good, or because, in the opinion of others, it would be wise, or even right. These are good reasons for persuading him, but not for compelling him.' : John Stuart Mill

                On 22 August 2014 10:03, rltilley@... [ROOTSRADICALS] <ROOTSRADICALS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                ‎I don't like it at all either. Went in a while ago to check out the U-Tubes & possibly buy some but information was basic at best & it now looks like they don't have an option to purchase. Guess we need to go through dealers now? It's a bad move from my perspective as a customer & fan of the products.

                Robert Tilley
                San Diego, CA

                Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network.
                > I finally got around to checking out the web page. I am really surprised there aren't more comments here. Sadly the "fleshing out, that Ty was expecting doesn't seem to be happening.-hard to find the free rad at all, only the bikes are featured in the main top menu, have to hunt to the bottom to find the free rad, it seems really de-emphasized

                > -Old knowledge base seems to be dead and gone.
                > -gone is the "open source spec" feeling and emphasis
                > -V-racks now have braze-ons for water bottles, but I can't find this info ANYWHERE on the site

                > -ZERO mention of the Surly Big Dummy, just makes it seem like they are a competing BIKE company.
                >
                > Looks like some tough business decisions have been made to emphasize whole bike sales. I won't argue or doubt them for it, I hope the business thrives so we have more longtail riders out in the world.

                It’s hard to imagine tougher than back in the depths of the bust.

                To me it looks like they might finally be getting some traction with the EdgeRunner,
                which (to me) looks like it would “just work” for a lot of people, and they are optimizing
                their site for that bike. The less their customers are confused by choices that they
                won’t actually make, the better for them.

                The Big Dummy is “quite a bike” (I own one), but that’s both good and bad;
                it’s not low-stepover-friendly, practically nobody is going to spring for Rohloff,
                and the EdgeRunner appears to have a nicer ride (from my limited test-riding).
                The FreeRadical is more of a budget option, but it’s really non-standard and
                I think really requires some bikey knowledge on the part of its owners. That
                knowledge is depressingly rare; there’s tons of people out there who don’t
                know the first thing about changing tires or adjusting brakes, never mind the
                comfort level you’d need to install/maintain/adjust a FreeRadical.

                So I don’t think it’s necessarily bad news or “tough” decisions at all. They’re
                definitely a small company that needs to worry about the wolf at the door, but
                what they’ve done makes perfect sense for the product they’ve got right now.

                All that said, I think it would be nice if they could find a way to support tinkering
                and fiddling in some non-distracting part of the webstie. Small parts sales might
                not make them a fortune, but won’t break the bank to keep them in inventory, either.

                David

              • Jesse Leifert

                  > I finally got around to checking out the web page. I am really surprised there aren't more comments here. Sadly the "fleshing out, that Ty was expecting doesn't seem to be happening.-hard to find the free rad at all, only the bikes are featured in the main top menu, have to hunt to the bottom to find the free rad, it seems really de-emphasized

                  > -Old knowledge base seems to be dead and gone.
                  > -gone is the "open source spec" feeling and emphasis
                  > -V-racks now have braze-ons for water bottles, but I can't find this info ANYWHERE on the site

                  > -ZERO mention of the Surly Big Dummy, just makes it seem like they are a competing BIKE company.
                  >
                  > Looks like some tough business decisions have been made to emphasize whole bike sales. I won't argue or doubt them for it, I hope the business thrives so we have more longtail riders out in the world.

                  It’s hard to imagine tougher than back in the depths of the bust.

                  To me it looks like they might finally be getting some traction with the EdgeRunner,
                  which (to me) looks like it would “just work” for a lot of people, and they are optimizing
                  their site for that bike. The less their customers are confused by choices that they
                  won’t actually make, the better for them.

                  The Big Dummy is “quite a bike” (I own one), but that’s both good and bad;
                  it’s not low-stepover-friendly, practically nobody is going to spring for Rohloff,
                  and the EdgeRunner appears to have a nicer ride (from my limited test-riding).
                  The FreeRadical is more of a budget option, but it’s really non-standard and
                  I think really requires some bikey knowledge on the part of its owners. That
                  knowledge is depressingly rare; there’s tons of people out there who don’t
                  know the first thing about changing tires or adjusting brakes, never mind the
                  comfort level you’d need to install/maintain/adjust a FreeRadical.

                  So I don’t think it’s necessarily bad news or “tough” decisions at all. They’re
                  definitely a small company that needs to worry about the wolf at the door, but
                  what they’ve done makes perfect sense for the product they’ve got right now.

                  All that said, I think it would be nice if they could find a way to support tinkering
                  and fiddling in some non-distracting part of the webstie. Small parts sales might
                  not make them a fortune, but won’t break the bank to keep them in inventory, either.

                  David

                • Ty Smith
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 22, 2014
                    You can still get all your "stuff" at their official web store now, which is the Xtracycle section at  Bikebagshop.com. I've ordered things from them since getting my FreeRadical last February and their system works just fine. I agree, not as much detail as the old site, but at least the stuff is there.

                    Also, if you do email Xtracycle on the help section of the website, Robert Alverson responds pretty quickly.

                    Like other posters have mentioned, they are moving their focus to the Edgerunner, but they haven't forgotten the FreeRadical folks either.

                    Just my two cents.

                    On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 5:17 PM, Jesse Leifert 903house@... [ROOTSRADICALS] <ROOTSRADICALS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> [...]

                    The FreeRadical is more of a budget option, but it’s really non-standard and
                    I think really requires some bikey knowledge on the part of its owners. That
                    knowledge is depressingly rare; there’s tons of people out there who don’t
                    know the first thing about changing tires or adjusting brakes, never mind the
                    comfort level you’d need to install/maintain/adjust a FreeRadical.

                    So I don’t think it’s necessarily bad news or “tough” decisions at all. They’re
                    definitely a small company that needs to worry about the wolf at the door, but
                    what they’ve done makes perfect sense for the product they’ve got right now.

                    All that said, I think it would be nice if they could find a way to support tinkering
                    and fiddling in some non-distracting part of the webstie. Small parts sales might
                    not make them a fortune, but won’t break the bank to keep them in inventory, either.

                  • David Dannenberg
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 23, 2014
                      I’ll be more blunt. I hate the new website. Can’t find anything anymore. Close to zero information about accessories—if you can find them at all. I don’t know what they are thinking.

                      David
                    • George Gusses
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 25, 2014
                        Agreed.

                        Remember to smile for no good reason :)
                        George Gusses

                        On Aug 23, 2014, at 9:53, "David Dannenberg ddannenberg@... [ROOTSRADICALS]" <ROOTSRADICALS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                        I’ll be more blunt. I hate the new website. Can’t find anything anymore. Close to zero information about accessories—if you can find them at all. I don’t know what they are thinking.

                        David

                        ------------------------------------

                        ------------------------------------

                        ride to believe.
                        ------------------------------------

                        Yahoo Groups Links
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 26, 2014
                          On 2014-08-23, at 12:53 PM, David Dannenberg ddannenberg@... [ROOTSRADICALS] <ROOTSRADICALS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          > I’ll be more blunt. I hate the new website. Can’t find anything anymore. Close to zero information about accessories—if you can find them at all. I don’t know what they are thinking.

                          I see that too, but I understand why they are doing it, and it is not because they hate us, it is because they want to attract new customers. To a first approximation, all the long-time users of longtails — especially the bolt-on FreeRadical, extra-especially the people who bolted it on themselves — are fringe weirdos (yes, I resemble that remark). To grow, they have to appeal to more people than just us fringe weirdos, and that’s what the website redesign is supposed to do.

                          Could they have done a website that better appeals to us, too? Probably. But good website design is not something you get for free.

                          David
                        • Liam Casey
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 26, 2014
                            I'd like to take this opportunity to hype the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/*/xtracycle.com

                            It won't give you up-to-date info on everything, but you can at least see what was on the site before they "improved" it.

                            Liam

                            On 2014-08-23, at 12:53 PM, David Dannenberg ddannenberg@... [ROOTSRADICALS] <ROOTSRADICALS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                            > I’ll be more blunt. I hate the new website. Can’t find anything anymore. Close to zero information about accessories—if you can find them at all. I don’t know what they are thinking.

                            I see that too, but I understand why they are doing it, and it is not because they hate us, it is because they want to attract new customers.  To a first approximation, all the long-time users of longtails — especially the bolt-on FreeRadical, extra-especially the people who bolted it on themselves — are fringe weirdos (yes, I resemble that remark).  To grow, they have to appeal to more people than just us fringe weirdos, and that’s what the website redesign is supposed to do.

                            Could they have done a website that better appeals to us, too?  Probably.  But good website design is not something you get for free.

                            David

                            ------------------------------------

                            ------------------------------------

                            ride to believe.

                            <*> Your email settings:
                                Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                                (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:
                                ROOTSRADICALS-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                ROOTSRADICALS-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          • David Dannenberg
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 27, 2014
                              I am sure they have good reason. I suppose the site works to market to someone. I don’t think they hate us. It is just enormously frustrating for me to try to get any information about any of the products. There used to be a photo and description of every accessory, sometimes even a link to a video (the sidecar for example). I don’t know how I would even buy most of the products now or even know that they exist.